Best way to get rid of snails?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
CatherineMPLS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Best way to get rid of snails?

So, I've had my tank set up for over a month. A couple weeks ago, I noticed a snail in the tank and removed it right away; found a couple more and did the same thing.

Now, I have a bunch of little snails in my tank!

I've been removing and/or crushing them (depending on their size) as I find them... but it's starting to seem like a never-ending battle.

Should I keep at what I'm doing, or chemicals, or...??

There seem to be a lot of different methods suggested online - I'm just not sure which is the best.
Thanks!!

5 Gallon tank with a betta, amano shrimps, and of course some plants.
CatherineMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

For a 5g tank, a single assassin snail should do the trick. Two if you're in a hurry.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
EntoCraig
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

So many ways. Assassins, smashing, less feeding, traps, etc. etc. etc.

EntoCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
chris.rivera3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (134/100%)

+2 on assassin snails....they won't reproduce...1 will be plenty for a 5 gallon tank...and they look super cool....black and yellow stripes
chris.rivera3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Assassins work, but then you will need to feed them after snails are gone. Over feeding is what causes snails populations to explode. Slow down your feeding, and remove them on sight, and they will go away.
Nue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
MrMoneybags
Planted Tank Obsessed

and dont use chems on your tank...it will kill your shrimp

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
MrMoneybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

I heard that H202 will kill snails if dosed on the whole tank. i don't know if this will affect shrimp, something you can look into.
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
Cuchulainn
Planted Tank Obsessed

you can just grab a leafy vegetable from your fridge like lettuce, bok choy e.t.c. leave in on the substrate overnight then carefully lift it out give it a shake and knock em off the leaf. Do this for a few days U should be pretty much snail free. Use a fresh leaf every other day. My personal favorite thing to say is to buy a puffer, then U would want a snail breeding tank
Cuchulainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
I heard that H202 will kill snails if dosed on the whole tank. i don't know if this will affect shrimp, something you can look into.
This will not kill snails. But it will if you put the snails in pure 3% h202. Like a dip.
Nue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Another way is to reduce the dGH and KH to ~1-2 degrees. My infestation of MTS died-out due to this.
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #11
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

making the KH and GH that low wouldn't cause more instability with pH? sounds risky to me. unless there's amazonia aquasoil or something in there. if you have fish in there, smash the snails and see if they eat them. if thats not the option just manual removal is your best bet. don't be lazy and you'll beat them soon.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
DarkzeroZ4
Algae Grower

I have 4 assassin snails in my 25g tank. None of them ate the baby pond/trumpet snails. Put a dwarf puffer in and the snail population was obliterated. Please be advised you should only purchase a puffer if you have the appropriate tankmates.
DarkzeroZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Franzi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

+1 on the assassins. 5 in my 65g tore through pond snails of all sizes in no time. Lowering kh/gh might work on the snails since their shells won't get the needed calcium, but at the same time your plants won't be getting that calcium and other nutrients needed from the harder water.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

If you really want the snails gone you could also worm your fish with flubendazole eliminating internal parasites and every snail in your tank at the same time.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
CatherineMPLS
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the responses!!

A few more questions:
If I got an assassin snail, then what would I feed it after the unwanted snails are gone?

Do assassins just hang out on the glass or will they crawl/slime around on the substrate (eco-complete)?

Anyone have experience with assassins and amano shrimp?

My shrimp swim around pretty fast when they want to, but they're not afraid of my betta anymore (although he's never tried to eat them as far as I've seen) or even of my hands in the tank. So I guess I can't imagine them being afraid of a snail

I don't think I'm currently over feeding... but I could be
I give my betta 2-3 pellets a day (M-F) and 2 bloodworms M,W,F - he never leaves a trace of food uneaten.
And in case you're thinking it, NO - I really don't think I'm over feeding him... he's in my office at work and doesn't get fed on the weekends

I do give the amano shrimp a 1/4 of an algae wafer every once in a while -- just depends on how long their "poop vein" has been empty
But, maybe this is too much for the 4 shrimp...There has been a lot of molting going on lately.

(Side note: SUPER SCARY the first time you see a shrimp's old shell sitting on the bottom of the tank!! At least for me it was. I didn't realize it would look so... shrimp like )
CatherineMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote