ADG Install at Picasso Exotics! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #16
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Hey Jake, we have them custom crafted - if you are interested in some particular size and shapes then we can get a custom invoice for you for them.
Ok, thanks! I was just wondering, as I had never seen them before. Purely out of curiosity, do you guys use fake stem plants?
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #17
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

No +1 for ADG, they collected the $$$. -1 for the store.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #18
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
For example - it takes more maintenance to keep the 60-P display perfect at ADG than it does to keep a 300 gallon hardscape only discus aquarium perfect in the same space - I'm talking like 30 minutes every two weeks to keep the 300 gallon tank perfect and at the very minimum spending one to two hours a week keeping the 17.7 planted aquarium perfect.
That doesn't sound excessive to me at all. Remember, this is a retail shop, not a hobbyist's tanks. A few hours a week versus having all fake plants and corals...that's tough choice.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
That doesn't sound excessive to me at all. Remember, this is a retail shop, not a hobbyist's tanks. A few hours a week versus having all fake plants and corals...that's tough choice.
What about the costs? All that coral/plants material and equipment cost a heck of a lot of moola. It was a good choice by ADG and the store to make them unplanted. I do agree though that the fake corals look horrid. Dead corals and rocks would have looked much better IMO.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 AM   #20
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

I suppose when it comes down to it, its the stores choice. Hopefully they'll be good owners and slowly switch them over. By the looks of it they have the $$$ to do what they want to.

On a more positive note, great work on the video. Your videos are always top notch. Just seeing the size of, or the equipment in either one of those displays makes me want to scape the crap out of them
Old 12-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #21
trackhazard
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

To play devil's advocate:

Being a pet retailer has nothing to do with whether or not you can design an eyecatching display.

Are you guys this disappointed at your local zoo because its displays were designed by someone else? Or uses fake trees and rocks?

As long as these guys aren't claiming the work was done by them, I don't see anything wrong.

-Charlie
Old 12-31-2010, 01:34 AM   #22
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

I consider it a major contradiction of terms when you have a "high-end" LFS with plastic plants and fake livestock in their display tanks. ADG did a good job with what they had to work with. IME it just makes the LFS look bad and inexperienced. It probably would have been cheaper to get some real plants in there instead of having all of those fake plants fabricated.

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #23
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

i just want to know if the store will make it. Seriously. I'm not rooting against them. I'm rooting for them. It looks like they spent a ton of money on the look and decor of the place. With the economy in crapper, will they be able to make a profit? I sure hope so. Looks like it will be a cool store.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #24
elpezpr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

They could have used live rock for the reef tank along with the fake corals and it would not be hard to keep up.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #25
Spachi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I was just in that area 2 months ago. I suspect rent is not cheap there, and I hope they do well. Hopefully they get more than just window-shoppers.
Anyone know if they are open yet?
Spachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:13 AM   #26
elpezpr
Planted Member

I would love to see another reef setups by ADA.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 AM   #27
gbose
Algae Grower

Default Very Tasteful!

I loved the plastic plants. They will match the plastic fish -- coming soon in early Jan!! These come in two varieties. There's the standard hard plastic version, made of high-impact resin-polymer. But for the real connoisseur, there's the lifesize inflatable latex models with body parts powered by AA batteries. A bit pricy, but well worth the money!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #28
evannave

I normally only browse here but the level of rudeness in the replies to this video leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. While every ones taste and style is different to be so pointlessly mean about something that another person in the hobby clearly is proud of given the time they took to create these aquariums and then to edit and produce a video is surprising. At it best this is a forum for people to help each and further the hobby they enjoy. To belittle something in front of not only the person who created it but also to someone who is a sponser who pays to allow this great message board to thrive and whoose lively hood is based on their reputation is very strange to me. I would also point out that asking for help and more information is the kind of thing that will make that store sucessful in the long run because they are investing in there long term knowledge and ability to help their customers. Realizing that you still have something to learn is an great trait for a business to have. I wish them luck with thier new store.
Evan
evannave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #29
Reginald2
Planted Tank Obsessed

I worked at a big box petstore when I first got out of high school. I regret that the store had animals. Employees are a major cost > fewer/cheaper employees = more money. I can't speak for an upper end retail store, but I imagine they have to play a similar game to compete. ADA/ADG were really creating markets, not joining them.

It seems like a good idea to have some fake stuff in the window, not only to cut down on what needs to be maintained, but I mean It's in a window too.

My Picotope- retired

The 50 Gallon Experiment- retired
Reginald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #30
FDNY911
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

+1 evannave. Can't believe your first post in 4 years as a member had to be this one. Well said either way.

New Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...20-gallon.html

Old Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...en-down-4.html

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
FDNY911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, adg, picasso