Mystery Snail floating at the top D:
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
WalterMelons
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

Mystery Snail floating at the top D:

So my blue mystery snail has been floating at the top for quite a few hours now since I left for my class and hes still there in the same spot when I got home. There are a few bubbles at the opening of his shell where he comes out too. Is he dead? D:

Last edited by WalterMelons; 11-30-2010 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: typo
WalterMelons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)

do the *sniff* test..... heehee!
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
WalterMelons
Algae Grower

poor little mystery snail
I even pushed on his little door and it completely caved in

wonder why he died?
WalterMelons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Franco
Planted Tank Obsessed

It could have been old age. The size you see in the petstores are pretty much full grown. Thats why you have to get them to lay eggs, hatch the clutch, and have your tank swarming with hundreds of little snails which no one will buy from you until they are again as big as the adult you bought.
If you ever think a snail is dead, the sniff test seriously works. I swear they start stinking before they even die.
Sorry about your loss. I used to be a major snailor and loved everyone of my thousands just the same as their mommies and daddies.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Caved in? Sounds like he is relaxing. Ive had snails in-shell for a really long time and still live. Does he stink? Usually when mine die, they sink and there bodies are hanging out of shell, with riggamortis (SP?).
Nue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
boringname
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm too much of a coward for the smell test. I wait until fuzzy white stuff starts coming out of them.
boringname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

I don't think that sniff test works for everyone, well at least not for me. I bought my first mystery snail from Petsmart and it always hid in the rear of the tank, at times I thought it was dead. When I do find him a week later, he was not "active". I poke him around and he never pop his head out of his shell. So I pick it up with a tweezer and smell it, didn't smell nothing. Threw him in a less planted tank so I can observe him, and found out it doesn't move from the moment I put him in that tank. Days passed, not a single movement. I threw it out after that, no smell at all.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Nue
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
I don't think that sniff test works for everyone, well at least not for me. I bought my first mystery snail from Petsmart and it always hid in the rear of the tank, at times I thought it was dead. When I do find him a week later, he was not "active". I poke him around and he never pop his head out of his shell. So I pick it up with a tweezer and smell it, didn't smell nothing. Threw him in a less planted tank so I can observe him, and found out it doesn't move from the moment I put him in that tank. Days passed, not a single movement. I threw it out after that, no smell at all.
He could have been alive. Ive had them in go in shell with no movement for weeks. Usually due to stress.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
shane3fan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

They can stay in their shells for a long time--when they die--they stink something fierce---like bad moth balls is how I would describe it.
shane3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
He could have been alive. Ive had them in go in shell with no movement for weeks. Usually due to stress.
Couldn't imagine it would be stress. It was doing fine the first few days since I put him in there. I will always remember this because it was my first mystery snail that I bought. Could of been old age, I bought a fairly large one from Petsmart. Oh well, I did a smell test using a tweezer out of the water with it held on and there was no smell.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Nue
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
Couldn't imagine it would be stress. It was doing fine the first few days since I put him in there. I will always remember this because it was my first mystery snail that I bought. Could of been old age, I bought a fairly large one from Petsmart. Oh well, I did a smell test using a tweezer out of the water with it held on and there was no smell.
That sucks. If there was no smell, and still a body, I bet he was alive..
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
sampster5000
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I had a similar problem. Had a recent mystery snail, who was alive in the bag and for acclimation, float until I realized it was dead. I know that some snails will eat off of the top of the water but it wasnt that. It was like floating around. I had this same exact thing happen to the mystery snail I brought it directly after the dead floater. I let it float for 3 days. The day after I saw the snail crawing all over everything. Maybe some just have a really hard time acclimating? I dont know about them being very old once they are in the pet stores. My first mystery snail, from petsmart, is now 3 years old (starting from the day I got him) and my second, from petsmart, is almost 1 year old. I have a friend who has had one for many years and is now the size of a baseball. Snails are so interesting. I wish I could understand them some more.
Raok Club #43

20 Gallon Shrimp

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote