Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #61
Zareth
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I wanna see the fish!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #62
IntrepidAquarist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Absolutely beautiful. Great job Fat Guy.
IntrepidAquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #63
dj2005
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Very pretty.
dj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #64
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

As requested, here's a shot with the fish visible. I do like them, mainly cause they are very peaceful and school all the time. I really enjoy the emerald eye that really sparkles. There is one that is suspect that has a little fin rot from the lfs. I'm considering sticking him in a hospital tank with some melafix. I'm a little reserved about adding any melefix to the water column in this tank. Although I have used it on other planted tanks in the past. I've just put too much time and effort in this tank to mess things up by adding outside medications (even if natural). I wish my diffuser (the emergency one I bought) was much smaller. I pulled it before I took the picture. I saw online that someone in brooklyn, ny is selling nano diffusers on ebay for $5.99. The one I purchased cost $19.95. In the photo you can see how red my female cherry shrimp is. You can spot her in the bottom left of the picture. Next to my otocinclus. There are many little shrimp babies hidden in the HC. I spotted a couple today. I imagine they will become food for the filter and rasboras once they start free swimming. I don't want to stick a sponge or guard over the intake because it would just look too ugly...although, I've got to admit, my intake pipe is lookin very gnarly. My fluval edge is currently my shrimp tank. I have over a 100 cherry shrimp breeding in that tank which is just moss and sticks. I dig the amano shrimp, but man is it ugly. I should get around to cleaning my lily pipes, but don't want to struggle removing the lily's from the tubing. I don't mind the gunk. It would look great without the biofilm on the pipes, but it doesn't bother me to much. Thanks for looking. Best, el g

Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #65
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Great tank FG. I have a 90p that is a little over two months old, and I'm fighting with the brown diatom on my HC just like you were. Seems you completely eradicated it from this last pic. What was the secret in the end? Trimming? Ferts? Patience? Every day I'm praying for the green lushness I see your pic, and the green that my glosso has no problem showing.

Also, I almost pulled the trigger on some chili rasoboras many times, but ended up going with some green rasboras and galaxy rasboras instead in the end. Beautiful fish you have. I have 9 ottos and 3 zebra ottos as well.

For anyone considering, I highly recommend the zebra ottos. Magnificent creatures. They are slightly larger then the normal otto, and they don't work as hard either, but they are terrific to watch.

Love your little nano! I have a mini-M that I just planted two weeks ago. Hoping it comes out almost as nice as yours.
youjettisonme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #66
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjettisonme View Post
Great tank FG. I have a 90p that is a little over two months old, and I'm fighting with the brown diatom on my HC just like you were. Seems you completely eradicated it from this last pic. What was the secret in the end? Trimming? Ferts? Patience? Every day I'm praying for the green lushness I see your pic, and the green that my glosso has no problem showing.

Also, I almost pulled the trigger on some chili rasoboras many times, but ended up going with some green rasboras and galaxy rasboras instead in the end. Beautiful fish you have. I have 9 ottos and 3 zebra ottos as well.

For anyone considering, I highly recommend the zebra ottos. Magnificent creatures. They are slightly larger then the normal otto, and they don't work as hard either, but they are terrific to watch.

Love your little nano! I have a mini-M that I just planted two weeks ago. Hoping it comes out almost as nice as yours.
Hey youjettisonme,

Thanks for the nice comments!! For me, I got rid of the diatoms through patience. I removed what I could from the glass, but the rest was simply just staying the course and knowing that it would eventually go away. Everything else has been has been careful monitoring, trimming, fertilizing, adequate co2, and more and more patience.

I love the rasboras, unfortunately, I've already had two jump. I have a glass top on my tank, but two have some how been able to find the little space between the glass top and the side of the tank and have jettisoned themselves out. Maybe I should get a very precise piece of glass cut (one that will wrap around the lily pipes to curtail any inkling to flee. I came home from work last night and saw my cat staring at what I thought was a bug on the ground. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was the rasbora. I quickly scooped it up and through it back in the tank. It was swimming a lttle cockeyed, and this morning when I woke up, I found him upside down and floating. Sucks because these fish were not easy to find.

Here are a few random shots. I always find it interesting when I see how people do their tank maintenance. I love the solar mini m light and how maneuverable it is.

Best, el g

view from the couch
Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #67
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Hey Fat guy,

If you ever get a chance to shoot a quick video of this layout, I'd love to put it in the ADG Vibe: Spotlight!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #68
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Microrasboras are very prone to jumping, as I've recently learned. I put in a school of 16 Boraras merah into my Mini-L and had five suicides overnight. I had to get the matching ADA top for it and the jumping hasn't been a problem since.

I loved the open top look of these tanks, but not many fishes can be successfully kept in them.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #69
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Hey Fat guy,

If you ever get a chance to shoot a quick video of this layout, I'd love to put it in the ADG Vibe: Spotlight!
Hey Frank,

Sounds really cool. I'll try to get a video of it soon. Before I do, I should probably clean the lily pipes and spruce it up a little. I wish I had more rasboras to showcase. Let me see if I can get around to it today. I've really enjoyed this tank. All the best, w
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #70
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Tank looks awesome, as I would expect from your Edge. Good choice wither the Emerald Eye Rasboras. I bought some a while back, not ever seeing them before and I feel in love with them. Great fish with a peaceful personality.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #71
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Tank looks awesome, as I would expect from your Edge. Good choice wither the Emerald Eye Rasboras. I bought some a while back, not ever seeing them before and I feel in love with them. Great fish with a peaceful personality.
thanks! I dig them too. If only I can keep them from trying to fly. They are by far the best nano schoolers I've ever kept. I think I will try to find/order more. But before I do, I may have to invest in a better custom top.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #72
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Mine don't jump at all. Well, one did the first day I haven't lost one after. I didn't even know they were prone to jumping.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #73
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Cleaned the lily pipes yesterday. Made a simple bleach solution with 1 parts bleach to 4 parts water and used some ornament wire that I twisted together to scrape the tubes with. Also used a little piece of paper towel to push through the pipes. All in all, not as painstaking as I thought it would be. But definitely a delicate task. Fortunately nothing broke and the pipes look super clean. Also backwashed the filter and swapped out some filter floss. I noticed that the eheim runs super quiet when clean (of course) and makes a little more noise when dirty. I'm still working on putting a video together of the tank. I'm trying to figure out the best lighting to shoot a quick video with my flipvideo. Below is the tank with the clean pipes. I also threw in a picture of one of my female cherry shrimps for good measure. She's is super red in this tank and has already produced some offspring that are hiding in the HC. I've been removing with a toothbrush a little bit of filamentous hair algae. Hasn't been a problem, I've just noticed that it appears in certain spots. But I've stayed the course and haven't had any significant outbreaks. I'm looking to get a shorter pair of curved scissors to cut the HC on the right side of the rock. Really hard to trim in that area with the 10" curved scissors I have. Best, el g

Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #74
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Picked up some great rasbora dorsiocellatas from Frank in Coney Island. Really wonderful schooling fish and compliment the scape very nicely I think. Plants are growing great. Occasional green spot algae and hair algae but nothing too crazy. I've been keeping the Lily Pipe outflow raised to agitate the surface more. Some serious scum tends to build up when it's submerged well below the water line. Best, el g

Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #75
roybot73
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)

This looks amazing, man. Perfect fish choice too. Have you trimmed the HC much or at all?
Very well done!!

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m