55G Firehouse Shenanagins!!! New pics 5/3/14!!!!!!!!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
Andrew H
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

55G Firehouse Shenanagins!!! New pics 5/3/14!!!!!!!!!!

Recent FTS...

Big shout out to the following for contributing one way or another..
HighDesert - Plants!
h4n - Plants!
Steve106 - Plants!
Marineland - 48" aquatic lighting system w/timer! HUUUGE hook-up!
Caribbsea - 80lbs of eco-complete! HUUUUGE hook-up!
Arizona Nature Aquatics - Tons of advice and misc hook-ups!

A buddy/coworker of mine and I decided to take over a much neglected 55 gallon tank that was left in the bays of our station. This is pretty much what it looked like the day we took it over from the lazy dudes on C-Shift. Pay no attention to my awesome algae "paint" job...

I brought in an old piece of wood that is about 23" long that I had lying around my backyard for the past few years. We let it sit in one of the sinks to waterlog it and leech as many tannins as possible.

Once it was waterlogged we stuck it in the tank. There were still two HUGE feeder goldfish that "C" shift had kept alive for 6+ years, and one zebra danio someone dumped into the tank awhile ago. Not wanting to kill the goldfish we decided to have someone transfer them to a koi pond that another station had made and stocked.

While we were cleaning out the tank we found all sorts of random things. The crazy thing was that we found about a dollars worth of pennies in the tank that were all corroded and what not. Crazy that the fish were still alive.

Anywho, we got hooked up by a member on here with some NLJF so we tied it to the backside of the wood. When we get more java ferns we are planning on filling in the middle, and then the front so that it is completely covered in ferns. The wood is still leaking tannins so we bought some seachem purigen and put it into the filter; we'll see how much it helps absorbing the colors.

The stand that the tank sits on is old, rotting, warped, and just a huge POS. Will found a good deal on a stand on craigslist for $40 so we picked it up.

Since taking it over we put in a bristlenose pleco to help with algae control and recently added two more zebra danios to keep the one dude company. We also added an Aquaclear 70 to replace the stock filter that came with the tank. We are still running the old filter to help with filtration and beneficial bacteria build-up. We want to replace that substrate with Caribsea Eco-Complete Plant Substrate. Once this is done, we'll be able to put in a lot more plants.

We are keeping the lame decorations in the tank just so the pleco has more things to eat algae off of. Once the substrate and plants are in we are moving the tank inside the station in the dayroom. We want to put in a school of neon or cardinal tetras but aren't committed to it yet; still deciding and doing research. We need fish that are somewhat hardy consider we only work 11 days a month and won't be able to keep an eye on the people dropping random things into the tank.

Will update this thread when the tank progresses.

Last edited by Andrew H; 05-04-2014 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: Information
Andrew H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Andrew H
Planted Member

reserved
Old 09-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)

Those pennies would have been releasing copper into the water the whole time they were in there, so I would make sure to run carbon constantly to continue pulling it out. I don't think Purigen removes copper, but it helps to remove some organics that carbon alone won't pick up, but it does remove tannins really well.

Looks good!
My shrimp dance about and zoom all over the tank. Then their skins fall off!
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Great piece of driftwood!

Good luck you're off to a good start!
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
Andrew H
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
Those pennies would have been releasing copper into the water the whole time they were in there, so I would make sure to run carbon constantly to continue pulling it out. I don't think Purigen removes copper, but it helps to remove some organics that carbon alone won't pick up, but it does remove tannins really well.

Looks good!
Yeah I know about the copper. The pennies were gnarly looking; I should have taken a couple pics of em. We have been doing about 30% water changes every couple days to help with the tannins and we also have that carbon packet in the filter. We were just amazed at how hardy feeder fish were with all the crap people had been dumping in it.

We just got the purigen to help with the water color. The station has a crazy water softener system but we'll for sure test the water parameters before we stock it with our choice of schooling fish and move it inside. The temps will be a lot more stable inside but we got some viaaqua heater to put in down the road to help with keeping temps stable.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The only thing I know that can kill comets is bleach lol. My friend found a pool in his backyard (yes, literally had no idea his house had an in-ground pool), threw a dozen 2" comets in there, and a month later the biggest one measured 7".
Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Silky
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Andrew, are you with Tucson Fire Dept? I did my emt-p clinicals with TFD a few years back. Which station are you at? Trying to remember the ones I was assigned when I was a student.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
Andrew H
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky View Post
Andrew, are you with Tucson Fire Dept? I did my emt-p clinicals with TFD a few years back. Which station are you at? Trying to remember the ones I was assigned when I was a student.
Nah I work for Rural/Metro Fire in southern Oro Valley.

Last edited by Andrew H; 09-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Party.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Andrew H
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecGrrl View Post
Great piece of driftwood!

Good luck you're off to a good start!
Yeah thanks I was planning on using it in my 17 gallon Mr. Aqua but I don't know what direction I want to go with that tank yet; kind of want to wait till I get I into my own house.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Looks really great! Can't wait to see it grown out! I'll toss in a piece of cholla for your pleco guy.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
nerdariostomp
Planted Member

That's a great start! I wish my work was cool enough to let me keep a big tank in our area. I have 2 setup in my own area but it'd be nice to keep one in a common area like that. What're your plans for stocking?
nerdariostomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Andrew H
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Looks really great! Can't wait to see it grown out! I'll toss in a piece of cholla for your pleco guy.
Yeah me too. Biggest thing we're waiting on is the substrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdariostomp View Post
That's a great start! I wish my work was cool enough to let me keep a big tank in our area. I have 2 setup in my own area but it'd be nice to keep one in a common area like that. What're your plans for stocking?

Yeah my job is badass, lots of neat perks of the station being a home away from home.

Thinking a school of tetras or something. Lots of small fish.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Andrew H
Planted Member

Found some more pennies.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh god. Lol

I would consider draining it completely and doing a wicked cleaning/rinsing once you get the new substrate, change the carbon, and make sure you have a bottle of Seachem Prime or Aquavitro Alpha (a much more powerful version of Prime) handy in case it sparks a mini-cycle.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
Found some more pennies.

Oh those guys in the fire house such kidder. Its amazeing your fools are so simalar to my fools in the FDNY.

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote