Rummynose Tetra: What to feed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-18-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Rummynose Tetra: What to feed?

I've added some Rummynose to my tank last night. Seem healthy, actively swimming and nice red noses. They don't seem particulaty in love with the flake food. I've broken it up but they spit it out.

Is this pretty typical of new fihs in general, adapting to taste? What do you feed yours?

thanks
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I started of feeding mine the same flake food (Omega One) the the LFS used. I've since supplemented with Hikari flake and micro pellets. Occasionally I feed them frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. I had more problems getting my Cardinals acclimated to new food than my Rummies.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
trenac
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would give the fish a few days to adapt to your tank, Rummynoses are sensitive and easily stressed, sometimes it takes them a few days to start to eat. Mine except all types food: frozen, flake, pellets etc.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:57 AM   #4
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

trenac said it... they're a little touchy, but worth it once they settle in! mine have always accepted every type of food after a couple of days break in time... interestingly, my mother's new discus (got it tuesday) was eating frozen beefheart and sinking pellets on the second day, and colored up like nothing i've ever seen. I had expected it to be finnicky for the first week or so. so it goes...

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

good information to know, thanks

the rummies have been schooling nicely and the red is quite strong on all their noses. not bad from petco. the angels in my tank have lost interest chasing them/trying to eat them, which is cool. i will still eventually probably parr down my angel population (4 in the tank now), to allow for more fish like cardinals, congos, corys, etc.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
trenac
Wannabe Guru

Sounds good, the redder the nose the less stressed they are.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:47 AM   #7
WolverineFan
Planted Member

Hi motifone, Do you currently have Congo's in with cardinals? My experience is that this is not a good mix. The Congo's can be pretty aggressive. Same goes for Congo's and rummynose's.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:03 AM   #8
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan
Hi motifone, Do you currently have Congo's in with cardinals? My experience is that this is not a good mix. The Congo's can be pretty aggressive. Same goes for Congo's and rummynose's.
I've had Congos (6), Cardinals (14) and Rummynose (8) Tetras in my 40 since March. If anything, the Congos have been the most timid of the three. Even when they're spawning they're not agressive (which means the Cardinals and Rummynose get a fresh caviar meal).
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Mine are not agressive eaters, some mornings they come to the top to feed and other mornings they stay mid tank and catch the leftovers or they are not interested at all. I have noticed the get really red if I give them live brine shrimp from the LFS, but I don't do that to much because of the bacteria that you might get with LBS. They are great indicators for water quality or the general heath of your tank, every time I've every put something in the water that shouldn't be there, their color lets me know.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:28 PM   #10
trenac
Wannabe Guru

My Rummynose Tetras are very timid eaters and peaceful toward other fish, however they do chase each other.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #11
WolverineFan
Planted Member

I am lucky enough to have an lfs that is really on the ball. The owner is maybe the second most knowledgeable I've ever met. He brings in cardinals and rummy noses 2000 at a time and ends up with less than 5% losses. His supplier down in Florida treats them somehow as soon as he gets them in. Out of the tap our water Ph is 8.2-8.6 and very hard to boot. I have lost one rummy nose and no cardinals since I began buying from him. They are never shy and are very aggressive eaters.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:01 AM   #12
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I only lost 1 of my 5 rummynoses that I bought from Petco of all places. I bought them over 3 weeks ago and the death occured when I was gone on vacation for two weeks -- so, all in all, not bad.

I have noticed they are still touchy about the food now and then, spitting it out. I use Wardley flakes and break it up. They must be eating something as they are healthy, active, with bright red noses.

Wolverine, no Congos Tetras in the mix yet. Just Angels and the Rummies. There was a little aggression at first from the Angels toward the Rummies, but that has passed. I still have not ruled out swapping out my Angels for Congos -- because I want to add shrimp and Cardinals (which I think will fall prey to the Angels). As bharada pointed out, Congos played nicely in his mix. Who knows, sometimes it's the luck of the draw.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #13
eums
Algae Grower

my rummy nose's like diapha(go crazy for it), tubifex worms and blood worms.
they get those every few days and mostly eat flake food with the rest of the tank.
Rancho single stage controler on an Ebo
160 lbs of eco-complete.
milwaukee co2 with controler & 5# tank
3xLake Kutubu Rainbow Fish, 6xRummy nose tetra, 5xOtocinclus, too many Cherry shrimp 5xAmino
eums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #14
shalu
Wannabe Guru

My Congo never bothered Rummynose or Cardinals either.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:32 AM   #15
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I put 8 rummynose in my 75 gallon with 2 Angels and 6 Congo's about 2 weeks ago... not a problem to be had. The rummynose would not eat anything I gave them for the first week, now they eat everything I give them.
A great schooling fish... of course its the "safety in numbers" rule in my tank...