ADG Install at Picasso Exotics! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #31
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannave View Post
I normally only browse here but the level of rudeness in the replies to this video leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. While every ones taste and style is different to be so pointlessly mean about something that another person in the hobby clearly is proud of given the time they took to create these aquariums and then to edit and produce a video is surprising. At it best this is a forum for people to help each and further the hobby they enjoy. To belittle something in front of not only the person who created it but also to someone who is a sponser who pays to allow this great message board to thrive and whoose lively hood is based on their reputation is very strange to me. I would also point out that asking for help and more information is the kind of thing that will make that store sucessful in the long run because they are investing in there long term knowledge and ability to help their customers. Realizing that you still have something to learn is an great trait for a business to have. I wish them luck with thier new store.
Evan
+1. Why put down a shop that is building up our hobby? Fake or not, they look great and ADG did an amazing job.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #32
fitness2go
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Remember, these are tanks with tons of ambient light (maybe even direct sunlight) on display for 9, maybe 10 hours or more, which if using live plants and coral would be nearly impossible to keep pristine algae free without hours of maintenance per week. The point is to cater to the masses with a very eye pleasing tank that is ultra clean and very easy to maintain in minutes per week. Almost every single LFS I have been to doesn't sell many plants and if they do, certainly not in any condition that I would buy them. In fact, I bought all of my plants here on TPT. Places like ADG, Aqua Forest and a handful of others fill a tiny niche that relies on mail-order/online business to supplement walk in retail. They specialize in planted tanks and see it as an art form, which isn't necessarily shared by the buying public. I haven't spoken to ADG, but I get the sense that in this economy a lot of potential clients would love to have a beautiful "live" planted centerpiece aquarium, but simply can't afford the amount of consistent maintenance that is required to keep it in top shape. They certainly aren't going to do it themselves. Of course, we would because we are a tiny group of planted tank nuts that thrive on this stuff. With that in mind, do a search on algae. Even on this website a lot of people struggle with it. Could you imagine having a business with a beautiful scaped/planted tank displayed in your lobby that just took a ultra fast left hand turn into algae'ville? That tank would come down fast. The bottom line is that these displays are huge high end tanks that are eye catching, easy to maintain and serve a purpose within a budget to attract the masses into their store with the purpose to sell to the average consumer. Just curious, is the store even going to sell live planted tanks or live coral?
fitness2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #33
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
I normally only browse here but the level of rudeness in the replies to this video leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. While every ones taste and style is different to be so pointlessly mean about something that another person in the hobby clearly is proud of given the time they took to create these aquariums and then to edit and produce a video is surprising. At it best this is a forum for people to help each and further the hobby they enjoy. To belittle something in front of not only the person who created it but also to someone who is a sponser who pays to allow this great message board to thrive and whoose lively hood is based on their reputation is very strange to me. I would also point out that asking for help and more information is the kind of thing that will make that store sucessful in the long run because they are investing in there long term knowledge and ability to help their customers. Realizing that you still have something to learn is an great trait for a business to have. I wish them luck with thier new store.
Evan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY911 View Post
+1 evannave. Can't believe your first post in 4 years as a member had to be this one. Well said either way.
I agree with you guys 100%.

Just a quick question for you guys who think the plastic plants stink. DO any of your tanks look that good? Don't mean to be rude. Just sayin'!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #34
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

While I do think some people went overboard in their criticism... we do have to remember that this is a site about live aquarium plants so you have to expect some objection to the fake stuff.

I'll be honest though. I thought the scapes were awesome. They looked very realistic to me, except I didn't care for the saltwater one that much, but it's just my opinion.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #35
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

I really liked the freshwater scape, well everything but the air bubbles. The salt water though, not that great. I think maybe having some live rock, or dead rock even, then putting the fake corals on would look better.

Aqua Forest has a 180p aquarium in their window front, gets sun light as well, and they don't have issues with algae, although they are very small and have dedicated staff to maintaining the aquascapes.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #36
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

although i agree, i prefer live plants. you have to give ada and that particular lfs some credit.

when it comes to fake plants, those are THE NICEST FAKE PLANTS IVE EVER SEEN!! the fake coral, maybe a bit tacky. but its better to be tacky and clean than algae and dead
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #37
mrchach
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I tell you what... they may be fake plants. But I agree, theyre looking for beautiful and low maintanence. That is what they got.

As for comments to the integrity of the store because they hired ADG for tank designs.
They might not be planted tank afficianados. And they might not be the best aquascapers. But they might be some brilliant fish breeders and keepers.
SunSun Pimp #39
mrchach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #38
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

These people getting all self righteous about using artificial plants and coral makes me laugh. Aquascaping as an art form is creating design, and artificial plants, rocks, wood, or corals is just as artistic as using the real thing. A painter uses all different types of paint. An illustrator uses different types of lead, charcoal, or ink. To an aquascaping artist, artificial items are just another tool. There is no sacrilege here. People outside of our hobby wouldn't give it a second thought at all.

I think it looks great. As an aquascaping fan I think its a wonderful alternative. As a lover of aquatic plants and living art, its not relevant.

Quote:
They might not be planted tank afficianados. And they might not be the best aquascapers. But they might be some brilliant fish breeders and keepers.
Are you talking about ADG? Do you even know who they are? They absolutely are planted tank afficianados. They have the only planted aquascaping art gallery in the whole country. They have won awards and aquascaping contests for their planted aquascapes. They are the closest thing to Amano in this country, but they are also a maintenance company and do reef and salt water.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #39
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I really liked the "plastic" freshwater aquascapes. Elegant, simple to maintain, and eye-catching. They're not planted tanks per se, but they're great aquascapes.
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #40
wakewalking
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Wish ADG put up a video on how they do the plumbing.....unless the store converts these setups I don't see how this has much to do with plantedtank.net. Its basically pretty well done spam....I would hope the ADG guys do these tanks to pay for the real planted tank hobby....which is pretty sad.
wakewalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #41
mikeb210
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)

Robert hit the nail square on the head. ADG has a website full of pictures and several dozen of those photos are of their planted tanks.

