Roseline barbs @ Petsmart in FC
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Grendel
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Roseline barbs @ Petsmart in FC

Not sure if this is really news, as I hadn't really checked into Petsmart's fish department in quite some time, but the location in Fort Collins had roseline barbs going for about six bucks when I was there yesterday. Just an FYI for anyone interested...

G

www.taghillcards.com
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Poor fish, gunna be sold to some noob

Lets hope somebody who knows what they are doing picks them up.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Vancover_WA_98683
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I live in the Vancouver, Washington area. Can't find any roseline here or in our neighboring state of Portland, Oregon. I've been to atleast 7 Petsmarts. I can only find them at my high end LFS stores at the best price of 3 for $25 (Rose City Aquarium).
Vancover_WA_98683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Someone here in AZ saw them at a petsmart recently too... $6.99 is an insanely low price for those fish. I haven't seen them at my local petsmart yet, but I hope to soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Vancover_WA_98683
Algae Grower

From what I have heard. These shipments are random and per area availability. For instance, the only one I've seen where it had a chance was a location in Vancouver, WA. Which had an empty tank with the Roseline tag still on. I asked the clerks and they said it never came in. The hunt is on and I presume it will appear sooner or later.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

dang i need to get to my petsmart and see if they are carring them!!!for that price will scoop up a group!!!!
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I noticed some different fish at the petsmart near me too, they are stocking Dwarf Neon Rainbows too.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Poor fish, gunna be sold to some noob

Lets hope somebody who knows what they are doing picks them up.
As if the LFS would do anything better for them. Every LFS I've ever been to(in about 15 states) will still sell fish to anybody as well. They just jack up the price even higher.

I think anyone who thinks the LFS is looking out for the fish is nuts.... Most of them still sell pacus, tiger shovelnose, and other fish that get so large no reasonable home aquarium can handle them.

The only difference is half of the local pet stores sell puppy mill dogs too.

I'm so over the LFS it isn't even funny. They've priced themselves right out of business. In my recent experience, petsmart has healthier fish than most lfs as the fish are not there as long and don't have to be subject to the crappy care any pet store offers them long term...

/rant.

Now go get a new light for your 20h and post some pics!
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #9
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

What if I were to say my LFS wouldn't sell me their fish because I had a un-cycled tank? I don't think you can judge all LFS that way, but yes, most do treat their fish poorly.

I am tearing my 20g down and selling it all

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #10
flowmsp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)

7 bucks is what a fish farmer can get them for wholesale price. Im guessing petsmart either buys such a large quantity they get them cheaper or they priced them wrong. Who knows, buy em up at that price though!
flowmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Haven't seen any at my local PetSmart. Been watching closely. I asked the one girl who works there that is actually helpful and she said they were in the system but none have been sent to their store or any stores nearby. My LFS still sells these for $24.99 each...
GitMoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #12
flowmsp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)

Same for me Gitmoe 24.99 although they are about 4 inches, my cousin in-law is a fish farmer. I got 5 from him, at $7 a piece....but i traded a 30 gallon for them lol.
flowmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
Vancover_WA_98683
Algae Grower

There seems to be a consensus of Roselines being $24.99 at most LFS. I guess it is a mark up off of what wholesalers use to charge. Now that a Walmart like chain store for our hobby is in and ironically buying from the same wholesalers. The prices will go down from their volume discounts. This is a long shot, but but are dicus next for them?
Not sure if you guys have seen, heard or remember, but about 3-6 years ago. Petco tried to sell silver arrowanas. I can be wrong on the timeframe, but I know certain peeps noticed. They were $40 for about a 5-6 inchers. It was a test trial I am sure cuz I never saw them again. Either death rate was too high with store showcase, or when the customers bring home and the14 day health guarantee was on their side.
Lets keep everyone posted and up to date with these threads when these barbs are seen.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #14
Vancover_WA_98683
Algae Grower

I thought about my recent post. Don't want this to shed any negative light about our "local fish store". They are still important to service our hobby needs, i.e. hard to find or uncommonly stocked species, plants, equipment, replacement parts, knowledge, etc. The topic of this thread is mainly "Roseline Barbs at Petsmart for $7". I would love to stock this specie in my tank when available but hesitant due to high prices, therefore, I just have a heavily community tetra tank. Looking for more colorations and roselines have it.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:15 AM   #15
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

I saw a Petsmart in Aurora also have Roselines for the $7. Also Aqua Import have them for around $17, last time I was there.