Aggressive Discus?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-18-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
Thooshe
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aggressive Discus?

I just bought 4 Discus for my planted tank about a week ago. After getting my wife calmed down for spending so much money, I noticed that one of them bullies the other three. It is not aggressive towards any other fish in the tank, but nips constantly at the other Discus. They all came from the same lfs and were in the same tank!

Anyone have any ideas?
Eheim Pimp Club member #7
Pimp Thread Starter

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
igotworms
Algae Grower

i have three discus and have had them for around 6 months. the biggest one still picks at the little guys. the bigger one is a hybred and the other two are heckles. are all of yours the same spieces? i wouldnt worry too much unless it starts to get out of control. good luck.
igotworms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
Thooshe
Planted Member

Two Red Melon and Two Blue Diamond. The bully is the darker of the two Blues.
Pimp Thread Starter

Old 12-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

Discus are an interesting variation on the typical cichlid. they *like* to be in groups, and find comfort in the regimentation and order in a school. I think of it like a pack of dogs or wolves. There has to be an alpha, and the alpha has to make sure everyone else is aware that he's alpha. I think that's what you have with your discus... just a bit of bossiness isn't so bad. if he starts injuring your other discus to the point that you're worried about infections, etc, then he's got to go (discus are too expensive and too pretty to take those kind of chances). best of luck, and congratulations on your discus!

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
igotworms
Algae Grower

i would agree with oqsy, i think there fine unless he starts hurting the other guys
igotworms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2004, 03:48 AM   #6
Thooshe
Planted Member

Got tired of the others hiding all time so I took him back. Now I have some credit at the LFS so I will get another to replace it.
Pimp Thread Starter

Old 12-22-2004, 04:25 AM   #7
Spar
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

mine picked off 10 cardinals right when I put them in the tank. wasnt expecting that.
100g - Planted Tank (mainly Swords)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/cbporter52/
Spar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2004, 04:38 AM   #8
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well I had a similar problem and it was making me nervous as the other discus were not feeding. I just put the aggressive one in a hospital tank for about ten days. When I returned him, he was noticably calmer and the problems subsided.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #9
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong

Its normal for discus to do this. They will establish a pecking order soon. This is waht i did to solve a problem:
If the bully is effecting the others health, you can take him out and put him a hospital tank for awhile and let hte other 3 grow bigger and claim the territory in the tank. then you can reintroduce the bully. He'll be relegated down the picking order by the established discus.

I have a pack of 6 discus. The big ones were getting picked on by a smaller blue diamond who thought he owned the tank so I took him out for awhile. The other discus took over hte tank. Once i put the blue one back in one discus actually stepped up and defended the others against the blue one. He attacked no other fish except for the bully. Discus have their own characters.
YOur 46gallon will be too small your discus. You may want to consider upgrading soon.
Keep an eye out for stress induced diseases such as hole in the head (Aka hexamita). its characterized by opaque whitish poop and spitting up food.

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder
rayhwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.