Fluval Flora- many questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Fluval Flora- many questions

Ok, I'm pretty sure that this should go here.

Hi all, getting a fluval ebi/flora for the holidays. I'm still undecided but I'm leaning towards the flora because of the c02 system (if it's cheap enough though I might go with the ebi and just buy the c02 system seperate) and I have a lot of questions. This isn't my first planted tank, but it's definitely my first with c02, so anyone who's had an ebi/flora could help me out on this:

Inhabitants: bumble bee shrimp, (crystal black shrimp) I found a really good deal from a lfs and love the look of them. Can someone link me to a good care article? I know I want pH of 6.5, temp of 73, no nitrates, etc. but not much else about the actual shrimp. I have a 10 gallon planted that's booming with cherries, but I know bees are very delicate.

Plants: For certain, all I know is that I'm going for a dwarf hairgrass carpet. I really like the look of it. And want to add small rocks to give it a mountainous quality. I also want to add some downoi if I can find it anywhere, it's really pretty but it might not work in the tank. If I keep the stratum, lighting, etc. that comes with the tank, will it support plant growth for dwarf hairgrass and maybe downoi hopefully?
The picture below is my absolute most optimistic outlook; often my aquascapes change completely depending on the rocks I find. I don't assume it'll look that good but it's basically the effect I want my dwarf hairgrass to have.

Substrate: I want the ebi stratum for it's ability to lower the pH into the 6.5 range and because everyone who's used it says it supercharges shrimps. However, is it easy to plant in this substrate? I want a dwarf hairgrass cover. The flora stratum is on par with that of ADA aquasoil, so I might use it instead of the ebi substrate or just mix them together.

C02: I'm pretty sure I read that I should set the c02 to one bubble every two seconds and that I'll have to switch out the disposable c02 canister for a paintball one because they're supposed to only last a week each Is that a good bps rate?

How's the light for the ebi? It's 13 watts for an 8 gallon so I think it can support hairgrass but maybe not downoi.

Thanks a lot, any info at all on bumble bee shrimp or the ebi/flora will be GREATLY appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank design flora.png
Views:	50
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	25528  

Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Im waiting to get my ebi. Since this is a totally new product there is almost no one that has tested this product my suggestions is you share your experience with us. As far as substrate and lighting is concerned, It appears it will be able to grow hair grass maybe you can keep downoi alive but not have it thrive and reproduce fast, just keep it alive. The fluval ebi/flora appears to be similar to the dennerle nano cube. The nano cube is only available in europe, but it uses 13 watts of pc lighting ( I think ). Seems like the reflector is pretty efficient. Ill post mine and my experience with it when I get it and set it up.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Marimoball, I'll definitely post a journal when I get mine set up. Really exciting product, I love the idea of an all in one planted tank. The only thing I'm worried about is taking care of the shrimp and the dwarf hairgrass rooting in the ebi substrate. What are you planning to stock yours with?
I'd love to use downoi, it's a favorite of mine, I might just try it (if I can even find it at a lfs) and see how it works.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
sandie

Best of luck to you. I'm getting one and am very excited.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

Senior Shrimpo, Welcome to the forum!
If you want more info on crystal black shrimp look in the shrimp section of this forum,
If you look on the top of the page there is a sticky with lots of good info on
how to take care of CRS/CBS.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
majerah1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I am trying to talk family into getting me the ebi as well.This will be my first shrimp tank so i am looking forward to it.Ill be checking for your journal,Senior Shrimpo.
majerah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I'm definitely getting the ebi now as the flora c02 system is reported to only last a week before you need a c02 refill. I'll pass on that. I did a test on my 10 gallon and it said my water was very alkaline (around 7.8) I'm hoping the ebi stratum will correct it into the 6.0-6.8 range but if not I'll use pH down.

Last edited by Senior Shrimpo; 12-05-2010 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: Misread the pH reading
Old 12-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

I would strongly suggest not use ph down to lower your ph.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm yeah I did some more research and don't think I'll be using ph down...

But is bio-spira a good product for quicker cycling? I don't know how long I'll be able to resist getting those bees but I know that two weeks will be pushing it. I'll be using one blue pearl that somehow got mixed into a bag of amanos (certainly don't want it in my red cherry tank) He's just got so much personality, easily the liveliest shrimp in my tank, that I had to find somewhere for him; doubt he'll put a lot of ammonia in the tank but still.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
SearunSimpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

K, I own the Fluval Stratum, and to be honest, after reading the bags and this and that, I'm almost certain it's pretty much the same stuff as the fluval Ebi stratum stuff.

Observations:
-it does lower pH pretty quick, and then it keeps it fairly stable.
-It is cloudy as hell out of the bag. Rinse it like crazy (don't do it vigorously, but rather, gentle and thoroughly, or else you'll crush the little spheres causing more dust).
-This substrate is super light. I have never use ADA so I have no idea in comparison, but any larger plants will need to be planted fairly deep to stop it from floating back to the surface. Hairgrass and the sort should plant fairly easily, granted you're using tweezers.
-Nice to look at
-Expensive, maybe wait a bit for it to come down?

Over all, I am very pleased with it though.

In regards to the Fluval Flora kits, the Co2 Diffuser is soooo impractical. To be honest, they should have sold the kit with the smaller diffuser that is sold with the bigger Co2 kit. They sorta dropped the ball on this: Selling a nano tank with a bell-on-bell style diffuser (stacked), and then sold the Larger Co2 kit seperately with a smaller disk style diffuser. Shoulda been the other way, but whatevs. Just swap it out for a disk style.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
SearunSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks a lot searunsimpson, I'm glad it keeps pH stable because without it I wouldn't really have a way to keep the little shrimpers.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #12
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

one of the best shrimp sites i've found if not the best

http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_species.html

also shrimpnow.com also has a nice forum with lots of helpful members willing to help.

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks !shadow!, I checked it out and I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to keep them alive now.
It dawned on me: anyone thought of using the rock background to start a moss wall? I have some christmas moss growing and the shrimp would like it. Think it might clash with the feel of the aquarium?