My new Eheim 2028 CLONE
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-18-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
wantplantsnotwork
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

My new Eheim 2028 CLONE

I just got it delivered for $69 from bad-dog on ebay.

When I inquired about the delivery, via e-mail, he actually called to make sure I got it. Pretty amazing ebay experiance, I have never had that happen in over two hundred deals.

BTW, I do not know him, and can only vouch from this experiance, but it was good.

Now, on to the filter. I don't have pics because I have not figured out how to do that on this forum. But picture an Eheim 2028, and you pretty much have it. I set it up to start and seed on my 55 gallon, which already has a Eheim 2229 on it. The plan is to set it up on my 90 when the borg comes with carpet for the room.(!)

Setup took about all of 10 min. I set a 5 gallon pail up to about the same height of the 55, to see how long to fill it. 120 seconds. So at that rate, I figure 150 gph, a bit less than the 320 gph advertised. This seems to be common however. At twice the flow, it would be a set of rapids in a 55! I wonder now if I take the spray bar off and retest, if that number will change significantly.

I had trouble getting it to prime, but I think this because I had the tubes wire wrapped in a circle to save the extra length for the 90 setup. This allowed a pocket of air to stay stuck in the 'circle'. I gave up and sucked on the end of one of them, and was instantly rewarded with an operating canister. You could see that the prime pump was trying to do it, just not enough 'umph' to get the ball rolling hard enough to clear it. I think in the final installation, it will work as intended.

Completely quiet, you would not know it was running in a cabinet stand. So far a happy camper, I think it's off to Wallyworld for a big bag of stuffing floss for pillows (hyperallergenic, of course) to stuff the trays with. It only comes with one filter pad for the top to protect the pump inlet.

The cons: The inlet/outlet coupling system seems a little flimsy. It comes of course with twin shut off valves, but I am used to the Eheim thick/solid block type mount that is on the 2229. However, with do care, it probably won't be an issue. Spare parts may be another issue. I have no idea what kind of support it has in terms of spares. I am considering buying another just to have for parts. We'll see.

At $69 to the door, it is a little bit less 1/3 the cost of the very comparable Eheim.

Magic 8 ball when queried says "promising".
wantplantsnotwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 02:23 AM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

You got a decent deal. I have seen that same filter sell for over $100 not including the shipping. I have been trying for weeks to score one but my max bid is $42.00 and I have not seen one go that cheap yet. Most of them are in the $60-$70 range. And if I'm going to pay that amount I will get a Rena XP-3.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote