crypt ideii
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

crypt ideii

I finally found this crypt and I plan to grow it out submerged. It will be in a high tech, high light, Co2, and PPS-Pro dosed tank with good flow and RO/tap 50/50 water. It will be planted in my soil mix which is a layer of secret clay wormstrate, and peat capped with Eco. My other crypts are doing GREAT in this mix. Im wondering what makes this variety happy, blackwater leaf litter or clay/MTS? Any experieces or parameters you could share would be helpful. I know lego and other prefer emmersed but its not really an option with my space involved. All that I can provide is more blackwater or more clay. Thanks guys, the crypt collector bug bites AGAIN!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
Cardinal Tetra
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)

This thing grows crazy slow and is super short in my tank. It's getting consumed by my UG foreground. I have it in plain tap water (pH ~7, KH 4, GH 8) and the substrate is florabase. Oh yeah I have DIY CO2 and dose whenever I feel like it; I have no set schedule. I have moderate lighting. IDK why this crypt grows so much slower than my other ones.

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
Cardinal Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

@cardinaltetra, Im not talking to you You bought all the mini bolbitis before I got any. JK, thanks for the info. Hopefully mine does better with high light and some good organics in the substrate.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
Cardinal Tetra
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)

Hahaha I didn't buy anything. It was a fare trade! lol. Don't worry I'll send some your way or you can buy it on aquabid. pm me
I can grow stupid erios and syngos fast enough but that Crypt is stubborn grrrrr. Nurii is prettier in my opinion.

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
Cardinal Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Hey, I stumbled across this crypt blog:

http://kryptokoryne.aquaticscape.com/

I thought it was kinda neat, especially since I've been toying with the idea of setting up a 55g crypt tank.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
legomaniac89
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
I know lego and other prefer emmersed but its not really an option with my space involved. All that I can provide is more blackwater or more clay.
. My emersed specimen grows extremely well in a peat/soil/vermiculite blend. In your situation though, I'd go with more clay. Lots of Fe, lots of micros. Just make sure that your pH and hardness are both low and it should take off for you eventually.
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
legomaniac89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

@kevmo911- actually a few of my crypts are from GG, the author of that site

Thanks for the heads up lego!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
snausage
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Mine grew fast under 4 wpg/co2/ferts/ada amazonia II. Don't know what the ph was, but I'm guessing it was < 6, kH 0-1, gH 3-4. If you want to get it really red, dose a lot of iron, restrict nitrates and use a longer photoperiod (approx 12 hours).
snausage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Do you guys use soil test kits to test the pH of your soil? I'm talking about for emersed cultures. Either way, what pH do you generally aim for in your soil mixtures for the average Crypt, and then what about for the black water crypts? What changes do you make? I guess most people would just add more peat of some form, or leaf litter if they have access to some, or both.

Generally speaking, when making a soil mix for your Crypts, I would suggest you try adding some greensand, aka glauconite if you can get any. Not only for the Fe and trace minerals it contains, but also for the particle size, since I find that Crypts tend to like having some sand, or sandy loam of some sort in their soil, probably because it helps provide support for young roots. Adding a little bit of MTS or EHS will go a long way as well, and if you are growing Crypts submerged, or any heavy root feeder for that matter, you should hit up Hydrophyte and see if he has any of those soil tabs he was making, and try those out, cause the plants will really like having that organic matter, and I think they had a good amount of humic and fluvic acids as well which are great.

As for ferts, you can always add some Osmocote Plus. I forget who, but someone was making clay pellets that were basically like little Iron tabs and they were really small so they were easy to work with, but I don't really grow my Crypts submerged, I have only three different Crypts growing submerged right now, and I don't really like Echinodorus, though I have one that I'm thinking about switching to emersed growth, and I also don't like keeping super densely planted high-tech tanks, cause I can't afford it and I don't have the time or patience to do all that maintenance in my free time. I have nothing against them, I think they're great, and beautiful, and I appreciate them for what they are, and I have a lot of respect for anyone with a well-scaped high-tech tank, but I just personally don't have the patience for it. Therefore, I've only used root tabs submerged like once or twice. But now that I'm thinking about it, it's definitely time to add some new root tabs after I change my water and thin out my tanks. Ughhhh, I gotta stop procrastinating and get on that, I've got a lot of work to do today
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.