Dormant period for my Aponogeton bovinianus?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
scalare altum
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to scalare altum

Dormant period for my Aponogeton bovinianus?

Hello everyone, my Aponogeton bovinianus has decreased in leaf growth, and is dieing down. Now I am wondering if I should give it a dormant period. How do I do this? Do I plant the tuber in the fridge with wet sand, or in a cool place with wet sand. Please someone tell me the best way to do this. How long should the period go for? Also is it true it needs a lot of nutrients to grow back?

Thanks,

Joel
We always put animals in cages so that we can take pleasure in seeing them. Perhpas if we put them in places that they can take pleasure in living in, then we would find them more beautiful to look at when they showed themselves. -Takashi Amano
scalare altum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 12:13 AM   #2
scalare altum
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to scalare altum

No one knows??? There seems to be a lot of smart plant people here...why isn't anyone responding???

-Joel
We always put animals in cages so that we can take pleasure in seeing them. Perhpas if we put them in places that they can take pleasure in living in, then we would find them more beautiful to look at when they showed themselves. -Takashi Amano
scalare altum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:58 AM   #3
aquarium boy
Planted Member

i have not ever herd about this but yea thats what they do for bonsai
aquarium boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
bellisb925
Planted Member

I have the same thing happening at this very moment. I did a search and found 1 thread.
bellisb925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:13 AM   #5
lowcoaster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Most bulb plants have a dormant stage--the only exception is Aponogeton crispus and I don't know why--I have had these plants growing steadily in my tanks for 8 years!!!

When any of your bulbs begins to go dormant, place it in wet sand in a container(not completely airtight) in the refridgerator for 3-4 months. After this, clean off the bulb(s), place in a wet paper towel and then loosely in a plastic bag. Place this in a warm place (like a furnace room or top of a refridgerator) for a few days---sprouts or "eyes" should form. Place in your tank and cross your fingers---it should come back. While I have used this method several times, I have not always been successful.
lowcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote