Dosing with a drip system idea
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
yetti82
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

Dosing with a drip system idea

Has anyone done or seen a dosing system that used a gravity fead drip system? I wouldn't think it would be very difficult to setup a drip system but my main concern is mixing the Micros and Macros before dosing to make sure that the quantities were correct. Any ideas on this would be awesome!

Heres what I' thinking of so far:

So basically the system would pulse the mixture on a set timer and the drip line would have a clap so that you can adjust the flow. The point where the dripline attaches to the container would be placed an inch or two above the blades so that it never gets a concentrated burst well above what it should. I could probly build a controler board for under five bucks and use the same little motor you find in a remote controlled car for the motor.

Let me know what you think and if it would work. If I get good feed back I will build the board and post up a step by step of how I built it. I expect the entire setup would probaly be a 25 buck project from start to finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Great idea! If you could find a way to separate the micros and macros, you'd be better off. I have an 'IV drip' on one of my tanks. I set it up using a couple small jugs, airline tubing and the valve controls you buy for air pumps. Works great. I like your idea better.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
yetti82
Algae Grower

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the feed back. I'll get started on the board and see what I can do about building a two chamber in one instead of two different setups for Micro and Macro.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm, i cant get idea how it works and what are blades for? And why drip line can get concetrated burst?
majstor76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
yetti82
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor76 View Post
Hmm, i cant get idea how it works and what are blades for? And why drip line can get concetrated burst?
the blades are to mix it as your concentrations will dilute starting from the top as it settles.

As the solution concentrates in the bottom the ppm will increase so inorder to avoid high doses you want to place the line closer to the middle inorder to avoid dangerous dosing levels. better to be a little low then it is to be to high.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetti82 View Post
the blades are to mix it as your concentrations will dilute starting from the top as it settles.

As the solution concentrates in the bottom the ppm will increase so inorder to avoid high doses you want to place the line closer to the middle inorder to avoid dangerous dosing levels. better to be a little low then it is to be to high.

Aha, i understand... But is the problem with higher concetrations on bottom of container so big that it needs regular mixing of liquid? If so, maybe it would be easier to just put powerhead on timer to mix it up.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
yetti82
Algae Grower

So I may wind up over my head but here goes....what are the parameters levels that need to be maintained in the tank? I have seen lots on how to dose but not sure of the exact ppm you want to maintain and of what elements. I ask mostly because if there is way to use a pico senser you could measure at top and at bottom or right side and left whatever gives you the most accurate results. From that data you could use a cheap PDA to track and then does accordingly. This way you have you are mixing the content slowly and basically inject each part of your solution into a release chamber. Yes I'm a programmer so with these variables I could setup an app to do all of this with a little help on what needs to be what
Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
yetti82
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor76 View Post
Aha, i understand... But is the problem with higher concetrations on bottom of container so big that it needs regular mixing of liquid? If so, maybe it would be easier to just put powerhead on timer to mix it up.
If I am understanding your question right, would it involve putting the powerhead pointed directly into the solution and use that instead of a mixing blade?

Edit: if your injecting more water into the solution then you are diluting it and can't dose because of how slow you have drip to avoid overdosing.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
yetti82
Algae Grower

Ok heres the second idea for a setup to control the parameters not just in your mixing solution but in the tank where you should really be concerned

Edit: Well after seeing the price of sensors I will hold off on this second idea till I get that 150G tank in another year
Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
yetti82
Algae Grower

heres another question for any chemists that reading this. How do the Micros react together in a large quantity over time? Will it change any compounds or are they going to be unaffected?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
If I am understanding your question right, would it involve putting the powerhead pointed directly into the solution and use that instead of a mixing blade?

Edit: if your injecting more water into the solution then you are diluting it and can't dose because of how slow you have drip to avoid overdosing.
No, i was thinking of powerhed beeing in the solution and working just to mix things, it wouldnt pull new water from anywhere.
Also , air pump could be also used
Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Be aware that as the liquid level in your reservoir goes down, it weights less and exerts less pressure across the flow restriction; which means less flow.

So the dosage when the reservoir is nearly empty will be quite a bit less than when the reservoir is full.

You can see this for yourself by hanging a Ziploc bag full of water from a top corner, then poking a large enough needle hole in the opposite corner that you get about 1 drop per second at first. Count the drop rate when the bag is 1/2 full, 1/4 full, etc.

You could compensate by using a larger reservoir and topping it off often enough that the liquid level doesn't change too much.

But if you're able to build a controller, you could also drive a pump (which can also be DIY'ed and cheap) that doesn't rely on gravity.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
yetti82
Algae Grower

a very valid point, thank you! What about setting up air flow that runs when the preasure drops to much in the chamber?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #14
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
a very valid point, thank you! What about setting up air flow that runs when the preasure drops to much in the chamber?
Like a reservoir that's sealed except for two ports; the controller pumps air in one, and fluid comes out the other?

I've heard that because air is compressable (and liquid is not), as the ratio of air to liquid in the reservoir increases, the output decreases.

But perhaps not nearly as much as a gravity drip system. I've never tried this one, so I can't say for sure.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #15
yetti82
Algae Grower

hmm, if it's the air to liquid ratio that causes the decrease in performance then what about dividing the chamber and creating a syringe affect? basically you have a rubber plug that will be pushed down by the air preasure. If I'm correct then doing it this way would remove the gravity feed and your air preasure would cause the release down the tube. Am I wrong in this assumption? this would also in affect allow you to place the feed anywhere so long as your resouvior is large enough to hold the distance to your release plus extra to last a couple weeks or a couple months.

Also i talked to my cad guy at work and he's making a drawing for me and I talked to our machinest and he will build whatever drawing I bring him. So I hope that I can get a prototype up and running here in a week. So keep the ideas and observations coming and together we can make a sweet dosing system I will post the drawing once I get it more then likely tomorrow.

Tags
dosing, dyi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.