VaultBoy's 50G Corner Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
VaultBoy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

VaultBoy's 50G Corner Tank

Hi everyone this is my 50g corner tank i bought of ebay for a steal.

Given that this project has been completed on a very tight budget I had to be creative and get my DIY skills out. The only thing i have purchased for this tank setup so far is the gravel, the tank, the return pump for the sump and the parts for the DIY trickle filter.

The stand is built from 90mm * 50mm (close to what americans call 2 * 4) Timber studs, braced around the back with ply.

Stocked with 1 Synodontis Eupterus, 2 Siamese algae eaters, 2 Leopard Corys(i have to get more of these they are soo cool) and a school of about 14 neon tetras. I have Endlers guppys and red cherry shrimp which I want to introduce once their numbers increase in their respective breeding tanks.

Planted with an anubias? on the RHS an amazon sword? on the LHS, Baby tears, a Banana lily, Hair grass and a scattering of java moss.

I used MTS as a substrate with a capping of 2mm black gravel, DIY Co2 with 2 * 1.5L bottles running through the venturi on my Fluval 3plus in tank filter, and into my diffusor made from a gravel vacuum which is ugly but giving me almost 100% dissolution rate.

The sump is fed by a DIY constant siphon over flow made from 20mm PVC pipe and fittings which has had no trouble coping with the 200GPH return pump from the sump and is surprisingly quiet. The trickle filter is a bucket full of body scrubbers, because i cant find the pot scrubbing variety anywhere over here, and the drip tray is packed with filter floss for mechanical filtration.

Lighting is supplied by a twin 18w T8 fluro, but i plan on integrating 3 more compact fluros into the hood when it is built. Under the cabinet i have an 18w compact fulro above the sump, I am growing duckweed and a couple of stems in the sump just for extra nitrate removal and cover for the Endlers fry that i am growing out in there.

Let me know what you think along with any suggestions for progressing this tank.

Thanks for checking it out, Jack
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

I remembered your thread asking about the limestone .
It does look nice in that corner box. Looks like a good start and kudos on the sump as well. I look forward to your updates to see how it all works out as you adjust things. I'm suscribing to your thread my Aussie aquarium friend.

DIY makes the world go round
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Very nice! Updates?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Cuchulainn
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome setup Jack! Makes me want a corner aquarium all the more Dig all the diy setups
Cuchulainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
VaultBoy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a quick update with a few changes, a couple of plant additions, and a couple of fish added namely 2 more leopard corys and a Rainbow fish from the Murray river that is not far from me.

Also I took a couple of rocks out and moved the drift wood a little so I could get behind it better. The "Anubias" i was sold was actually a Spathiphyllum Peace Lily, my fault really because I didnt know what i was buying, so it is gone and there is a real Anubias in its place. The Amazon sword that i was told would grow tied to wood never did anything so i took it off the wood and planted the roots in the soil and it has gone crazy since then.

I was worried about the limestone making the water too hard and I dont have a water test kit but from what I have read Endlers and Corys wont breed in hard water and they have all been at it like rabbits, and all of my plants are growing, i have had a bit of an algae problem but the siamese algae eaters and ramshorn snails are doing a pretty good job of keeping it down and it seems to be declining now.

The only thing i have to improve is the lighting, I am building an LED light for my 29g tank so when that is done the light on the 29g will be put on this tank making a total of 4 X 24" T8 fluros overdriven 2 X. In the future if the LED fixture is as good as I am hoping it will be then I plan to build another for this tank.

Thanks for reading
Jack.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
VaultBoy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have just done a bit of a tidy up and a replant i seperated the sword plant i had, i hope this was not the wrong thing to do, by cutting the crown of the plant in to 3 sections each with some healthy leaves, roots and a growing centre, so hopefully they will all be ok. Also i got sick of looking at the hair grass that was really messy and tangled, also not a healthy looking green colour it was a bit yellow, i think because it doesnt get a lot of light against the front of the tank. So i have planted a few pieces of java moss in the gravel to cover the front centre section where the hair grass was removed.

I am also having second thoughts about the piece of drift wood in there. I love the piece of wood itself but its not really integrating into the scape like i wanted it to... Any ideas on how i could improve it?

I moved this little guy out of my RCS tank because he started getting bossy (made the berried shrimp drop their eggs) and was digging up my MTS so now he lives in my sump eating detritus, plant trimmings that i put in there and the occasional endlers fry

Cherax Destructor
Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
Fish4Fun
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I love this tank!!!!!!
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
Kibblemania1414
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love it!! How did you do the filter again? You should make a thread called diy filter. That would be nice
Kibblemania1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
VaultBoy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got some new inhabitants for my tank this weekend... im not sure the exact species but they are some type of Macrobrachium prawn I think maybe Rosbergi? but I will prob never know

The bigger ones are about 3 inches long and thats about as big as they get. They are a little feisty which meant I had to remove my 4 Sterbai Cories but they now have a nice home in my 29g RCS and endlers tank.

Do you really think i should write a DIY filter thread? i didnt think it was that special really i just built it coz im a tight ass and didnt want to spend any money... not that i have it to spend even if i want.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think you should write a DIY thread. I would love to build a sump and I like the look of yours.

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

17 Gallon Planted Room Tank
6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Swan900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
VaultBoy
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ml#post1325562

here is a DIY thread about the sump/overflow system that i built for this tank.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #12
macclellan
H+

PTrader: (208/100%)

While I'm not a fan of those rocks, that tank has sweet dimensions and I like everything else.

BTW - I just started playing Fallout 3... a bit late to the game I know, but so far so good. Gameplay is a bit week but the world is really cool.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
VaultBoy
Planted Tank Obsessed

i like the rocks less and less the more i look at them but i cant take them out because they are holding the driftwood down.... its still floating after 5 months under water

I love the dimensions of the tank but im a bit stuck for ideas how to scape it given my total lack of imagination and creativity coupled with a limited variety of plants available to me here is Oz. I am considering going a bit dutch and clearing out most of the hard scape but i cant be bothered trimming that many stems.

Anybody got any ideas for scaping a corner tank? I plan on going to a pressurized Co2 (DIY using a "Soda Stream" drink carbonating system, because we cant buy paintball tanks without a firearms licence here) system in the near future and increasing the light to 4 * 18W ODNO T8 fluro so i should be able to grow just about any plants... then i will need to start dosing dry ferts instead of relying on flourish and MTS substrate.

Any help appreciated.
Jack
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
Chaos_Being
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice Macrobrachium...I had one for a short while before and that sucker was mean. It would eat anything it could get its claws on. Some of them can get pretty huge also...I saw a blue-arm one at the National Zoo in Washington DC that was lobster-sized

I'd like to have more but I think they would massacre my tank.
Chaos_Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
VaultBoy
Planted Tank Obsessed

The macros are a bit mean... they have eaten about a dozen neon tetras, so you can scratch them off of the species list