3G jbj picotope
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Cottagewitch's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 670
Default

3G jbj picotope


I just wanted to say that I LOVE this little tank!!!! The plants are almost perfect now. I feel I'm still missing something. I need to figure out a low light plant that's fuzzier-looking (for lack of a better word). I have decided to go with the Endler's livebearers and will be buying from Adrian. I had thought to get an Oto for help with algae control but hubby has expressed a desire for shrimp so I'll have to do some research into the different shrimp available. Still, I just wanted to share just how awesome these picotopes are. I can definitely see myself buying more of these in the future. As with everything, there are cons. 1) I'm least impressed with the filter. I may change it out in the future. 2) The available lighting is limited but if you don't mind low light plants, which I don't, then it's not really a problem. However, in the future I'd like to get another Picotope and retrofit some LEDs into as a higher light option. The fixture itself is very suitable for this tank. Ok, enough of my babbling. I just wanted to share how much I truly enjoy this little tank.
__________________
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Cottagewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 792
Default

Great choice. I bought myself one of these back in September when I first started this hobby, it's a great starter! I can't seem to find the replacement filter cartridges that are made for the filter. If you find that out, let me know! (b/c my filter is due for a change of cartridges)
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Newman
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,244
Default

lighting doesnt have to be limited. get a coralife 26W PC fixture and buy the 6700K bulbs. will work great with CO2 injection (cuz youre at 12 wpg. I actually ran that light on the picotope for my reef setup for a while. worked good.) another one is the single bulb current satellite. one 18W bulb.
or you can make some LED lighting for yourself.


with regard to filter cartriges, what I would do is just rinse out the sponge, obviously reuse it since you dont want to lose your bacteria. rinse out the ceramic rings (or w/e the bio media is in that little HOB filter) and change the carbon (make your own with a little mesh bag and pour enough active carbon in there and tie it. active carbon can be bought in big bags, cut open and used with the small mesh bag, that you must get the one they give out wont work.)
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Cottagewitch's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 670
Default

When I bought mine, I ordered a replacement set to have on hand. I got mine through Amazon.com believe it or not.

These are just such awesome little tanks! I've been keeping non-planted tanks for far too many years to count and even tried my hand at reefing before. I've had all sorts of tanks up to 75g and this is by far my favorite. Its like a little jewel.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Great choice. I bought myself one of these back in September when I first started this hobby, it's a great starter! I can't seem to find the replacement filter cartridges that are made for the filter. If you find that out, let me know! (b/c my filter is due for a change of cartridges)
__________________
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Cottagewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Cottagewitch's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
lighting doesnt have to be limited. get a coralife 26W PC fixture and buy the 6700K bulbs. will work great with CO2 injection (cuz youre at 12 wpg. I actually ran that light on the picotope for my reef setup for a while. worked good.) another one is the single bulb current satellite. one 18W bulb.
or you can make some LED lighting for yourself.


with regard to filter cartriges, what I would do is just rinse out the sponge, obviously reuse it since you dont want to lose your bacteria. rinse out the ceramic rings (or w/e the bio media is in that little HOB filter) and change the carbon (make your own with a little mesh bag and pour enough active carbon in there and tie it. active carbon can be bought in big bags, cut open and used with the small mesh bag, that you must get the one they give out wont work.)

Newman, great suggestions! I actually love the light fixture that comes with this tank so if I do anything it'll be retrofitting some LED's in the same fixture. I have a friend who's an electrical engineer that's agreed to help me if I decide to go that route eventually.

As for the filter, it does come with a small mesh bag of charcoal. It wouldn't be a problem to refill it I think. But filter media bags are easy to come by. Beyond that it has a very pourous sponge to help filter out larger particles and a much finer sponge type thing to filter out finer particles. I've been putting in fresh filter floss daily to help filter out the gunk since this tank is fairly new but I think I'm ready to put the charcoal back in.
__________________
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Cottagewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Cottagewitch's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 670
Default

__________________
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Cottagewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
mfgann
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 31
Default

I've heard the evaporation on these can be pretty bad. I'm hoping santa brings me one for the office though. I would really like a little shrimp tank there. Your tank is looking great.

As for shrimp, if you haven't kept shrimp before I'd recommend Red Cherry Shrimp. They're very tolerant for shrimp (some can be very finicky) and very easy to breed. The basic shrimp rules are NO COPPER, plant heavily, tank must be established before adding them, NO COPPER, no salt (though I've found RCS seem to tolerate a half dose. I had some I didn't find in a move before medicating and they made it fine), be careful of meds and use half doses of meds with NO COPPER.
Hikari crab cuisine is good and gives them extra calcium, and they like the algae wafers too.
__________________
Matthew
30G AquaClear50: Lightly planted, 2 glofish, 2 platies, 2 ottos, 4 kuhli loaches, a mystery snail and ghost shrimp.
10G Sponge filter: Heavily planted, 2 ottos, 2 kuhli loaches, red cherry shrimp
2.5G MiniBow Hood Filter: Planted, Betta named Sushi
mfgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Cottagewitch's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgann View Post
I've heard the evaporation on these can be pretty bad. I'm hoping santa brings me one for the office though. I would really like a little shrimp tank there. Your tank is looking great.

