Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #226
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I have a lot of E hydropiper, but, as soon as I add it to the tanks, fish tend to pull it out or the shrimp. I grow it attached to some moss at the surface, even at 84F, it grows great.

Fine ADA powder and few fish/shrimp messing with it, lots of light, it should do well.
cool beans. I have my hopes up for this plant. I have about 18w over it with the co2 cranked and am dosing potassium sulphate for now with water changes roughly every other day. I just setup the tank after having it out of commission for some time. The only tank inhabitants are a few pond snails so the plant has remained undisturbed and is now starting to show new growth. I was reading over some info on your site regarding liebig's law and feel enlightened with a new understanding and a way to look at ferts, light and co2 etc. I keep imagining the "barrel" example as I approach this new setup.

we just had a baby so the old scape was neglected. I was getting sick of the main rock after all these years with as the focus. I'm excited by this new setup and hope the e. hydropiper fills in well. the glosso I used to keep in the past was inconsistent and I struggled with it as an aquarist. some of my glosso shot out runners while the other half grew straight up. keeping my fingers crossed for the hydropiper.

thanks all for your comments.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #227
ThatGuyWithTheFish
Suspended

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
cool beans. I have my hopes up for this plant. I have about 18w over it with the co2 cranked and am dosing potassium sulphate for now with water changes roughly every other day. I just setup the tank after having it out of commission for some time. The only tank inhabitants are a few pond snails so the plant has remained undisturbed and is now starting to show new growth. I was reading over some info on your site regarding liebig's law and feel enlightened with a new understanding and a way to look at ferts, light and co2 etc. I keep imagining the "barrel" example as I approach this new setup.

we just had a baby so the old scape was neglected. I was getting sick of the main rock after all these years with as the focus. I'm excited by this new setup and hope the e. hydropiper fills in well. the glosso I used to keep in the past was inconsistent and I struggled with it as an aquarist. some of my glosso shot out runners while the other half grew straight up. keeping my fingers crossed for the hydropiper.

thanks all for your comments.
18W? Isn't the mini Solar 27W?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #228
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
18W? Isn't the mini Solar 27W?
Yup. The Solar mini is setup with a 27W out of the box. I reduced the wattage by using 18watt bulbs instead of 27W. My 18w pc is a 6700K and 10000k bulb. I made the switch way back in December of last year and have been pleased with the results and light color. I find the tank to be more manageable with a little more wiggle room for error.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #229
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

New hardscape looks great, can't wait to see how it looks all grown in.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #230
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
New hardscape looks great, can't wait to see how it looks all grown in.
thanks! I'm looking forward to it growing in too. the hydropipers are starting to sprout new roots and leaflets...partial water changes every day/other day until then
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #231
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

just purchased a new outflow pipe via adgshop in texas. looking forward to it. the lily I made developed a hairline crack in the top and has started to leak from the crack. looking forward to the ada glassware that I purchased. the mini p2 outflow. Now looking on their website it looks like I got the last one.

I've started to notice tiny tiny little leaflets popping up in my aquasoil. not sure what they are. I snapped a picture. the sprouts are so tiny it looks as if they are from tiny seeds that I planted (which I didn't). any idea what they are? same leaf shape as the hydropiper, but the sprouts are growing where I did not plant.

hard to tell from this photo but you can see the little green dots. One, down and to the left (our left) of the plant in the center. and then another towards the left side of the photo. I don't have any photo editing software.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #232
ThatGuyWithTheFish
Suspended

Nah looks like just hydropiper.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

RAOK Club #69
Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #233
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Nah looks like just hydropiper.
i'll have to try to snap a better photo. the closeup is hydropiper, but there are these little green sprouts growing where I did not plant the hydropiper. you have to look hard in the first photo. I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #234
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

They look like runners of hydropiper.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #235
ThatGuyWithTheFish
Suspended

Quote:
+1 to this

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

RAOK Club #69
Old 09-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #236
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
alright cool. hope that they are.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #237
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

just picked up an ada 13mm lily pipe from adg shop that they had on sale. very excited and am going to try very very hard not to break it. the acrylic lily pipe I had made cracked so I repaired it with some suncure for my surfboard. actually, a lot of the lily's I made developed hairline cracks on top over time which caused a small leak. I have them all as backups in case I shatter this new one.

old pipe with the suncure

whoa fancy packaging

I love the deal

full scape. elatine hydropiper is doing well...really well. eleocharis acicularis going nuts in the background. eleocharis belem on the way from california. thanks iOS7 operating system for your instagram photo good looks. I'll post an update once I plant the belem. just picked up a 2"x2" patch from a member on barrreport.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #238
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice stone placement, it's leads my eyes in a loop from left - centre - right. Did you read ADA's articles on layouts? They have about 5 pages on where to place stones (I'm not kidding) and I couldn't stand the restrictions.

Anyways, the tank will look great once the carpet fills in.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #239
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Very nice stone placement, it's leads my eyes in a loop from left - centre - right. Did you read ADA's articles on layouts? They have about 5 pages on where to place stones (I'm not kidding) and I couldn't stand the restrictions.

Anyways, the tank will look great once the carpet fills in.
Hey thanks!! I'm not sure if I've read those articles though, but I'll have to take a look at them. I've read a couple in the Aquatic Gardener publications. Looking forward to the hydropiper filling in as well as the e. belem once I get it. the e. acicularis may be quite the task to keep in the background. I'm wondering how it will look when the e. belem I am getting blends in with it. the plan is to plant the e. bellem in the midground between the rocks. thanks again flyinghellfish. more pics to come.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #240
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

looks great...love the new filters in the photo app in iOS7. I never thought of using sun cure to fix pipes! I wonder if it would work on glass? did u get out there the last few days? ....waves were fun
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m