CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand black vs. flourite black sand - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
Baadboy11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

What fish are you getting? Tahitian moon and coalslag are not so good for cories/softbelly fish, where as flourite sand is. I've found the flourite is a little gray but still looks good. You could also check out estes black sand, I've heard a few good reviews on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
What fish are you getting? Tahitian moon and coalslag are not so good for cories/softbelly fish, where as flourite sand is. I've found the flourite is a little gray but still looks good. You could also check out estes black sand, I've heard a few good reviews on it.
I have 8 cory's and 4 kuhli loaches, they love the Tahitian moon sand and their bellies/barbels don't get red or damaged at all, I've never seen it happen since I've had it and I've had the corys the longest.

Coalslag I've heard can be sharp tho and can cause damage, the Tahitian moon does not have any sharp particles in it.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
Been using root tabs since I started the tank as well as the flourish line of ferts

And yes I've been using the Tahitian moon sand exclusively in my 29 ^^

I'm a guy btw :p

My apologies. Wish they had a gender is ..... thing on here. Sometimes it is hard to tell by user names.
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have 8 cory's and 4 kuhli loaches, they love the Tahitian moon sand and their bellies/barbels don't get red or damaged at all, I've never seen it happen since I've had it and I've had the corys the longest.

Coalslag I've heard can be sharp tho and can cause damage, the Tahitian moon does not have any sharp particles in it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Due to recent cuts and moved priorities for this tank, I can't afford to spend 100$ on just sand. (It will be going to a better light (catalina) and another filter (catalina CA1000) So instead I will be using PFS (pool filter sand). The sand I located is a nice color and is consistently smooth/grain size. Maybe later down the road I'll consider moving this tank over to either flourite sand or black moon sand.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Understandable!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #21
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Best off, this sand is definitely cory and soft belly safe
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #22
scape
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

29 gallon with tahitan moon sand only. Its about 2" for the most part. Root tabs + Seachem iron + flourish + excel + co2
scape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #23
Baadboy11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:

Just fyi I had opposite experience with TM, lost two cories due to infections from worn barbels...that was a while ago so maybe they changed things.

OP pool filter sand should work great for ya...good luck!!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, I just threw it in a glass jar into my 20G and I think it'll look nice. I also put some MTS underneath it and a few sprigs of hair grass, they are already shooting up new stems in a week's time.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 AM   #25
ibnozn

I've used Flourite black as well as TMS. Flourite black is better IMO. TMS is crushed obsidian (volcanic glass), and probably is not the best for bottom dwelling fish. Also, the TMS gets picked up very easily by magnetic glass cleaners and will scratch your glass.
ibnozn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #26
Burks
Wannabe Guru

Where are you guys getting the Black Diamond/Black Magic?
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #27
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Wish I knew, I wish we had a cerama-quartz dealer around here. I would have gone that route instead.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #28
Buc_Nasty
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnozn View Post
I've used Flourite black as well as TMS. Flourite black is better IMO. TMS is crushed obsidian (volcanic glass), and probably is not the best for bottom dwelling fish. Also, the TMS gets picked up very easily by magnetic glass cleaners and will scratch your glass.
I have used both as well - switched from flourite black sand to TMS.

Mag glass cleaners definitely picked up TMS, I got a few scratches before I realized, luckily nothing too bad.

The TMS is Much more black than flourite - the flourite is much more grayish. TMS looks better in my opinion.

The TMS is also extremely light. I'm actually having problems now with my filter (eheim 2262) being too strong and causing severe drifting of the sand and screws up the whole flow of the tank. I'm now exploring other options, may go back to the flourite black or flourite black sand - didnt have the 2262 when i had the flourite sand so not sure if it drifts/blows around.

Any have experience with flourite black gravel (not sand) - does it accumulate too much debris? I'm wondering if my strong current from filter will be able to blow the debris off it or if itll get stuck?
Buc_Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.