Endlers!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Exclamation

Endlers!

So guess what happened yesterday?

My friend was over and we looked in my Ebi, and I saw this little thing dart around. It took less than a second for me to realize what it was: a baby Endler! We turned the filter down all the way, because we had to go to lunch, and when we came back, we netted out about 25-30 Endlers! This is my first experience of breeding any fish or invertebrate (as long as inadvertently allowing snails to take over doesn't count)! But a few hours later, my male Endler was found stuck to the filter intake with shrimp scavenging... But now I have to raise the babies and breed them! Anyone have tips on raising them? I just took about an eighth of an algae pellet, crushed it to a fine dust and sprinkled it in. Oh and the fry are in a plastic cup chip-clipped to the side of the tank so that they get filtration and heat without predation!
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
chicken
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Very easy fish to raise. I don't do anything special, I just keep them in the same tank as their parents, and they eat finely crushed flake food, baby brine shrimp, and whatever microscopic critters they find amongst the plants.

Enjoy your baby endlers! As far as breeding them goes, unless you're trying to select for certain traits, there's nothing you need to do --they'll just do what comes naturally.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Great, thanks! If I end up selling some, how much do you think I could get if I sold them in groups of say, 10?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Congrats on the the fry! (And my condolences on the male.)

Breeding livebearers is really easy. Even in my 46g, with predators and large filter intakes that can easily suck in fry, and no special feeding, it seems like one or two somehow make it to maturity. With a little help, you can soon have more than you can handle.

Fry appreciate extra protein, so algae (vegetable) chips aren't the best. As far as what you're likely to have on hand, standard flake food crumbled to fine dust will successfully raise fry from day #1; although for the first couple of days, a tiny bit of hard-boiled egg yolk mashed to paste with a bit of water and dropped in is better. Try to feed smaller amounts multiple times a day; 2x daily is good, and 4x daily is better (they have tiny stomachs which fill and empty quickly). To give fry every possible advantage, there are plenty of other specialty and live foods, though they aren't absolutely necessary.

A lot of that food remains uneaten and can dirty up the tank (especially for the egg yolk), so I switch to 2x weekly water changes.

Raising tank temperature will accelerate their metabolisms and make them grow faster (and require more food). Pro breeders often go as high as 82F, I usually go no higher than 80F.

I try to get them out of the cup (or breeder box) just as soon as they're big enough to avoid predation. They seem to grow even faster then, probably because they can scavenge for the natural food Chicken mentioned. The filter intakes remain a threat in my tanks, so a bit of tulle (fine plastic mesh) from the craft store wrapped around the filter intake and secured with zip ties keeps them from getting sucked in. Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't clog.

Pretty much any guide on breeding guppies you can Google up will have additional tips that you might find useful.

As for sale price, it depends. Pure-bred Endlers with a known, uncorrupted lineage can often fetch a nice price. Don't represent them as pure-bred Endlers if they're not, or even if you're just unsure; call them hybrid instead.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Great, that helped a lot, I'm gonna have some yummy hard boiled eggs right now LOL!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

when i had mine, i didt do anything special, im sure the parent killed some, but there was enough fry that it went unnoticed. and that was in a tank with no live plants! so im sure if you has some nice healthy live plants, they will do great.

if you sell some, id be interested. ive been looking all over to find some endlers again, my last pair went carpet surfing
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Eddie80
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Endler's are endangered here in Venezuela. They are from a tiny lagoon in the northeast of Venezuela. The lagoon is polluted and tilapia was introduced as well.

If they are pure Endlers, by no means keep them with guppies, as they can cross breed.
Eddie80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
fauxjargon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

To keep endlers out of your filter, buy an aquaclear 70 filter sponge, cut it in half, cut a hole in that and stick it over your filter intake.

Also the reality with guppies is that some source of mortality (parents eating young, filters sucking in young, ect...) is usually desirable to control the breeding rate. As far as selling endlers, if they are just common pet store endlers they are not worth a whole lot. Depending on your LFS, I would just give them excess endlers.
fauxjargon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (239/100%)

How do you easily distinguish pure-bred Endlers from Hybrid?
herns is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
breeding, endler, fry, fry care, livebearer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.