Fluval Spec!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
hockey9999
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Spec!

I just took a trip to my LFS, Fishtown USA in Ramsey NJ, and I really didn't have any intentions of buying anything. My Girlfriend already got me a Fluval Ebi and Fluval 88g CO2 kit for Christmas so I was basically just browsing for drift wood or random stuff for it while I wait for Christmas.

But I walked in, and they had the Fluval Spec sitting there. As soon as I saw it I knew I wasn't leaving without it. I also got a small bag of the Fluval Shrimp Stratum, I was planning on getting another bag anyway for the Ebi and a very small piece of wood.

So I came home and set it up. I tied some moss (no clue what kind) to the wood and threw in a rock from a different tank.

I think I will make this tank just for shrimp and maybe a Pygmy Cory, and then dedicate the Fluval Ebi to the Dwarf Puffers I have been wanting, not sure yet.

I really like the Spec. I think it is very well made. The filter is pretty nice, it consists of a small 40gph pump in the back and there is a large block of foam, a small bag of carbon, and a small bag of ceramic bio material. The light consists of 31 LED's and seems pretty bright.

For $49.99, I couldn't pass it up.

Here is a quick iPhone picture, I will post some hi-res shots once the water clears up.

photo by dougjacobs99, on Flickr

hockey9999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
chumlee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Im like 40 min from ramsey, i should take a trip down there and get one. Very nice!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy
Razzi - Check out my photos
chumlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
hockey9999
Planted Member

If your serious, do it quick! They only had about 4-5 left in stock when I bought mine an hour ago. 2 other people got them while I was there.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
hockey9999
Planted Member

Some updates on my tank. I should probably start a journal but I am not sure how much I am going to put into the Spec with the Ebi on the way soon. I will probably concentrate more on that for now.

I was able to cycle the tank almost instantly by taking some junk and a bit of filter material out of my XP3 that's on a different tank. I also filled it with water from that tank. I threw in 2 small guppies and 3 ghost shrimp just to see how they do. They are my first experience with keeping shrimp, I cant believe how interesting they are to watch! I cant wait until it becomes more established so I can get rid of them and add some nicer shrimp. I also took some Cabomba from my other tank. I am not sure how nano-appropriate Cabomba is, or how well it will do under the Spec's LED lighting, but the light seems pretty bright. I haven't been able to find any specifics about the fixture yet..

Here is a pic, let me know what you guys think!

photo 1 by dougjacobs99, on Flickr
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

looks very good!

i had dwarf puffers, they are packed with energy and are super personable! they always came to see me when i walked in.... RIP,,....

good luck with yours, keep us updated
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
hockey9999
Planted Member

Just took a few much better pic's. I also added an Anubias Nana Petite, though I didn't get it in focus in the FTS below. Out of curiosity, what do they usually go for at an LFS?

One full tank shot (I should have taken the pictures before I fed them..)

IMG_3753 by dougjacobs99, on Flickr

And one extreme ghost shrimp closeup!

IMG_3744 by dougjacobs99, on Flickr
Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Great pics, do you have a macro lense? I'm in the market for one with a nikon mount.

If your talking about the dps, I got mine for 4.99 each. Pretty good prices. Just make sure you watch out for ips
Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
hockey9999
Planted Member

Thanks!

The pic's were taken with a Canon Rebel XSi and Canon 60mm Macro. I can't wait to get some prettier shrimp, they will be a lot more fun photograph!

I was referring to the Anubias Nana Petite. I've really never bought anything besides cheap stem/bunch plants so I am not familiar with the pricing.

What is ips?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
hockey9999
Planted Member

2 more kinda cool shrimp shots. Controlling the depth of field at 1:1 magnification seems to be even more challenging when taking aquarium shots.

IMG_3731 by dougjacobs99, on Flickr

IMG_3730 by dougjacobs99, on Flickr
Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #10
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Cool pictures, I am a nikon man. I shoot with a nikon d90. At the moment, I don't have a macro lens but I have an extension tube I use, which helps. But it's sure not a macro lens

How do you achieve your tank shots? I usually use an on flash with a tether pointed down at into the tank. But I was wondering if there is an easier way. It's kind of hard to do with one hand hold the camera and one on the flash

ips stands for internal parasites. They are common with dps

You can call me Bob
Old 12-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
hockey9999
Planted Member

I was basically doing the same thing as you described. Off camera flash firing down into the tank. If I remember correctly, they were taken at around 1/200, f6.3, ISO 200. I agree, hand holding the flash is a pain in the a$$. Wireless flash triggers would be ideal.

I really haven't taken many shots of tanks before, I am sure I will refine my technique. I'll keep you updated.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Suncat

I love the idea of the Spec and I'm thinking of getting one and stocking it with a few shrimp. I'm curious as to how well it holds the water temperature within range (based on ambient room temperature...can't see how you could add a heater). I'd love to set up one at my office at work, but since the room temperature can swing from warm during the day to cold at night, I'm afraid that plants and shrimp would not last too long.
Suncat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Awesome pics! Any updates? How is the light? I'm thinking of getting one for my office. Any additional info would be great.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
hockey9999
Planted Member

Suncat, it seems to be holding the temperature pretty well but the room it is in doesn't have very much of a temp swing.

There is definitely room in filter area for a small filter. Since it is only 2 gallons, I would think and small heater would work.

antbug, Not much has changed in the tank in terms of updates/changes. The lighting seems to be sufficient to support plant growth. To give you an idea, the 3 stems of Cabomba on the left of the tank are now all at the waters surface and the others have all shown pretty good growth.

I will try to get some updated pic's soon.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
hockey9999
Planted Member

A quick iPhone pic to give an idea of growth over the last 8-10 days.

photo by dougjacobs99, on Flickr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.