ua hua's 90 gal. High Tech NEW SCAPE started8-31-13(new pics) - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #91
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Is that Pogostemon erectus?
No it's P. stellatus and it has grown like crazy. I got a few huge stems from Tom and within a week they were to the top of my tank. I trimmed them down and they have shot out several side shoots. I have had this plant a few times and never seen growth like this. It must be the Aquasoil because that's the only difference.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #92
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Just a quick update. My cycle is finally complete after 3 weeks of changing 60% or more of the water every other day. That happened a lot faster than I was expecting but I did have 2 filters that I kept running while I did my rescape to keep the bacteria alive so I believe that played a big role in jump starting the cycle along with the massive water changes every other day.

I was having a issue with GDA forming on the glass as fast as a day or two after I would wipe it clean. Yesterday afternoon it was covering about 2/3 of the glass with a light green dust. By last night I noticed it was starting to disappear a little and by today when I got home I couldn't believe what I saw it was completely gone. Not even a light little dusting of green, but perfectly crystal clear glass. Now I have battled GDA a few times in my tanks over the last 7-8 years and never understood why it appeared or what to change to get rid of it. The couple of times I had it before it was not that bad but I also had a few bristlenose plecos in the tank also but I have no fish in the tank right now. The only thing is some snails that managed to hitch a ride into the tank. I have no idea what changed in my tank in the matter of 24-36 hrs. but whatever it was I wish I knew. All I know is I hope it stays away for good now as that was the only issue with algae that I was having since I did my rescape.

I wish I would have taken some pictures of what it looked like yesterday and then what it looks like now. If I wouldn't have seen it in my own tank then I wouldn't believe it had happened. I will be putting in about 20 Amano shrimp and 10 otos in the tank sometime next week that I ordered from Rachel. After that I will probably wait another week before putting the rummynose back into the tank. Then no more fish until the first part of October when I will be getting some Apisto panduro or nijsseni(I'm actually leaning towards the nijsseni now) and about 10 blue emperor tetras.

Another Hobby gave me some good tips on taking pictures of my tank and after messing around for awhile I still have problems getting a decent shot. I will keep trying to learn how to take a nice picture and if not then more crappy, bright, and over saturated shots will have to do.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #93
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
First off, cool tank! I think it's really going to look excellent as it fills in. With regards to your photos, I can give you a few tips. The first thing I'll say is that you either pushed saturation in your most recent photos, or you are doing it in camera. Either way, I'd avoid that, as it makes the tank look unnatural. You lost tons of detail in your greens and the reds look off.

For taking photos of a tank, here is a list of tips off the top of my head:
  • Use a tripod and a remote shutter release or a timer, it makes a big difference
  • Use the lowest ISO you can get away with (this is why the tripod is needed)
  • Use the highest aperture (f-stop) you can get away with (also why the tripod is needed)
  • Turn off your pump about a minute before you shoot, and let the water stop moving the plants
  • Shoot in RAW, or set things such as vivid to neutral or 0
  • The closer you are to straight on square with the front of your tank (left to right and top to bottom), the sharper
  • Play around with zoom and the distance your camera is from the tank.
A low aperture number will give you less objects in focus. If you can shoot at at least f-8 and ISO 100-400 on a tripod, that will go a long way. The only thing that may get motion blur is your fish, as long as your turn off your pump.

Shooting straight on makes a very big difference. As you get off center, the water distorts things and causes chromatic aberration and less focus. Shoot square to the glass, and things will be much sharper. I know this limits your options with shooting angles, but the more off square you are the less sharp your pic will be.

With regards to distance, I tend to shoot about 4' from my tank and zoom in a little. But try shooting closer with a wider angle, or a little further way and zoomed in more. You'll get a different feel from each one.

Rather than just snapping a pic, play around for a half hour and test out different settings. Compare them and see what you like.
Great tips, I'll add two more:

Shoot in Manual Exposure mode so you don't have to rely on your camera's metering. Set the aperture to either f/8 or f/11 then play with different shutter speeds until you get a nice result.

If your camera has an "Exposure Delay Mode" this can help minimize vibration and give you sharper long exposure photos.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #94
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Great tips, I'll add two more:

Shoot in Manual Exposure mode so you don't have to rely on your camera's metering. Set the aperture to either f/8 or f/11 then play with different shutter speeds until you get a nice result.

If your camera has an "Exposure Delay Mode" this can help minimize vibration and give you sharper long exposure photos.
Thanks for the tips. I will try to find time to mess around with the different settings and see if I can get a clean shot.