Anybody getting all snotty about using fake plants needs to get over themselves first, then go look at the site before bashing an extremely talented group of aquascapers.

Personally I don't at all mind the look of most of their fake planted tanks. Check out the 265 they set up for goldfish. Its beautiful and tastefully done where plants were not an option.

Just because you don't like fake plants does not entitle you to some sense of superiority. ADG has definitely proven themselves in the planted tank category and they've also excelled at composing tanks which use fake plants, in a very beautiful fashion. That's not an easy task.

Anybody can grow plants. The art of this hobby is not in keeping weeds alive, its in using those plants or rocks or driftwood to create a serene and beautiful slice of nature and I say kudos to ADG for pulling it off near-flawless.
mikeb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #42
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

I think those tanks looked amazing and couldn't imagine the amount of maintenance that would be required on the FW tank even if it was a low tech tank. I dont even want to think about keeping a high tech tank that large, in a window looking pristine like it will the way it was set up in the video.

This brings me back to my own personal experiences with a 50g tall that was in the waiting room at one of my dr's offices. It was horrible looking nothing even in the same galaxy as the tanks in the vid. After talking to my dr about it I found out that the tank was a rental of sorts that they pay a company to set up, stock and maintain for a monthly fee. I imagine that this store will be selling ADA/ADG products to walk in customers but probably doing the same type of thing that my dr was paying for too.

Anyone who had anything but exuberant praise to ADG and the business the tanks was set up in is completely ignorant to any knowledge of what maintaining "real" tanks in that type of setting would require. Think about this, you may learn something. What do you think would happen to the water in a tank with that amount of real wood in it? It would be brown and look like dirty water. Then you have to take into account all of that wonderful DW mold that pops up on all newmy submerged DW for the first few months or so. What kind if perception do you think a common person with no knowledge about planted tanks walking down the streets would have? "Man that's nasty" " Those tanks are in a business that takes care of, sells and maintains fish tanks, they obviously have no idea what there doing" "If their tanks look that dirty I'm not having them do mine/letting them near any tank I want in my office/home/business". Most common people would have no clue that anything in those tanks wasn't real so now when they are walking down the street or in the store they will be blown away by the appearance of these tanks.

I'm on my phone so I'm not going to go on anymore but just try to think about the whole picture before you put your opinions out for everybody to see.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #43
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
In this case it was a simple act of fulfilling the clients needs and requests.
Yep, they pay the bills, not the posters here.
I have a "hippo" tank I'm redoing for a client.

300lbs of malachite hippo right in the middle of the tank.
I swore I'd never......
Well, let's see how well I can make it look given this issue.

I try my hardest to train the clients if they do not wish an on going contract service. LFS are virtually impossible to train. So........these are good options for them. They need to be able to sell this product and wood etc and be able to do the install. Once they see ADG do it and the products etc, then they should be able to copy this somewhat.

Can you train them to do an ADA style planted tank?
Not likely. It could be done, but......just not likely.

But...........plastic plants on a planted forum is asking for mud to be thrown. Sort of like going to a reef site and posting fake coral.
Plastic fish anyone?

Cheesy ornaments?

Well, if that's what they like, that's their goal.
Now you'd better make it look good

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 01-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #44
FlSHRFun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Evan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
These people getting all self righteous about using artificial plants and coral makes me laugh. Aquascaping as an art form is creating design, and artificial plants, rocks, wood, or corals is just as artistic as using the real thing. A painter uses all different types of paint. An illustrator uses different types of lead, charcoal, or ink. To an aquascaping artist, artificial items are just another tool. There is no sacrilege here. People outside of our hobby wouldn't give it a second thought at all.

I think it looks great. As an aquascaping fan I think its a wonderful alternative. As a lover of aquatic plants and living art, its not relevant.

Are you talking about ADG? Do you even know who they are? They absolutely are planted tank afficianados. They have the only planted aquascaping art gallery in the whole country. They have won awards and aquascaping contests for their planted aquascapes. They are the closest thing to Amano in this country, but they are also a maintenance company and do reef and salt water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb210 View Post
Robert hit the nail square on the head. ADG has a website full of pictures and several dozen of those photos are of their planted tanks.

Anybody getting all snotty about using fake plants needs to get over themselves first, then go look at the site before bashing an extremely talented group of aquascapers.

Personally I don't at all mind the look of most of their fake planted tanks. Check out the 265 they set up for goldfish. Its beautiful and tastefully done where plants were not an option.

Just because you don't like fake plants does not entitle you to some sense of superiority. ADG has definitely proven themselves in the planted tank category and they've also excelled at composing tanks which use fake plants, in a very beautiful fashion. That's not an easy task.

Anybody can grow plants. The art of this hobby is not in keeping weeds alive, its in using those plants or rocks or driftwood to create a serene and beautiful slice of nature and I say kudos to ADG for pulling it off near-flawless.
Well said, all of you. Some people need to get off their high horses...

FlSHRFun's
ADA 60-F Iwagumi

FlSHRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

After watching the video, I don't see anything really wrong about the way ADG did the aquascapes. They actually look very good for what they were trying to create.

That being said, I find it very hard to consider the store "high end" when they use plastic corals and plants. I can think of several LFS in my area that have large display tanks, both FW and SW, and use live plants or live corals. To me the using the real thing shows that the people in the store know what they are talking about. Plastic just screams to me saying that "we are clueless and have no idea on how to set up or maintain a large planted tank or a large reef tank".
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, adg, picasso