My first 2.5g nano! Need HELP!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
jus43

PTrader: (0/0%)

My first 2.5g nano! Need HELP!

OK. So this forum has inspired me to take a dive into the world of nanos!

What I have:
Used 2.5 gallon aquarium (passed leak test)
Used glass lid
Onyx Sand Aquarium Substrate,
15.4 lbs by Seachem
Rocks
some Flourish Excel
Light fixture with a Coralife 50/50 mini compact fluorescent 10w

some dwarf hair grass and glossostigma

Your thoughts on my setup? Anything you think I should change? Fert ideas? Planting tips? Anything?
jus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
sp33drhno
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (45/100%)

you'll need to get a different bulb. the atinic won't do much for plants.
sp33drhno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Damian
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

+1 on the bulb. You could always go with the hampton bay desk lamp that I along with some others on here use. Its 27watts and works well with the nanos. What kind of hardscape are you going for? Iwagumi?
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
jus43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
+1 on the bulb. You could always go with the hampton bay desk lamp that I along with some others on here use. Its 27watts and works well with the nanos. What kind of hardscape are you going for? Iwagumi?
Yep! I work in an aquarium store and us employees get Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine for free. Each time I flip right to the Takashi Amano articles and drool lol. His Iwagumi layouts are stunning.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
jus43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp33drhno View Post
you'll need to get a different bulb. the atinic won't do much for plants.--
What other bulbs would you suggest or should I just return the hood/light and just get a desk lamp?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
jus43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
So where could I purchase one of these desk lamps? Now that I scan the forums, there are a lot of members who use desk lamps instead.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
Damian
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Home depot is where I purchased mine at. I've also bought one from walmart. They average around $30.
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
sp33drhno
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (45/100%)

Coralife makes a 6700k version of that bulb I believe. Those would be better for plant growth. Or you could get the Hampton Bay desk lamp that was suggested. I use them on my 5.5 gallon tanks. They come with a bulb that's perfect for growing plants, and it's easy to adjust the height. I got them at HD for $25.
sp33drhno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Pikachu
Algae Grower

Instead of buying a whole new fixture, just get a new bulb. Don't forget to post pictures when you get things going. Also, don't forget a filter Hagen Elite Mini works perfect for a 2.5gal.
Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
DebbyS
Algae Grower

If the fixture has a common screw-in holder for the bulb, WalMart sells a "Mini Aquarium Bulb, 10 Watt Fluorescent Bulb" made by Lights of America. I find them in the pet section around the aquarium supplies. Over my 2.5 I have this bulb, in an Aqueon Strip Light, 12" long. Actually, the first strip lightI bought was at PetSmart, and I suspect Aqueon bought the manufacturer of those lights, but the Aqueon one I got as a spare is quite similar and I expect it to act the very same way if I start a new 2.5. In my current 2.5 I have java fern, anubias, banana plant (too big... will have to do something with it in the spring), and odds and ends of other plants, even some hair grass. I went through a brown diatom phase on the glass. I wiped some of it away, added a little more liquid fertilizer (Kent's, usually), and basically ignored it. Next time I looked, the glass was all clear. I do give some credit to the red ram snails. Hmm, better go feed them a bit of fish food as a reward since there isn't any algae that I can see... Oh, in the 2.5 I also have a small table-top fountain type pump with the opening covered by filter floss, to keep the water moving, and a small heater since outside currently (Jan 2, 2011, at 10:40, it's 18 degrees F and inside it's 66F).
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallon, florish, helping, nano