What To Do. What To Do...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Arrow

What To Do. What To Do...

Hello fellow geeks! (Ware the title with pride...)

I have had a 2.5g AGA tank up since the summer, but since the death of my 2+ year old betta, I have an empty tank sitting around. Blasphemy in my opinion! I have just about everything I need to set this baby up, but I am not sure what to do with it. I have some ideas, but I want something unique. Paludarium? Terrarium? Emersed setup? Stem plant setup? Those are my ideas so far. I would "like" to keep this setuo on a smaller budget as possible, but if I get a good idea, it doesn't really matter! Here is a quick list of what I have.

Tank: 2.5g AGA w/black trim
Stand: Shelf at end of my bed
Filteration: Tom Aquarium Products Internal (45GPH max, spraybar or norm. out flow)
Substrate: Pool filter sand, gravel
Lighting: Target desk lamp w/13w CFL (white reflector, circular)
Decor': Some Driftwood, granite river stones

So, hit me with your best ideas! And Thanks for reading!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Gargoyle gecko vivarium.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

shrimp tank? l mean think of it during the long run you'll have a money multiplier.

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Paludarium with shrimps sounds pretty cool and/or assassin snails. Either way, they'll be good money in the long run.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
Cuchulainn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sounds like a fun tank! Because of its size, personally I would put it beside my bed. At the foot of the bed would seem so far away, I'd have to strain my eyes to see it well enough. It may even suffice to replace your bedside light so you could read by it, and falling asleep staring at it on those restless nights would be nice.
Some cool looking shrimp, a couple snails, moss and driftwood you'd have a pretty swEEt setup!
I have a little 5 gallon setup similarly, and love it. My favorite out of all my tanks-flurry of activity
Gl~
Cuchulainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
Gargoyle gecko vivarium.
I would like to so bad... But the parents have banned herps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
shrimp tank? l mean think of it during the long run you'll have a money multiplier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Paludarium with shrimps sounds pretty cool and/or assassin snails. Either way, they'll be good money in the long run.

I really like both of the shrimp tank ideas. The only problem with making a paludarium is that I would be afraid of the shrimp dying if they went onto the land portion. I think a high-tech setup with stems and shrimp would be my best bet. I would neet to upgrade my lighting and get a small CO2 setup. Any ideas for shrimp (Cherrys?) and CO2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
Sounds like a fun tank! Because of its size, personally I would put it beside my bed. At the foot of the bed would seem so far away, I'd have to strain my eyes to see it well enough. It may even suffice to replace your bedside light so you could read by it, and falling asleep staring at it on those restless nights would be nice.
Some cool looking shrimp, a couple snails, moss and driftwood you'd have a pretty swEEt setup!
I have a little 5 gallon setup similarly, and love it. My favorite out of all my tanks-flurry of activity
Gl~

The problem with putting the tank at the side of my bed is that the space is taken up by my 40g... Thanks for the idea though! Thanks for brining up moss. I hadn't thought of making a moss 'scape.

Thanks for the comments guys! Keep 'em coming! (and stem, CO2 setup ideas...)
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

How about this.... ADA Soil, DSM HC (+ stems) Iwagumi? Oh, and shrimps of course!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

So all in all it would look like this:

Tank: AGA 2.5g (until I get a rimless in the far future)
Lighting: Desk lamp w/13w CFL (Hampton Bay 27w desk lamp in the future)
Substrate: ADA Amazonia I
Plants: HC, some sort of stem(?)
Filteration: Tom Aquarium internal filter (Art Deco in future)
CO2: Seachem Excel
Fauna: CRS's
Hardscape: Manzanita - Unless I find some good rocks

Sound good?
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 AM   #9
gregpxc
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Why don't you DIY rimless? A tank that small could easily support itself without a rim. Might be worth it.
gregpxc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5g, aga, ideas, paludarium, terrarium