Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #91
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

the co2 tank lasts me almost 4-5 months.

thanks chiefroastbeef!!

today I noticed that my fish were breathing a little heavily and initially thought there was a co2 spike. but then ran a nitrite test and found that my tank is going through a mini cycle. I think I had my filter unplugged longer that I would've liked when I was installing the reactor. I also changed out some filter floss media that was in it and I'm sure messed up the bacteria. lost a couple emerald eyes. The remainder have been put in the edge tank. bonehead mistake on my part. I was worried at first that maybe the fumes from the silicone in the reactor was messing with the fish, but only after testing the water did I understand my error. I'm just keeping the cherry shrimp in tank right now. All the other fauna I pulled and put in a more stable environment for the time being.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #92
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Your tank looks excellent!

I hear you on the metal pipes, I bought the ada ones but they are too large. I'm thinking about getting some custom made by the same place that makes my tools and see how those are. The initial ones will probably be pricey but worth it.

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #93
theguppyman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

very cool, never used ADA but every one that I know that has used these glass say it didn't last very long. Very nice DIY, would love to make some, its a shame Im not that handy with melting plastic.

http://wildguppies.com/
for enthusiasts of the wild-type guppy
theguppyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #94
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Your Iwagumi is very strong. I love it and all the extra upgrades to make it as clean and asthetically beautiful is very impressive.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #95
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguppyman View Post
very cool, never used ADA but every one that I know that has used these glass say it didn't last very long. Very nice DIY, would love to make some, its a shame Im not that handy with melting plastic.
Wasn't he using the Cal Aqua lily pipes?
Couesfanatic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #96
bl4nket
Algae Grower

Nice tank. How many water changes do you do a week?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #97
genetao
Planted Member

PTrader: (44/100%)

You definitely have some mad DIY skills!

I love your in-line reactor, drop checker and lily pipes!

It's amazing what you can do with acrylic these days!
genetao is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 AM   #98
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

pulled all of the HC and sold the giant carpet (save for a few sprigs that I saved to replant). Moved some rocks around and added a different one. Planted some dwarf hairgrass in the back left corner and a few sprigs in front of the rocks. Looking forward to the hairgrass filling in with the HC and taking over. Current inhabitants are roughly over 80 cherry shrimp and about 11 neons I got for cheap (plus 1 otto). This tank has been quite an epic adventure. The external co2 reactor is flawless and a great addition. I've covered the intake pipe with some filter sponges to prevent the cherries from being pulled into the eheim. A few months back I was backwashing the eheim and about 30 shrimp (babies and adults) were discharged from the filter (still living). Aesthetically speaking, I would pull the sponge but my wife loves the shrimp and wants me to do my best to protect them. This option over the filter intake seems to work the best. Maybe I'll come up with a better modification for the intake, but for now, the sponge will do. Very happy with this tank. My next step is to purchase another pc bulb as I am still running the one from my original purchase. everything is growing wonderfully. I've been dosing not as regularly as I used to. Maybe once or twice a week, but things seem to be settling in very well. tank maintenance is very rewarding (when you stay on top of it). The best tool I've found for removing any algae from the glass has been a plain toothbrush purchased from Duane Reade. Any scraping product I've purchased from any lfs has been undoubtedly disappointing. the toothbrush is the best tool I've used for maintenance. and for the rocks, my sonicare. I've been eyeing some 12" tweezers and maybe a better set of pruning scissors for the HC. I wouldn't mind a trimming tool that can attack the HC without getting my hands wet, or contorting my arm Harry Huidini style to trim in the corners or near the rocks.

To those who have been following this journal, it has been a while since my last post. Thank you for your comments. I hope you dig this tank. Come January, it will be about a year from the purchase of this setup. I really really enjoy this tank. Looking forward to the new scape and plant growth development. Looking forward to posting more progress. Here's the most recent photo (the HC and dwarf hairgrass shown were planted 10 days ago....go HC go):

Old 11-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #99
rikardob
Planted Member

They have metal mesh covers on fleabay for those intake pipes. Beautiful job with this tank!

You're DIY pipes and checker are inspiration for sure!
rikardob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 04:35 AM   #100
shoteh
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Nice DIY acrylic projects. I might have to hit you up for an external drop checker in the future. Also, lovely tank. I would be very happy if I was one of your fish.
Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more night and observe. This time with cucumber which is recommended. ~ CHUNTC
shoteh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #101
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Great tank and great diy skills! being in ny and having soft water, do you do anything to keep kh/gh up? or do you not bother? curious because I'm here in queens(rockaway) and I am thinking for my next project to keep a soft water tank since we already have it on tap. may be easier then having to dose ca/mg and baking soda to keep it up. I've just started in this hobby this year and hope to to make it to your level one day.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #102
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the comments rikardob, shoteh, and frrok.

rikardbob, I'll have to check out fleabay to take a look at the mesh covers for the intake pipes.

I really have a lot of fun tinkering with the DIY part of the hobby. the acrylic pipes I've made and drop checker work like a charm. and the reactor was well worth the time and energy. If I were to make another one, I think I could get away with a smaller cylinder.

frrok, i don't do anything to adjust the gh of the water or the kh. I haven't had any issues with the tap water here in nyc being too soft for my liking and haven't worried about it too much. I think you should be fine with the tap water as is, although I'm not sure what it is like down at the beach where you are. Looks like there were some fun waves this past week at 90th street. not sure if you surf, but I would've loved to have been out there.

thanks again all.

best, el g
Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #103
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
thanks for the comments rikardob, shoteh, and frrok.

rikardbob, I'll have to check out fleabay to take a look at the mesh covers for the intake pipes.

I really have a lot of fun tinkering with the DIY part of the hobby. the acrylic pipes I've made and drop checker work like a charm. and the reactor was well worth the time and energy. If I were to make another one, I think I could get away with a smaller cylinder.

frrok, i don't do anything to adjust the gh of the water or the kh. I haven't had any issues with the tap water here in nyc being too soft for my liking and haven't worried about it too much. I think you should be fine with the tap water as is, although I'm not sure what it is like down at the beach where you are. Looks like there were some fun waves this past week at 90th street. not sure if you surf, but I would've loved to have been out there.

thanks again all.

best, el g
Oh yea! I do and did. I've surfed the last 5 days in row...
Been living out here for almost 6 years. Best move I ever made...

Anyway, thanks for the advice. The water here is def soft, 2 kh/2gh. I bumped it up a bit cuz I have some Val's and ferns that I think like a little more hardness. Also have Endler's that appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320671069.464050.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	37290  

The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #104
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

did my first trim after letting the plants settle in for the first two weeks. also messed a little with the smaller rock. the HC is off to the races and the DHG is filling in but not too fast. had some bba on top of the main rock for the first time since keeping this tank. I think some of the additional decaying plant matter introduced through the dhg had something to do with it (as well as not doing a water change for two weeks). trimmed it back a little. brushed the rocks and the glass. and presto. looking good again. I keep the sponge over the intake for the filter for the sake of the shrimp. looking forward to the next couple of months. going to try to keep at it (trimming and removing dead material). I've got two tops on this tank. a glass piece that I had cut and an acrylic one that I used to use. the acrylic bows a bit, but at least with the extra covering, I'm not losing any fish from late night jumpings. As always, best to those who are following this thread.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #105
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking very nice, I wish I would have read this before pulling up my hc. The diatoms got to me and I ripped it out, when it was pearling
zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.