How long to wait?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Question

How long to wait?

So I got the new Fluval Ebi. I love it so far. I have one female Betta, one Amano Shrimp, and three Zebra Danios. I found a good auction: 30+ RCS for $35 shipped. So, the tank has been set up since Friday. It appears to be cycled, as all of the NH3, NO3, and NO4 are right where they should be. How? I seeded it with gravel in a sock from my 29 community, and put some gravel from my ten gallon inside the filter between the two sponge things. I will soon be adding one beautiful Platinum Half Moon Betta. I will take the female Betta out if I must. Do I need to? Or does that depend on the personalities of the individual fish? I do not care if the fish will eat the babies, as I will be moving all berried shrimp to my 2.5 as a nursery. Oh, and will the Zebra Danios be dangerous for the shrimp if I get really small ones? Because I've been watching them nip at each other. But not at the Betta or Amano. And is there some really small Pleco that could live in here? And will Amazon Sword be okay? And is Anubias really dangerous to shrimp? And How long should I wait before adding CRS? Not the RCS, but CRS. I would like to keep both. And finally, can I keep dwarf Crays with the shrimp? Thanks SOOOOO much. Any help is appreciated, and I will post pics soon.

So a Bristlenose pleco will be okay in this tank? Cool! Thanks. And do they need driftwood?
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Cuchulainn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any fish could be deemed potentially dangerous to a shrimp. Fish are opportunistic feeders by nature. Most will attempt to eat anything they can fit in there mouth. Abn plecos may be ok in with shrimp, I doubt they would bother chasing them. I've never heard of Anubias being bad for shrimp, but someone else may have a different idea about this? Dwarf crays will be fine with the Red cherry shrimp for sure. The shrimp will "dance" on the heads of crays, while cleaning them.
Although some shrimp prefer different water parameters than crays, so suggest doing more research
Cuchulainn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
mfgann
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My current betta hunted down and devoured each of the three RCS I put in his tank to test whether he would tolerate them. He had a good thanksgiving dinner.

The betta I had before didn't pay much attention to the ghost shrimp, but that was in a 30G.

The only safe fish I've heard of are otos. They're supposed to be fine on all accounts. Some other fish will devour shrimplets, with some such as neons, guppies, and endlers hunting them down. Some will only take a few if they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bottom line, if you're wanting a good breeding colony, otos are about it.
2.5G MiniBow Hood Filter: Planted, Betta named Sushi
mfgann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crs, ebi, fluval, rcs, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.