warning for osmocote peoples
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

warning for osmocote peoples

becareful when you use osmocote, make sure that its deep into the soil, some of mine cameup and i could see them siting on the substrate and it caused my ammonia to hit 8.0 or higher and nitrate were at 200ppm range. i lost 3 of my fishes.

i thought i share this information with everyone.
happi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

True story. I had some issues in my 10g with Osmocote (not buried deep enough), sand, and trumpet snails.

But...I've never tested anything as extreme as you. Are you sure there weren't other factors? Is this a new tank?

Still love the stuff though. I put it below 1" of peat and 2" of Flourite in my 40g and it is working out great. Shrimp and otos happy, healthy.
Hyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
True story. I had some issues in my 10g with Osmocote (not buried deep enough), sand, and trumpet snails.

But...I've never tested anything as extreme as you. Are you sure there weren't other factors? Is this a new tank?

Still love the stuff though. I put it below 1" of peat and 2" of Flourite in my 40g and it is working out great. Shrimp and otos happy, healthy.

maybe i added too much of the osmocote. the tank has been set up for more than 1 year and i think i have enough bacteria in the filters. some of the plants looks burnt, i think due to high ammonia.

is there anything else i could do to remove the ammonia at faster rate.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
is there anything else i could do to remove the ammonia at faster rate.
water change.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

How much osmocote did you add, and did you use osmocote or osmocote plus?

I ask, because osmocote plus in moderation should not cause problems. I have tested RootMedic which is nearly identical with a longer lasting membrane at ridiculously high levels and never had spikes that high.

If you did not use osmocote plus, it is much higher in total amounts of ammonium.

If your test kit is not calibrated, the readings you've provided mean little, though. These are extreme ends of the tests that are far from accurate.

I would investigate further and do many water changes.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you talking about in addition to water changes?

If so, some products claim to "detoxify". I use Seachem Prime as my water conditioner. A little bit goes a long ways, which is nice. On the bottle it reads:
Prime removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter... Prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.

I would not use this product in place of water changes, but rather in addition to.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
happi
Planted Tank Guru

it was still showing high even after changing 60% of the water, it cant be either ro/tap water because i used the same water for my nano tank and the results were good on that tank.

could it be some rotted plants? could it be filter hoses which you can see the algae on them inside? rex style co2 reactor which also might be filled with some algae?

i use stress coat as my water conditioner and i don't use carbon or anything else.

i use osmocote plus, i just went to petsmart and they used those API sample for nitrate and ammonia and the sample was green, above 8.0.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rotting plants and algae is not your issue. At this point I'm picturing you taking off the cap and pouring Osmocote in the tank.

Hopefully you have taken out all fish or shrimp by now. Remove Osmocote then do as many water changes as necessary...
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

I have some osmocote plus in the house. I am going to put some in a glass and measure the water tomorrow. I am intrigued.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I have some osmocote plus in the house. I am going to put some in a glass and measure the water tomorrow. I am intrigued.
So am I, actually. Please post your results (and be as specific as possible with amount added and water volume)
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
happi
Planted Tank Guru

that would be nice if you could get the test results. can you try 2 tests, one without breaking the osmocote balls and then try one with crushing the osmocote balls. i wonder how much of difference it would make.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
that would be nice if you could get the test results. can you try 2 tests, one without breaking the osmocote balls and then try one with crushing the osmocote balls. i wonder how much of difference it would make.
A huge difference. Crushing the balls immediately releases all the the contents which will then dissolve very quickly. Perhaps this was your problem?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

I'll restart the test with three glasses. One with them crushed, one without and one glass of water. I've got a bunch of water bottles around here that I recycle. I'll use them. I'll take pictures later after I set it up. Sound good? I'll also use the same amount of omoscote pellet ball thingies. High tech terminology.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
A huge difference. Crushing the balls immediately releases all the the contents which will then dissolve very quickly. Perhaps this was your problem?
no i did not crush them to use them in my tank. my friend keep them in his filter and there is no problem in the water, however he does not crush them. slow release of nutrients in the water and his tank is low light no co2, its working fine for him.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I'll restart the test with three glasses. One with them crushed, one without and one glass of water. I've got a bunch of water bottles around here that I recycle. I'll use them. I'll take pictures later after I set it up. Sound good? I'll also use the same amount of omoscote pellet ball thingies. High tech terminology.

thanks

not sure how much of amount you will be adding to the water though. maybe 1 tsp of osmocote per 1 gallon of water.