Orchidman's Medium tech 10g - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

View Poll Results: Riparium or Traditional?
traditional aquarium ( i am planning on having some emersed plants on the DW in the 20 long 98 64.90%
riparium 53 35.10%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #61
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
what should i do??
I wonder if distracting him with live food or a female in a bowl next to the tank would help. You could put some worms, those used for bait, in the tank. OoglyBoogly has them in his tank. Keeps is fish busy.

On the other hand you could get some Cory's. If he is very aggressive though he will chase them into hiding.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #62
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i meant what should i do with the neons. i cant keep them in here. also, any tankmates that he wouldnt attack?
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #63
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Hard to know what he won't attack, but certianly something larger than the neons would be a good idea. Also, I'd try botttom feeders, as they won't be in his main "zone". My bettas all get on just fine with the corys in my tanks.

As for what to do with the neons, maybe you can give them away on Craigslist?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #64
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

i got my brother to set up a small tank for the neons. idk, what else i could put in. im not sure how the cories would do.

and scape ideas? to take it to the next level? maybe something that doesnt involve purchasing more stuff. im broke :\
Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #65
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Cory's usually ignore most other fish to the point that they get their eyes attached by fish, such as kribs, when they have fry. If your Betta is aggressive he will go after them. With Betta you never know how they will behave. I have found getting one that doesn't stare me when I check him keeps to itself.

Years ago, when I moved, I left a 20 gallon long tank with friends, which had a male Betta and guppies. He swam on the bottom. When he died they replaced him. The new one ate all of the guppies, so I was told.

If you want more tanks. Check out craigslist and freecycle. I once got several 10 gallon tanks free through craigslist.

Another thing you coud do with the neons is donate them to Petco or perhaps you can find an independent pet store that will give you credit.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #66
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

like i said, my brother is gonna take them

i think ill just get 2 more otos, and see how they do. maybe it would be a good idea to get 5 total?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #67
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

honestly you could have tried keeping the neons in the tank. I had a couple disappear at first but now I've had no problems with this group for a week (problems the first two nights but nothing since).

It may just take a few nights for your betta to get used to the tankmates.

You could also try Zebra Danios. I had some with my betta and they were just too quick for him to attack them. As long as they don't start fin nipping they will get along.

My only concern with Zebra and Leopard Danios is that their speed may be stressful to the betta. I haven't see any signs of stress from a danio but other people have, at times, reported this.
AquaStudent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #68
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

I think otos are better than danios. For the danios I feel should be in a tank bigger than 10G. The otos are fast and stay on low ground, thus will be out of the way of the Betta.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #69
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

i wouldnt want to put danios in that small of a tank. ive done it befopre, but i felt bad. the neons are still in the tnak, and i havent seen any aggression. so hopefully *knock on wood* everything will be alright.

im def getting more otos though
Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #70
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Danios are better in something more like a 20 gallon but they are ok in a 10. I admit they don't live to their potential in a 10.

More otos are a good idea. I'm trying to convince my local walmart (sadly the best place for fish in the area) to carry some otos. I need to call them tomorrow.
I'm glad to hear that the neons are still doing ok. Although I thought you moved them to your brother's tank.
AquaStudent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #71
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

i was going to get him to set a small one up, but he didnt yet. so it has to wait. there is some minor chasing going on.

ive had danios in a ten before. they were energetic, but i feel better with them in a larger tank. just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #72
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

algae is creeping back i think i might try starting with ei today or tomorrow. why wont it stop??? i got alot more plants like recommended, but its still creeping back
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #73
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

You could do a little DIY yeast co2, the algae won't much like that, but any co2 is beneficial to the plant, no matter the tech.

But right now, be patient. If one of your orchids gets scale, and you treat it, you have the bugs gone, but there is still problems that the plant is working out. The plant will eventually recover and fix the damage, no? Think of the algae as the scale, and the plant as your plants, but also your tank in general. The algae will go away when the tank is balancing itself.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #74
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

speaking of scale, been battling that all summer!! grr!

i dont want to go the co2 route. ill be ordering some metricide soon which is a substitute for excel, which gives carbon...right?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #75
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

the neons are seeming to do fine. i think leroy has gotten used to them. plus, if i feed him well, they should be fine. so i got 3 more neons.

i also got 3 more otos, the sale is ending soon if anyone was thinking of getting something. get them soon. i dont excpect all to make it, so i will just exchange the dead ones if some die. i shouldve gotten extra to account for the fatalities, because its not often they have otos. but i didnt think of that until later :P

i saw a fluval osaka, i kind of love it :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.