As far as the tank goes everything is growing really well. I got 2 huge stems of P. stellatus from Tom when I redid the tank and after a little over 3 weeks I have over a dozen + stems and it puts out sideshoots daily. I took a huge portion of elatine out as it was completely filling in my foreground and covering up my "true" sagitaria sublata. That weed grows so fast it can be a pain to keep up on but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it all as the color is really nice. Maybe after the sagitaria fills in more I may phase out more of it.

My 20 amano shrimp and otos will be here tom. that I ordered from Rachel. I'm excited to get some life into the tank but will probably wait until the end of next week to put the rummies back in. I also put some rotala macrandra in the tank yesterday. That plant has always been a pain for me for some reason. I always attributed that to my really high kH that I had in my tank before the use of Aquasoil bringing it way down to the point that I think it should be. The L. red has been growing really nice but finally just now started putting out sideshoots. All the other stems I have trimmed a few times but I only had 2 stems of the L. red that didn't melt so I wanted to make sure that it was growing really well before trimming it up.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #95
WendyF
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very beautiful aquarium. I have really enjoyed this thread! In the first set of pics you posted, the bottom pic is a close up of a green lacey looking stem plant. I collected something from a local lake that looks just like it - what is yours called?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #96
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyF View Post
Very beautiful aquarium. I have really enjoyed this thread! In the first set of pics you posted, the bottom pic is a close up of a green lacey looking stem plant. I collected something from a local lake that looks just like it - what is yours called?
Thank you. If your talking about the last picture in my first post, that is myriophyllum mattogrossense.

I added the 20 amanos and otos today that I got from Rachel and I have to say I was very pleased with the quality of the fish/shrimp and the packaging was top notch. I will be buying from her again next time I need some fish that she stocks. It's nice to see some life in the tank after being lifeless other than the snails for a month now.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #97
zetvi
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice tank sir! Please post your dosing routine and what you dose.
Details in micro and macro will be appreciated
zetvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #98
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetvi View Post
Very nice tank sir! Please post your dosing routine and what you dose.
Details in micro and macro will be appreciated
Thank you. I dose 1 tsp KNO3, 1/2 tsp KH2PO4, 2x a week and traces every other day(CSM+B and Fe), Excel daily and CaSO4 and MgSO4 at water change. I have been dosing a little leaner recently since I just rescaped the tank using Aquasoil and it has plenty of nutrients. The CO2 is around 1-1.5 ml per second using a inverted cylinder to measure it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #99
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

One month update:

Everything has been growing really well. I got rid of a big portion of the elatine and pretty much started the carpet over from a few little pieces. After awhile the et grows so thick even after heavy pruning that it's just easier to pull up the entire carpet and trim some stems off and start new.

I lost about 5 of the 20 amanos which is less than I was expecting as I have never had the best of luck with shrimp before but the survivors are doing great along with the 10 otos. I will be putting the rummies back in some time this week. I have a little bit of a snail problem that will be taken care of in the next week after some assassins go to work. They should be well fed that's for sure.

After messing around with my camera for quite some time I still can't get a good shot but I haven't gave up yet so these below average pictures will have to do for now. Don't mind my makeshift shrimp/oto guard on my overflow box but I got tired of pulling them out on a daily basis so until my stainless steel mesh gets here later this week that is keeping them out.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #100
trailsnale
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

hi ua hua,

new scape looks great!!!

unless i've misunderstood something, you refer to using excel and co2 (?), i thought they were mutually exclusive in use....either or.

what is the rationale here?

thanks,

ps looking forward to your blue tetras!
trailsnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #101
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsnale View Post
hi ua hua,

new scape looks great!!!

unless i've misunderstood something, you refer to using excel and co2 (?), i thought they were mutually exclusive in use....either or.

thanks,

They are not mutually exclusive I use both. I find excel very useful for spot treating algae.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #102
trailsnale
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
They are not mutually exclusive I use both. I find excel very useful for spot treating algae.
thank you, had no idea. (i currently 'practice' on 2 40b's using ei/excel. my new tank is due shortly and co2 system/reactor sit on the basement floor...waiting-so new to the co2 game!)
trailsnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #103
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsnale View Post
hi ua hua,

new scape looks great!!!

thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
This is exactly why I use it in conjunction with CO2.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #104
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

A quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_DxC...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #105
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beautiful! What's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post