Justin's Fluval Ebi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Justin's Fluval Ebi

After all the moving during the Winter break, I finally got everything in, well almost everything. Like everyone else mentioned, the intake slits of the internal filter are big enough to suck in the shrimplets. So I cut the original black bio-foam in half and stick one inside as a pre-filter. It works great since I will be using a bag of AquaClear Biomax filter insert instead of the bio-foam anyway. It comes in handy.

Right now, I have some juvy Painted Fire Red, a few regular female RCS, and a single CRS in it. I guess I will have to move the RCS to another tank soon as they are berried by the small PFR.. some cougar shrimps... It seems like the one CRS in the tank is pretty happy and healthy. I may get a few more to see if they will live and breed this time around. Scape-wise, I always wanted to get a few of those manzanita branches in there. But it seems like it's not that easy to come by, especially the ones that are small enough in this nano tank. So I opted for a few rocks for now. Hopefully, the plants will be ok and grow in some more in this low tech setup. So here we go, my new Fluval Ebi.

Fauna:
PFR and CRS

Flora:
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'
Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
Sagittaria subulata
Fissidens fontanus
Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas'

Level view,

PFR babies when they first got here,

One of the better colored regular RCS, not berried yet, maybe too big for the smaller PFR??

The lonely CRS,

One of the berried RCS,
justin182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Lookin' good! Take a look at my Ebi please; http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-rcs-more.html\

PS what grade is that CRS!? It looks really good, mine are B or C, and my parents got them for me, not knowing about grading LOL!
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe an A grade. It's always good to start with easier grades and move up from there!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Nice!
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

nice minimalist scape. try gluing some moss to the rock wall there to make it look real nice and blend with the scape. if you ask what glue will do this, try cyanocrealate super glue gel. im not sure how to spell it but its safe to use underwater (do the gluing in air of course). if youre nervous just do a quick WC after the gluing. But it really is very safe and worth a try.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
nice minimalist scape. try gluing some moss to the rock wall there to make it look real nice and blend with the scape. if you ask what glue will do this, try cyanocrealate super glue gel. im not sure how to spell it but its safe to use underwater (do the gluing in air of course). if youre nervous just do a quick WC after the gluing. But it really is very safe and worth a try.

Good idea man! Let's see how the java ferns and the crypt grow first. Maybe I will throw in some wood in the future.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So not much has changed in this tank. I moved all the RCS to my other tank, so from now on, this tank will only house PFR and CRS. Btw, forgot to mention that the PFR were from msnikkistar~! Big thumb up for Nicole!!!

Well, back to the more interesting stuff. I just got back from NYC a few days ago. It was a relaxing trip. I just kinda wondered around. I visited both Win and 123, and I liked Win more. They had some cool Sakura Fire Red, and some were REALLY deep red too . I just had to pick up a few. They also had a few CRS for $10 each. Pretty expensive, but I think if you knew when they got shipments in, there should be a good chance that you could find some high grade CRS in there. So, who else could I turn to for CRS in NYC? Lol Big props to Johnnyboy, a really nice and helpful guy!! After ~24 hours in a small bucket, and a road trip from NYC to Cleveland, they are all kicking in my tank. Most are still quite small, and hopefully, they will color up better in the near future.

CRS feeding on Ken's liver flakes,

A berried PFR. It's still quite small and I'm really eager to see her full color when she gets bigger,

This is one of the Sakura Fire Red I got. It's quite small too and it's already displaying good red color. Looks pretty cool,

Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Shoot.... the light bulb of the ebi fixture died already, after just a little over a month...
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #9
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

try giving it a flick/cord jiggle mine had "died" as well this brought it back for the time being
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
bigboij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #10
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
try giving it a flick/cord jiggle mine had "died" as well this brought it back for the time being

It works!!!!!!!!!!! It took WAY more than a flick, but it works!!! Let's see if that works again tomorrow...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mine came backup this morning, on its own with no messing with it. It had "died" on sunday, and i did this fix then. hopefully it keeps on for a while longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin182 View Post
It works!!!!!!!!!!! It took WAY more than a flick, but it works!!! Let's see if that works again tomorrow...
im 6'3" 260 so a flick from me is a nice little thump
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
bigboij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
mine came backup this morning, on its own with no messing with it. It had "died" on sunday, and i did this fix then. hopefully it keeps on for a while longer

im 6'3" 260 so a flick from me is a nice little thump

Well, it's REALLY DEAD this time. Had to order a replacement bulb already...
Old 01-29-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
Cynth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Your layout and shrimp look awesome. Very nice!

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
home grown
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin182 View Post
Well, it's REALLY DEAD this time. Had to order a replacement bulb already...
sorry to hear about the light. do you plan on getting something different later on?
home grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I'm currently debating an Ebi or a Spec . . . leaning towards the Spec because the filter is hidden.