Texas Proposal Could Stop Trade in Dozens of Aquarium Plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

Texas Proposal Could Stop Trade in Dozens of Aquarium Plants

Just seen this article. 43 species of aquarium species plants could be restricted in Texas.

Here is an article
http://www.petproductnews.com/headli...um-plants.aspx

Plant list:

Affected Aquarium Plants*
Ineligible Species List

1. Cardamine lyrata
2. Cryptocoryne becketti
3. Cryptocoryne wendtii
4. Cyperus helferi
5. Echinodorus grandiflorous
6. Gymnocoronis splilanthoides
7. Heteranthera zosterifolia (water stargrass)
8. Hydrocotyle leucocephala (water pennywort)
9. Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
10. Hydrotriche hottoniflora
11. Hygrophila angustifolia
12. Hygrophila balsamica
13. Hygrophila corymbosa
14. Hygrophila difformis (water wisteria)
15. Hygrophila pinnatifida
16. Limnophila indica
17. Marsilea hirsuta
18. Marsilea quadrifolia
19. Potamogeton gayi
20. Rotala indica
21. Rotala rotundifolia
22. Syngonium podophyllum
23. Vallisneria asiatica

Not on Approved List (effectively banned pending risk assessment)

24. Ammania sengalensis
25. Cryptocoryne crispatula
26. Cryptocoryne lutea
27. Cryptocoryne usteriana
28. Cryptocoryne willissii
29. Echinodorus angustifolia
30. Echinodorus argentinensis
31. Echinodorus Osiris
32. Echinodorus parviflorus
33. Echinodorus quadricostatus
34. Eleocharis parvula
35. Fissidens fontinallis
36. Lysimachia nummularia
37. Myriophyllum pinnatum
38. Myriophyllum tuberculatum
39. Pogostemon helferi
40. Pogostemon stellata
41. Rotala nanjenshan
42. Vallisneria spiralis
43. Vesicularia dubyana (Java Moss)

List compiled by Brandon McLane/Florida Aquatic Nurseries

I wonder if this proposal will spread to other states. I know there is a restricted lists in almost every state but this one looks like it covers more popular species that are not considered invasive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Haha, I just posted this list in the Texas boards. What timing.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

This is a disaster.

It will basically kill the plant hobby in Texas and this "white list" idea will just spread to more states.

What stupid reasoning and bad science behind this thing.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Haha, I just posted this list in the Texas boards. What timing.
Haha great minds think alike! Well maybe not so great since I never even thought of posting this on Texas board

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
This is a disaster.

It has basically killed the plant hobby in Texas and this "white list" idea will just spread to more states.
I just don't get why ban plants that are not considered invasive and the ones that Texas haven't had any problems with...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Crypts especially. They grow so slow how can they be deemed invasive? Any plant is invasive if crypts are.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Wow this is horrible, and doesn't make sense. Must be politics.
Nue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Crypts especially. They grow so slow how can they be deemed invasive? Any plant is invasive if crypts are.
They grow slowly in your tank, not necessarily out in the wild, emersed.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
doubt it.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Publicity is your friend.
Find the aquariums in some ritzy/high end hotels and bars, particularly now that your legislature is back in session. The kind of place politicians and their future new wives visit.
Identify their potentially banned plants and let management know about the pending legislation.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
ukamikazu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
doubt it.
It's the "do something!" attitude. We can go years without an "ecological disaster" but one close call or if an especially vocal group or a privileged individual gets hot and bothered about Hydrilla choking his pond, or enough boaters propellers get fouled by Hygro. polysperma in one lake or stream or a single sink hole makes the news when noxious conditions are created by a mass die off of water lettuce then everyone gets up and arms and expects you to do something.

Never mind that it was one case in thousands or that the empirical data shows that Crypt. beckettii don't compete or harm an endangered species of rice nor is it spreading. You have to do something or else everyone is yelling at you.

Of course, if you are successful at managing these things, hardly anyone notices or says a word or maybe they have a vague notion you exist, but one thing goes wrong, no matter how small it actually is, well you just better hunker down, take it like a man and do something, anything!

The really funny thing about all this, is it is chiefly the commission's own test ponds that all of this escaped from. Or the fact that back in the 60's they didn't stop some redneck from using the San Marcos as his personal grow out tank when they had the chance.

It's all very strange, too. The US Department of Agriculture imported kudzu to make for more forage and stop erosion, and it got out of control. The state of Texas thought water lettuce would appreciably treat wastewater and it got out of control. Maybe we just shouldn't let governments keep plants? They seem like the real danger to me. What state was it that thought releasing a bunch of snake heads would attract more sport fisherman? I think you see my point.

Thanks for letting me blow off steam, guys. I appreciate ya'll.
"You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano
ukamikazu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
ukamikazu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
Syngonium!?!?! Really? That is a tropical epiphyte that I know for a fact will die in our brief, mild Winters. I should know, I've murdered plenty of them by not bringing them in fast enough when the temperature dipped below 55 for longer than 8 hours. It's not even remotely aquatic or even nearly limnophilic! This is a common houseplant!
"You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Those public hearings are starting very soon. The first is the day after tomorrow.

Seriously people we should try to mobilize.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Default URGENT, Your Help Needed: Texas Law Will Effectively Ban Most Aquarium Plants

I need to do some work right now, but I hope to get back to this message later on tonight with more detailed information.

The Texas Parks & Wildlife Division is currently hearing public comments on proposed legislation that will severely limit trade and possession of most common aquarium plants.

While invasive, exotic plants and other organisms are serious environmental problems, the new Texas law is extreme. It effectively bans all aquatic plants not cited in a (very short!) "white list" of approved species. I have read through both the approved species list and the list of banned species and there seem to be a number of dubious inclusions. These call into question the rigor of the science used to make these important decisions.

Please read more to become informed and contact the participating agency representatives and policymakers via telephone, email or paper letter as soon as you can. This notice was published by the International Waterlily and Water Gardening Society and seems to contain relevant and current information. Read it and follow the links!

International Waterlily and Water Gardening Society: New Texas Aquatic Plant Law

It is urgent that planted aquarium enthusiasts who love their hobby become informed about this new legislation right away. Even if you do not live in Texas the law is likely to set legal precedents for other states, and you will no longer be able to trade with or sell most of your plants into Texas. The aquascaping hobby seems to be especially robust in Texas, so such severe restrictions on plant-keeping might compromise the hobby for all of us. And it is a real shame for Texan plant lovers.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
ukamikazu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Things are happening, we're all doing what we can, but any other support, letters, etc will always help. The more the merrier even if you are from out of state. This will affect everyone before you know it!

-Micheal S. Montalbano
Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #15
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Isn't ADG based in Texas? I bet they will put up a fight... Once/if this is passed, I bet other states will do the same...

I wish I could something... My parents have wisely told me that I can not send email, letters, ETC.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.