Lighting Color
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-04-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
Moisted

PTrader: (0/0%)

This may have been discussed before, please forgive the redundancy, but I'm getting confused lately about how to determine the color of a bulb.

Is the color temperature (in degrees kelvin) a good measure of what color light you're gonna get from the bulb, or does that also depend on different peeks in the spectrum?

In other words, is a 6500K bulb always bluer than a 5300K, or does it also depend on other stuff (like peeks in color spectrum, etc.)? I've been getting different responses from different sources.

Thanks in advance.
Moisted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
or does it also depend on other stuff (like peeks in color spectrum, etc.)?
Color temp. is not an accurate way to select bulbs for a planted tank. You want bulbs with peaks in the blue and red spectrum. Check out the post at the top of the lighting section titled "Lumens and PAR" for more specific info.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2003, 09:06 PM   #3
Moisted

Thanks Marcel. I appreciate that plants need light that peeks in red and blue regions. But I wanted to know how we can determine the color of a bulb (regardless of the intensity or appropriateness).

Tell you why I'm asking. I needed to replace my florescent bulb, and was deciding between a 6500K and a 5300K. The spectra distribution of both lamps seemed pretty close. I went with the 6500K because I thought it'd be bluer, I like a little hint of blue. But it's actually pretty yellow...

The guy at LFS tells me the 5300K is bluer than the 6500K. But that doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks
Moisted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm sorry, I misread the question.
Generally speaking , the red tones refer to lower kelvin #s, blue tones refer to high kelvin #s.
Kelvin temp ratings refer more to how the light looks rather than spectral peaks.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2003, 10:06 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

The Kelvin rating is merely an indicator of the color that the bulb will appear to our eyes. The popular Perfecto strip with 9325K Power Compact bulbs is more red/violet to the eye than most 6500K Power Compact bulbs.

As a rule of thumb, higher Kelvin bulbs tend to be more blue in appearance but each bulb is different. It's best to find an example and see for yourself.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:03 AM   #6
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

The guy at your LFS is mistaken. I like the bluer bulbs, particularly 6500Ks and up. 5300K looked WAY too yellow for me. Now I'm running one of both but will go with two 6500Ks when it's time to replace. I'm also thinking about adding a third 55 Watt strip when I get some extra money (yeah, right...hahaha), but that's another story...

37 gallon AGA Black Seal, Emperor 400, Ebo Jager 200 W, 100% Flourite Substrate, 2x55 Watt AH Supply PC Lighting (5300K & 6400K) @ ~3.4 WPG, High-Pressure CO2.
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.