Fluval Flora CO2 mod...will it work?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
kcharm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Flora CO2 mod...will it work?

Just looking for an opinion.

I just picked up a Fluval Flora to replace a 10 gal tank that I started to deal with too many plants that I acquired when setting up a 0.9 gallon tank. The Flora makes more sense, size wise, than my 10 does.

I like a lot of things about the Flora, the size and shape being amongst the best. But the double bell CO2 diffuser thing is lame!

What I'd like to do is run an airstone, or even a cut off chopstick, right next to the intake of the Fluval filter that came with the Flora.

Will that diffuse things enough? I'll build a DIY bubble counter before this really gets up and running so I can adjust the CO2 from the stock cartridge. I hope that little cartridge will last long enough. Any suggestions on bubble counts for this tank?

The other big modification I have already made was to cut out the foam background around the heater and filter so they occupy less space within the tank. The silicone holding it to the back is drying and should be ready to go for a Sunday transfer of plants and livestock!

I'll post pics then.
kcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
seanm222
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sounds like it should work. I think the chopstick might produce finer bubbles than the airstone. You can get really good deals on glass bubble counters and diffusers on ebay also.

The bubble count depends on your plant stocking level. Do you have a drop checker?
seanm222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

You might be able to put the Co2 feed line directly into the filter sponge and use the filter as a diffuser like people do with the Hagen Elite Mini filter. I haven't put my hands on the new Fluval filter included in that kit so I can't say for sure if that idea will work. Seems very possible though...
GitMoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
kcharm
Algae Grower

I ended up drilling a hole in the side of the case and putting a small ceramic airstone in front of the first of 2 sponge filters on the filter. There are three 'chambers' in the filter and the first, with the airstone in it, is empty. Should work.

Guess I'll get a drop checker too. For now, I'm going to shoot for very few bubbles.

CO2 is mostly for the dwarf hairgrass carpet since I'm sure the Java moss and milfoil won't care.

I'm hoping that the stock 13 W life will sustain things for a week or so until I can get my light built. I bought the bulb on Amazon, a 26W spiral CFL 6500K. Should work well.
kcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
SearunSimpson
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, if that doesn't work, I'd just pick up a small disk style diffuser. I really have no idea why Hagen put that double bell in such a small tank.
For disks, GLA's glass diffusers are pretty nice, and affordable too. If you do go glass, I'd pick up a couple maybe in case you break one.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
SearunSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote