ua hua's 90 gal. High Tech. Brand new scape page 13 - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #121
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

They probably just feel more comfortable, more at home... More of their own kind hanging around.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #122
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
They probably just feel more comfortable, more at home... More of their own kind hanging around.
That's what I was thinking. I put 20 of them in the tank and I didn't see any of them for almost 2 weeks and assumed they were all dead until I put the cherries in and the next day I spotted 2 of them roaming around. So tonight I was checking in my overflow box and I saw about 5 cherries in there and after looking closer I see 5 more shrimp and they are all amanos. I have no clue how they got in there since I put s/s mesh over the overflow teeth. I also don't know how long they have been in there but I would like to know where they disappear to so that I can't see a single one for 2 weeks. Sneaky little critters.

On another note the mini pellia that I put on a branch is not looking too good. It's starting to brown in spots but hoping that it will survive. Another neat observation that I have noticed is I'm having fissidens popping up all over on my driftwood and I haven't had any fissidens in the tank for over a year and it never did good for me, as do most mosses. It's showing up on branches and rocks that I never placed it on and growing nicely. It will be cool to see it after it starts to fill in, but it still baffles me how after a year it starts to show up all over the place.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #123
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Moss spores? That's cool though.

I've heard that amano shrimp are notorious for swimming down overflows...
Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #124
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

The tank has been turning into a jungle lately as I haven't been trimming it as much as I should have been. I will be doing a major hacking in the next day or so as I didn't get a chance to do it this weekend. I will try to take a before picture to show just what I'm talking about. I have almost completely eliminated the elatine as it just becomes too much of a pain to keep up on trimming along with all the other stem plants in the tank. I may or may not try to get some monte carlo but may just wait out the true sag but it's such a slow grower.

I will have a medium flat rate box full of plants that I put up for sale but if no takers by tom. evening then they will get posted as a RAOK so be sure to keep an eye out(for those of you that participate on this forum other than trying to get a freebie).
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #125
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Well I never had a chance to take pre-trim pictures so you will just have to imagine the entire tank covered with plants except the very front section with just enough room for the fish to swim around. After the huge trim I had some problems with the L. tornado. The very top inch of each plant started to melt within a day of doing the trim. I'm not quite sure what caused it so I just trimmed off the tops of all the stems and they have recovered but don't look quite as nice as they did. Also I have noticed that the rotala macrandra has lost a lot of it's color in the last week. It was a really nice red and it has turned into a pinkish orange and the leaves kind of look variegated. I know the tank temp is about 7-8 degrees lower than it usually runs as the temps have been really cold where I live so don't know if that has anything to do with the rotala color changing or not. A few quick pictures from tonight. The A. gracilis in the back left has been hacked clear down and will be at the top in no time. The stems that I pulled out were as thick as my pinkie finger and around 24" long.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #126
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks beautiful. Ah the ammannia. My old love. They along the aromatica grew the width of pinkies.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #127
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Awesome. Send me some trimmings!

Sent from my Canon 70D
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #128
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Very nice, I wish my 90 looked half as good!
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #129
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
Looks beautiful. Ah the ammannia. My old love. They along the aromatica grew the width of pinkies.
I really do like the Ammannia, the color is a really nice orange but man do the stems get huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Awesome. Send me some trimmings!

Sent from my Canon 70D
You would end up with plantsicles if I sent out any trimmings right now. It has been in the single digits for over a week and a half now and this last weekend was -34*F with the wind chill. Not ideal for sending plants. I have a few people that were wanting some plants but I don't feel comfortable sending anything in this weather so will have to wait for awhile to send out anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Very nice, I wish my 90 looked half as good!
Thanks for the compliments but I saw some really nice shots of your 60p that looked really nice so you definitely have what it takes to make a nice tank.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #130
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post

You would end up with plantsicles if I sent out any trimmings right now. It has been in the single digits for over a week and a half now and this last weekend was -34*F with the wind chill. Not ideal for sending plants. I have a few people that were wanting some plants but I don't feel comfortable sending anything in this weather so will have to wait for awhile to send out anything.

Thanks for the compliments but I saw some really nice shots of your 60p that looked really nice so you definitely have what it takes to make a nice tank.
Brrrr that's REALLY cold! Here it's extremely cold with a daytime high of 45. Lol, that winter SoCal for ya, hehe.

Sent from my BRAIN
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #131
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

bro that is cold...

I would guess the loss of red color is due to more nitrate being available with less plant mass. im not an expert though

next time it gets all jungly make sure to snap a pic. I love seeing tanks overgrown, or grown in as I like to call it.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #132
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
bro that is cold...

I would guess the loss of red color is due to more nitrate being available with less plant mass. im not an expert though

next time it gets all jungly make sure to snap a pic. I love seeing tanks overgrown, or grown in as I like to call it.
It is cold. So cold that you don't even want to walk outside. I planned on taking a pre-trim picture but I had so much work ahead of me trimming and cleaning up the tank I didn't want to spend any time trying to snap pictures but I will try to next time I let it get out of control. The nitrate might be the issue but I try to adjust my dosing after changes in plant mass so it's hard saying. Hopefully the color will come back but as long as it's alive and growing I'm happy.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #133
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Another non picture update. Did another huge trim last night but can't take any pictures because I let my sister borrow my camera so she can decide if she wants to get a dslr. The L. tornado keeps melting on the tops for some reason. It's really weird because it grows really well and then the top inch or two will just start to turn black and rot off. I cut the stems where it starts to rot and then it will make sideshoots and grow nice for awhile then after some time in starts to do the same thing. Not sure what's going on but everything else is doing great. I want to add a few new plants but the weather needs to be a bit warmer before I feel comfortable with shipping. I'm going to get some Christmas moss and give mini pellia another shot but this time I'm not going to tie down the mini pellia and just shove it in some spots and see if that works better.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #134
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

I missed your 12-9 updated pics and man.....your plants are beautiful! I love the color. I could never get my plants to bring out the red and I tried everything so I just gave up and went with simple, low maintenance plants but you have the aquatic thumb!

PS...I am going to have plenty of Christmas moss for you!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #135
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
I missed your 12-9 updated pics and man.....your plants are beautiful! I love the color. I could never get my plants to bring out the red and I tried everything so I just gave up and went with simple, low maintenance plants but you have the aquatic thumb!

PS...I am going to have plenty of Christmas moss for you!
Thanks Mark. The L. sp. red is by far the easiest plant to get to stay red. It's red no matter what. The Rotala macrandra on the other hand is a different color every other day. It was super red when I got it from Tom and then it turns a light pinkish color then the closer to the top it gets the more red and after I trim it looks orange and the leaves look variegated. I'm no expert on how to get the colors out on plants so as long as their alive and growing I just let them do their thing and if they color up then that's a bonus. The Ammania gracillis and H. brown have a nice color also as does the L. Atlantis. Let me know when you get done with your rescape and tell me how much of the Christmas moss you have to part with. I don't need a bunch of it but would like to try it in a few spots. Hope you have a good new year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.