Hair algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-07-2003, 09:13 PM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I didn't see a topic specifically related to "Hair Algae", so here my question is....

In my tank I have recently started to fertalize and dose micros etc.... I am getting more growth than I have been in the past (a good thing). One thing I am not dosing is phosphate. I am starting to get this brownish green hair algae, and was wondering if by not dosing phosphate I am encouraging this algae. Any ideas?

-Tim
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

You know Tim, when I dumped the kitty litter and re-setup the tank again... I was almost afraid to start dosing again. I found that if I keep it in mind (all the time!) to stick to the 10 to 1 rule, I don't have any problem with algae. I also am sticking closer to the lower limits this time.
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:18 AM   #3
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm, I really don't know how much phosphate my tanks has.... I have been too cheap to buy a test kit, since the cheapest I have seen around here is $20 or so, anyone have some suggestions?

-Tim
Old 04-28-2003, 10:05 PM   #4
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

You've got to buy a test kit Tim! It's the only way to get a fairly accurate idea about your phosphate level. Mine is by Red Sea, and it was about $15.

You're gonna have to break loose some change and make a purchase my friend!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 02:59 PM   #5
PharCyde
Algae Grower

I have heard that the Rosy Barb can be known to eat Hair Algae. Has anyone had experience with the Rosy Barb eating this form of algae?
PharCyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #6
Rickster
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPiccolo5
Hmmm, I really don't know how much phosphate my tanks has.... I have been too cheap to buy a test kit, since the cheapest I have seen around here is $20 or so, anyone have some suggestions?

-Tim
Go here
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=4469
Phosphate test kit $7.99
Eheimpimp#137
90 gallon tank with water and some fish. Plants died and tank overrun with algae. Lights nearly burst into flames last weekend. Needs lots of help
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:48 AM   #7
lanstar
Planted Member

Rosey Barbs will definitely do a number on hair algae. They seem to prefer it. HOEVER, in my single experience with these fish, after they finished with the hair algae, they started in on the smaller leaved plants. So if you get some Rosey Barbs, you might try to find someone without plants who will take them and give them a good home when your done with them.

As for the Phosphate... I agree with everyone else, it's hard to say without testing. I put about 1 cc of Fleet Enema to 120 gallons of water once a week. (That stuff is powerful!) This keeps my phosphate concentration at about 1 ppm. The plants sure seem to pearl more (especially the micro swords) on "Phosphate day" and a few days thereafter.

The one thing that does seem to be true for me is that a small amount of phosphate certainly does no harm and seems to improve growth and help plants out-compete algae for other nutrients. I have no algae problems at present and have been dosing phosphate since before Christmas.

Too much and too little phosphate can both be bad things. A test kit would be a wise investment.

Take care...

Tim