Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 17
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #241
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Yeah I got a 10 mm myself. Mice to have some ADA pipes!

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #242
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

A tip for the lily pipes. If you use some petroleum jelly where the pipe meets, they are like 100,000,000x easier to get off. Just make sure that they are on because if you use a lot, they can pop off easily at first, after a few days they seem to seat better.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #243
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
A tip for the lily pipes. If you use some petroleum jelly where the pipe meets, they are like 100,000,000x easier to get off. Just make sure that they are on because if you use a lot, they can pop off easily at first, after a few days they seem to seat better.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give that a try next time. I find if I'm careful I have a lot more success.

Just got the eleocharis belem today. Great portion. It had been grown emersed. But the 2"x2" portion I got in the mail was just awesome. Separated it and planted it between the rocks and in the midground and towards the ADA corner of the aquarium. Looking forward to watching it grow. the foreground is the hydropiper. the co2 is cranked. my substrate is a little hard in the front. I pushed the tweezers in it to "aerate" it a bit. Hopefully it doesn't pose a problem with the plants' root structure. It's not too hard packed, it's just noticeably firmer when planting in that area. I'm liking the eleocharis acicularis in the background. I like the depth it creates.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:03 AM   #244
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

clearer pic- day 2 belem
Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #245
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

hey man, quick question. Are you using Aquasoil Powder only? or Aquasoil with powder as cap? just curious.... and did you re-use your aquasoil when you re-scaped...thx!

I just added some belem to my scape as well. im mixing it with HC as an experiment.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #246
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
hey man, quick question. Are you using Aquasoil Powder only? or Aquasoil with powder as cap? just curious.... and did you re-use your aquasoil when you re-scaped...thx!

I just added some belem to my scape as well. im mixing it with HC as an experiment.

Hey Frrok. How goes it? How are things at the Rock?

I've reused my aquasoil for the most part. The white specs that look like gravel in the photo are power sand that I used to have solely as a base layer of the substrate. But when I rescaped the tank a while back, I accidentally mixed a lot of the power sand with the soil and some of it you can see now is part of the surface. I have the powder soil but haven't used it in years. It was cool in the beginning when you first setup the scape, but over time and shrimp abuse, it lost its effect. The soil is pretty dense in the front now. I shoved some tweezers into it to try to "aerate" it to see if that would help at all. So far so good.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #247
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
Hey Frrok. How goes it? How are things at the Rock?

I've reused my aquasoil for the most part. The white specs that look like gravel in the photo are power sand that I used to have solely as a base layer of the substrate. But when I rescaped the tank a while back, I accidentally mixed a lot of the power sand with the soil and some of it you can see now is part of the surface. I have the powder soil but haven't used it in years. It was cool in the beginning when you first setup the scape, but over time and shrimp abuse, it lost its effect. The soil is pretty dense in the front now. I shoved some tweezers into it to try to "aerate" it to see if that would help at all. So far so good.
Rock is good! it was a fun summer, different but fun. wish there were more waves :/

Well, I ask because... My aquasoil looks like yours but I used power sand base and powder type only. I didn't use the regular aquasoil. I am wondering it using the aquasoil powder only gave me issues with growing my HC. not sure if the roots are not being aerated enough. for some reason, I cant grow HC, High light(LED), EI , 30ppm co2, I got it all....
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 10-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #248
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Rock is good! it was a fun summer, different but fun. wish there were more waves :/

Well, I ask because... My aquasoil looks like yours but I used power sand base and powder type only. I didn't use the regular aquasoil. I am wondering it using the aquasoil powder only gave me issues with growing my HC. not sure if the roots are not being aerated enough. for some reason, I cant grow HC, High light(LED), EI , 30ppm co2, I got it all....
I'm not sure if the aquasoil would be the main culprit hindering your HC. What happens to you hc when you plant it? does it yellow or just melt away? did you buy it emersed? what do you have for livestock in the tank? If you don't have fauna in there, maybe you can up the co2 and do water changes every day for a week and see if that stimulates some growth. HC for me is something I've never had an issue growing. My biggest problem was that if I was not on top of trimming it, it would get overgrown and lift up from the substrate. what's the light you have on it? same as before?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #249
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

everything is growing. the eleocharis belem has rebounded after being submerged and is sprouting new roots after some die off. and now it's blades are more acid green and curved. The hydropiper is growing as well. the plant is very delicate. a couple of the stems that have grown have broken where there is a strong current in the tank. I just replant them and they seem to flourish. we shall see. maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I think it is just from the current in the front right part of the tank that can weaken the branches of hydropiper. doing daily 35% water changes and ferts of macros and micros daily along with a little sodium bicarbonate to keep the kh in check with the increased co2 presence. also some seachem equilibrium, a sprinkle, on occasion every week or so.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #250
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

lookin great, that foreground is gunna look nice when it fills in.

Got any closer up shots?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #251
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
lookin great, that foreground is gunna look nice when it fills in.

Got any closer up shots?
thanks!
I'll snap a few once it fills in a little more.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #252
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looks great. For awhile, I thought the DHG in back was "played out". Then I did it myself and realized how great it looks. Your scape is more "dynamic" than the last, IMO, but having a background enhances it even more. I like where this is going.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #253
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

cleaned some filter media, bleached the pipes and scattered some aquasoil powder to smooth out the substrate. not much to report other than the belem has transitioned to being submerged and is starting to grow. the hydropiper on the right side of the tank (our right) started to brown around the stem and break off from the substrate. strange. the hydropiper on the left continues to sprout new growth and has a healthy looking stem. not sure what is happening to it on the right side. I think that it is a very sensitive plant. I switched out the 18w pc and put the 27w back in. now that I've got the co2 cranked and am dosing more consistently, I am hoping for better growth (especially near the outside edges of the tank). I think the 18w pc had a weak PAR levels on the corners of the tank. the 27w bulb is a couple inches longer than the 18w so I'm going to keep my eye on its efficiency. a year ago I had a staghorn problem so I had lowered the wattage over the tank considering that I wasn't able to raise the light unit because it's a fixed part of the solar mini m stand. I've since tackled that algae and have grown wiser (I hope). Below is a closer picture. It's still hard to see the hydropiper on the left, but it is there. There are about 7 bunches all with runners. There is still a little GDA issue on the sides of the tank near the substrate. hopefully by adding the ada powder over the older substrate, it will cap regular aquasoil and have some sort of positive effect on the tank. It also smooths out the layout and makes it look cleaner. best, w
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #254
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Love the closeup shot, you can really see whats going on. My E. acicularis does not grow that tall. Must be my lighting def grows more compact and shorter but not as short as the belem. do u get any problems with cyano bacteria at all?
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #255
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I think that E. Hydropiper just takes a while to get settled in and transition to your tank. But once t does it will take off rather quick
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m