Big's Fluval Ebi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Big's Fluval Ebi

got it filled,

I really like the mini internal filter it came with it uses 3 chambers that you can fill your own way or use the included media. I left the included the foam in place, and added some used floss and a little charcoal i had in my other shrimp tank to seed this tank. Got a Fluval Compact heater in there that is nice and low profile.
So far i got Fissidens, Taiwan, Java, Christmas, Spikey, 2 other unknown mosses tied to rocks for starting along with a bunch of anubias petite just floating around. waiting for my flame, and weeping moss along with my java ferns and a few mini marimo balls to arrive be for i do any real scaping.

crappy cam, hopefully i can steal my woman's camera shes getting for christmas to get good shots
The tank is in its temporary home as it cycles, once it cycles and i move the shrimp in, i can take down my other tank, and move this one.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4

Last edited by bigboij; 12-12-2010 at 03:19 AM..
bigboij is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
chumlee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I Want one SO bad. I will keep in touch with you to see how you like it. Have anything to say about the substrate and the lighting?
chumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

What's the wattage on the heater and how well does it hold the temp? I have seen people complaining that the 25W heater won't really go up past 73 on a 8 gallon.
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
Franco
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have the same heater on a 10 gal and it stays about 75* with the room temp ranging from 68-71.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Yes, an ebi thread, I'm definitely getting one of these soon and want to know how it works out for you. What shrimp are you using?
subscribed
edit: yeah... I don't know how to subscribe haha, how do I do that?
Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumlee View Post
I Want one SO bad. I will keep in touch with you to see how you like it. Have anything to say about the substrate and the lighting?
The substrate is a bit light, planting some types of plants may be tricky as they will float up fairly easily until they root, but i think it should grow fairly decent. I stuck a small clump of marsilea minuta, in it to see if it takes hold and test the growing potential of the stuff, as my main layout will be moss and ferns. I've noticed the little balls can crush fairly easy if you give it a squeeze, it will be to been seen if it holds its shape on it's own.

The light is a 13W PC which is fairly decent light for a low/med lit tank this size. The quality is good and sturdy with a pretty good reflector. The design would allow you to easily add a second light to the tank to get higher light for those who would want a HC carpet or the more red plants, as i think the single light may be a bit lacking for higher light plants.

the block you plug into the wall/strip is the ballast for the light, so it gets little warm (not anything that i would worry about) and hums just a tiny bit, like most ballasts do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
What's the wattage on the heater and how well does it hold the temp? I have seen people complaining that the 25W heater won't really go up past 73 on a 8 gallon.
I had some concerns my self at the start when it didn't seem to be heating up then i read the directions and left it in the tank unplugged for about 10 mins so it could calibrate it's self then plugged it in. Woke up this, and its holding my temp at 78ish all day (according to the included thermometer, may grab one from one of my other tanks to compare) with the light on and cover on this 7.9g tank. Once the light goes off ill give it a few hrs and check to see if it makes any difference, I dont think it will change much as by just feeling the glass cover under the light there is minimal heat felt.

Update!! put in another thermometer its showing 74-75, then used my infared thermometer and its showing 75.6 so what does that tell me? I have no real idea what the temp exactly it is but its some where in the mid 70s not @ the 78deg that the heater states it should be. May be due to the location of were i put it, im going to try moving it to a higher flow area in the tank to see if i get better results (like the directions say) granted the heater says its rated for 6.6 g tank, i would think it would simply run more often to keep up but it cycles on and off as if it thinks its hitting the right temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Shrimpo View Post
Yes, an ebi thread, I'm definitely getting one of these soon and want to know how it works out for you. What shrimp are you using?
subscribed
For starters just some RCS i have, breeding like crazy in a 2.5g tank. Waiting on a deal on some C-A CRS/CBS (im cheap) and then i plan to try my hand with raising them. For the cost and all in one'ness of these ebi tanks i may pick up another one (maybe more) so i can try a couple different types of shrimp, or use to separate/raise better grade Crystals later on.
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's cool, can you adjust the heater at all? Because to keep it at 78 wouldn't work for the CRS, most heaters are adjustable anyway...
I'd love to put some high grade CRS in there and watch them go, the soil's supposed to be great for shrimp.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yea it looks completely unadjustable, looking at the book, but it running at 74-75 could be a good thing
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha yeah, except that's still a little high, CRS show better colors and females keep eggs better at around 71-73.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:32 AM   #10
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

PTrader: (125/100%)

It would have been nice for them to make it so that the filter could have been behind the fake rock background. Would have made it look clean
Canon Pimp Club #005
ZID ZULANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
gregpxc
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

subscribed
gregpxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

cool tank, i think i need one.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Is power to the lights separate so you can put it on a timer, or all in one like the Chi?
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
hockey9999
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Everything has its own power cord.
hockey9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZID ZULANDER View Post
It would have been nice for them to make it so that the filter could have been behind the fake rock background. Would have made it look clean
that would have been cool but the background is less than a inch thick so if they did that it would take a lot of tank space moving the background forward.

Although if one wanted they could probably remove the background cut a few holes in the foam and put the filter back there sacrificing the space. Or build there own filter uising a powerhead some tubing and some bulk sponge making the entire rear into a giant filter.The background looks like its only held on with a couple spots of silicone glue, but ill let some one else try that project

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
Is power to the lights separate so you can put it on a timer, or all in one like the Chi?
yep lights and filter are separate
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4

Tags
crs, ebi, rcs, shrimp