As for shrimp, if you haven't kept shrimp before I'd recommend Red Cherry Shrimp. They're very tolerant for shrimp (some can be very finicky) and very easy to breed. The basic shrimp rules are NO COPPER, plant heavily, tank must be established before adding them, NO COPPER, no salt (though I've found RCS seem to tolerate a half dose. I had some I didn't find in a move before medicating and they made it fine), be careful of meds and use half doses of meds with NO COPPER.
Hikari crab cuisine is good and gives them extra calcium, and they like the algae wafers too.
I do have to add about a cup of water every morning. Obviously the drier the air in your home, the more it evaporates.

Thank you for the compliment and the recommendation on the shrimp. I was thinking once the cycle is finished that I'll get fish first and then the shrimp later. I'll check on the RCS first of all.
__________________
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Cottagewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
SgtPeppersLHC
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
SgtPeppersLHC's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Default

What are those little floating plants you have called?
SgtPeppersLHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Cottagewitch's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPeppersLHC View Post
What are those little floating plants you have called?
Duckweed. I'm told I'll learn to hate them but I haven't gotten there yet. They do grow/multiply rapidly but I don't find it troublesome to clean them out. My tank is so small as it is so they have little chance of getting out of control.
__________________
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Cottagewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Newman
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,244
Default

very nice start! I love the shape of the DW youre using. good call on the amazonia soil. good stuff for softer water animals.
I know youre a plant expert but just though I'd say this anyway- that pheonix moss especially the one up top left is prone to getting infested with all sorts of algae if it gets too much light. I'm sure you know how to avoid that though (maybe co2 injection)

what fish were you thinking for this pico tank? not a lot of FW fish can permanently stay here. some that I can think of are chili rasboras and scarlet badis. besides the bettas of course. you should cover the tank with a custom glass lid if youre going with fish.especially bettas, they love to jump.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Cottagewitch's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
very nice start! I love the shape of the DW youre using. good call on the amazonia soil. good stuff for softer water animals.
I know youre a plant expert but just though I'd say this anyway- that pheonix moss especially the one up top left is prone to getting infested with all sorts of algae if it gets too much light. I'm sure you know how to avoid that though (maybe co2 injection)

what fish were you thinking for this pico tank? not a lot of FW fish can permanently stay here. some that I can think of are chili rasboras and scarlet badis. besides the bettas of course. you should cover the tank with a custom glass lid if youre going with fish.especially bettas, they love to jump.

I'm definitely NOT a plant expert Newman. VERY far from it. LOL Phoenix moss....is that the one closest to the surface? Drats! I thought that was the fissidens. (My expertise is show huh? *giggle*) I do have DIY co2 on this tank so that should help. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the Amazonia. With my liquid granite water, I need all the help I can get softening the water. I am going to go with a mix of tap and RO to help bring it down more.

Fish..I'm going with Endler's Livebearers. Lid? Hmmm...are Endler's jumpers too? (starts thinking about covers) Already one of my cats thinks this is her personal watering dish.

Thank goodness I still have time before I get the fish. My ammonia may be dropping but the nitrites and nitrates are both still off the charts.
__________________
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Cottagewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru
 
PinoyBoy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WA, USA
Posts: 1,349
Default

Phoenix moss is another name for fissidens of some kind. BTW nice scape, you have all my favorite low light plants on it [minus the duckweed]
__________________
Currently out of the hobby
Forum lurking every now and then
PinoyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Cottagewitch's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Phoenix moss is another name for fissidens of some kind. BTW nice scape, you have all my favorite low light plants on it [minus the duckweed]

LOL Oh yes, my expertise is SOOOO showing. I'm going to have to keep notes on this stuff. (sigh)

I'm still looking for another plant to add to the tank. Something feathery that will enjoy the low light conditions. Any recommendations?
__________________
"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Cottagewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Newman
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,244
Default

christmas moss FTW
endlers will jump. eventually at least. are you sure they are a good idea? given their breeding capacity you would eventually be running a high nurtient system. so just do plenty of water changes if you go with them. not saying that they totally wont work. if you go controlling your water like that (RO mixing) make sure you do the same dose of each ingredient each time to avoid any sort of fluctuating water parameters(KH, GH, and pH most notably)

cant wait to see how this runs out!
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012