Tharsis' 75G Stumptastic Rescape ~5-22-12~ - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #31
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I pulled out a ton of algae today but it was all on the older parts of the plants. There is lots of new algae free growth on the plants which is a good sign.

I seem to be getting a diatom outbreak now, so I will let it run its coarse.

No problems with the milwaukee regulator, it is running great with stable flow rate. I was a little nervous about it but I am quite pleased with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #32
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

So i treated some of the java fern with a squirt of hydrogen peroxide yesterday, will see if that made a difference when the lights come on. The stems are looking better, the CO2 has been very stable and my dosing regime is consistent and that is showing in my plant growth.

My Alternanthera Reineckii is looking pretty bad though, it isn't growing at all. Not sure whats up with that.

Will post pictures when the lights come on this afternoon.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #33
SleepyOwl
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

If you could figure out a way to hide your cords and things, I think the lighted wall would look nice as a background.
Something like this? http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...es-vanish.html

Why did you decide not to get a regular aquarium background? The texture? You could try just spraypainting it black with a spraypaint meant for plastic. I haven't tried it, but it might work better than a peice of plywood. Just a thought.

I have no clue about the algae. I would probably just wait it out too, since you are seeing the algae free growth.
SleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #34
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I like a lighter background, not sure I like the black so much. I may try hiding the cords like in the link.

I didn't get an aquarium background because i am cheap They seem so pricey for just a piece of laminated paper. I tried the wood because i thought the texture would add something nice.

As for the algae, yeah it is slowly subsiding, I am still going on a 5 hour photoperiod for now, so once i have the algae under control i may try to slowly ramp it up to 8 hours.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #35
Tamelesstgr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

The nice thing about vinyl is that with the soapy water you have time to play around with it to get it situated, even with 5-6" to work with. I'm really thinking about light gray for my next tank, of all things, a 75.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #36
Ethics
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Ethics

Sorry to hear about the algae, any updates on the battle?

I really like your driftwood too, looks like the root of a tree, perfect scape for a fishtank.

Keep up the great work,
Mario
Ethics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #37
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
The nice thing about vinyl is that with the soapy water you have time to play around with it to get it situated, even with 5-6" to work with. I'm really thinking about light gray for my next tank, of all things, a 75.
Yeah I think I will just suck it up and get one of those vinyl backgrounds. Its funny the things that I rationalize as being worthy of spending my money on vs the things that are not... I am liking the idea of a lighter background as well. I feel like it gives a more airy open feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethics
Sorry to hear about the algae, any updates on the battle? I really like your driftwood too, looks like the root of a tree, perfect scape for a fishtank.
Yeah the war on algae is slowly turning in my favor as the tank is equilibrating and balancing out. The algae growth is slowing considerably, the only place that it still seems to have a strangle hold is in the moss. Thanks for the compliment on the driftwood, i agree that there is really something very pleasing about the stump scapes.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #38
Tamelesstgr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Go to eBay and type in "24 gray vinyl" look for rolls, they can usually be had for $9+7 shipping for a 10' roll. I have seen a medium gray and a light gray. I can send you a couple of links if you have trouble finding it. You'll also need a squeege, those can be found in the hardware section or paint section for $2.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #39
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

You want to get rid of that algae? 3-5 day blackout. Use tin foil and masking tape. Black it out for AT LEAST 3 days. Complete darkness. NO PEEKING! When you unwrap it, all the algae will be dead. Huge water change and vacuum as much out as you can. Then keep up on some 25% w/c and you will get all the organics out of the water. Also, you might need some better flow...

I had a waaaaaay worse problem than you, and the blackout did the trick. Also, try overdosing excel for a week after you do the blackout.

Here's my tank before:

Here's after only 5 days of my certified treatment!!!:

Of course I'm completely lying... lol... the after pic is like a month... but you get the picture...

My tank journals 65 Gallon Long & 33 gal
non_compliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #40
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the heads up Tamelesstgr, I will check it out. Yesterday i actually found a huge role of beige/brown thick paper that i added to the back.

FLASH

NO FLASH

I definitely like it better than the dark background and has convinced me to go with a lighter background. I am not totally sold on this particular color though so i think i will look into the vinyl colors on [Ebay Link Removed]

Wow Non-compliance, that was a serious algae problem,
Nice job eradicating it, the tank looks good, i really like that thin leafed radiating plant...what is it?

I contemplated doing a black out for a bit, but I was hesitant because my plants were already in bad shape from the move and I was nervous that the black out would pretty much kill them. In any case, the algae is slowly subsiding so i will stay the course. I did a major trim of all the stem plants yesterday, kept the new growth and threw destroyed the rest. I am going to start spot dosing excel on the moss and go from there.

On a side note, I am having a lot of trouble photgraphing this tank for some reason...the colors always look really washed out, I am wondering if this is related to the lights. I think i am going to sell the VHO set-up (ballast/endcaps/lights) and get a T5 HO set-up.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #41
SleepyOwl
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looks good!

Where did you get your stump?
SleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #42
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Thanks!

There is a large lake about 10 minutes from my house that has a glut of driftwood on the beach. Lots of rootwood and big ol' stumps. Entire trees will wash up during big storms, people will come and cut the trunks off for firewood and leave the stumps. There are probably several dozen stumps like the one in my tank over about a 1 mile stretch of beach.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #43
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your pictures are probably not colored because your white balance is off... some cameras will let you change it for florescent lights... or daylight... or whatever... see if you can play with that. If you can do custom, then that would be best... put something stark white in the tank and point the camera at it. It will know how to adjust the color for the lights based on the white item.

Yeah, that algae fest was due to me going on a 2 week vacation... I blacked it out, vacuumed it up, mowed the lawn, blacked it out again a few days later, and vacuumed... then w/c w/c w/c... took about a week to get most of it gone. All my friends said to throw it in the trash, but I liked the challenge.

The plant is blyxa japonica.

A 3 day blackout shouldn't hurt plants..even if they're not doing the best...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #44
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Blyxa japonica... really?? The leaves seem a lot thicker/broader than normal, I had some in another tank before i moved and it was growing really well but it didn't seem as chunky as yours. It maybe just an illusion..what sized tank is that?

My goal is to get rid of all the Dwarf sag in the front left of my tank and replace it with Blyxa.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #45
non_compliance
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank is a 5.5... and the REALLY thicker leaved stuff is dwarf sag....