ua hua's 90 gal. High Tech NEW SCAPE started8-31-13(new pics) - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #46
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Nice work, Ua Hua! It will look fantastic once it's filled in, without a doubt!

Sorry....where did you get the new regulator from, out of curiosity? GLA?

+1 to Frank.....the stand and the "enclosure" are truly a highlight of the tank. It really adds to the set up and it looks terrific!
Thanks Don. It can't fill in fast enough. I'm really liking the Rotala mexicana sp. Araguaia a lot. Hoping it fills in the right rear corner along with the Ludwigia sp. cuba.

The regulator is a brand new HPT-500 from that auction site. I looked for months before I found what I wanted at a decent price. It was a little pricey but it's new and don't have to worry about getting a dud. The rest of my fittings will be here some time next week so I can start putting it together. I got a 2" 6061 aluminum alloy cga 320 nipple because I couldn't find a 2" one from anywhere except from Victor. I may just end up getting a stainless steel 3" one from J&R even though those run about $60 for the nipple, nut, and in port filter. The aluminum nipple just feels cheap compared to the all the other parts being stainless steel. A word of advice to those wanting to build your own regulator. While it may be true that you can build your own for cheaper than you could buy one from the members here that build them. I must say that it's not a whole lot cheaper than these guys sell them for. It takes hours and hours of searching the internet and finding all the right parts can be a pain. I will have around $260 in this unit and countless hours of my time looking for parts. So to those that aren't looking for the learning experience of building a regulator(that is the only reason I didn't buy one from a member here) I suggest you purchase a high quality unit that Oldpunk or Bettatail builds. The price they sell these units for is very fair as far as I'm concerned because I know now how much time and effort go into getting everything you need for one. If it wasn't for those two members answering my numerous questions I wouldn't have even attempted this even though I built my current regulator setup, but this new one is all high quality parts and all new to me. So a big thanks to Oldpunk and Bettatail for being very helpful members to this community. Hopefully by next week I will be sporting a very shiny new regulator that will last a lifetime.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #47
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

I added 50 more rummynose tetras on Friday and all look great and have only lost 1 so far. I don't plan on adding to many more fish but do want to add some cories after the carpet plants have completely filled in. I'm having a hard time deciding between gold laser cories and Corydoras aldolfoi. I have had aldolfoi's before and really like them but I don't see them for sale where I live very often. I may regret trying to add cories to a tank that I want to have a carpet in but will just have to see.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #48
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

As long as its taken root already shouldnt be a problem. What plant are you going to use? HC might have a little trouble with them but I think of cories more as grazers than diggers like loaches are fond of doing. That said I had MM with C. melanistius and Y. sidthmunki without any trouble.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #49
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
As long as its taken root already shouldnt be a problem. What plant are you going to use? HC might have a little trouble with them but I think of cories more as grazers than diggers like loaches are fond of doing. That said I had MM with C. melanistius and Y. sidthmunki without any trouble.
I have elatine triandra and dhg belem right now. The roselines won't leave the dhg belem alone. I watch them as they pull on the blades of grass and then suck the roots off. It reminds me of my koi in my pond the way the eat on the roots. I was hoping it would take root and spread fast enough that it wouldn't matter if they pulled some up but I don't see that happening. I may try something else in its place or just let the elatine triandra fill in that side also. The elatine would have already covered that side of the tank if I would have let it. I have been trimming that stuff pretty hard and tossing out loads of it. There is also some Hygrophilia sp. 'Araguaia' in the front on both sides but it's hard to see in the pictures. The roselines seem to like that plant also, as I planted a lot of that and they managed to pull most of it out before it had a chance to take root but a handful of plants managed to take root and now they don't bother it. As far as marsilea minuta goes I had that in the tank before and that stuff is a weed once it gets established. I had that stuff cover the entire footprint of the tank and was choking out everything in its path. Nice plant just wanted something different this time.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #50
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Its been awhile since I've updated anything on my journal so here's whats new. I finally got my new regulator all put together and tested. It was about a 4 month process as I have been really busy the last few months and I ordered the wrong power supply and I finally found one from Hong Kong and it took almost 2 months to get here. So here's some pictures of the new regulator that was built with the helpful advice of Bettatail and Oldpunk. Also a few crappy pictures of the tank in its current state. I really suck at taking pictures and some day will learn how to take a decent picture of my tank but until then these will have to do.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #51
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (135/100%)
Default Re: ua hua's 90 gal. New pics of progress 5/8/13

Looks dramatic, love the colors.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #52
vbaykut
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tanks colors scheme is very good and fish suits very well.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #53
Jiinx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

The rummies look great with your scape!
Jiinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #54
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Looks dramatic, love the colors.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Thank you Oleg, the roselines like the taste of the Hygro brown that I got from you as they have with several other plants. I woke up the morning after planting them and several stems had little bites taken out of the leaves, and after watching when the lights went out I caught them munching on it. I wasn't sure if it was them or the rummies as they have both been caught munching on plants that I have put in the tank. At least they get a well balanced diet, I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the plants that I purchased. Hopefully they got full and will leave it alone long enough to grow like the Hygros do then I will be all good. They must like the taste of hygro species that aren't green as they did the same thing to all my Hygro 'Araguia'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbaykut View Post
Tanks colors scheme is very good and fish suits very well.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiinx View Post
The rummies look great with your scape!
Thanks. The rummies are a great schooling fish although they like to munch on some types of plants. The fish will not change in this tank so I will have to plant accordingly.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #55
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (107/100%)

looking good man... that reg is sweet lookin... i love rummies but i like my plants more lol... i have to tell my wife "no" every time she mentions rummies
Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #56
manzpants92
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great set up! You don't see many tanks with the denisonii's because they need such a big tank but they are definitely my favorite fish. Can't wait to see things progress
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #57
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb1987 View Post
looking good man... that reg is sweet lookin... i love rummies but i like my plants more lol... i have to tell my wife "no" every time she mentions rummies
I have to agree with the rummies not being the best choice in planted tanks as they love themselves some plants. I have been having problems with them and the roselines munching on the new growth of certain stem plants. They have taken bites out of the new leaves of L. repens x arcuata, Hygrophilia brown, L. gigantea, and L. sp. red. It was really starting to get frustrating to the point last week I talked to the owner of my LFS to see if he would be interested in taking the roselines and rummies in on trade but thought I would give them one more chance and try to add more greens to their diet to see if they will leave the new growth on the stems alone. I have been feeding them a piece of zucchini and a piece of spinach every night. By morning both pieces are almost entirely gone. I will try this for the next week or so and see how the new growth looks. If not I will be seeking out new stocking ideas for the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manzpants92 View Post
Great set up! You don't see many tanks with the denisonii's because they need such a big tank but they are definitely my favorite fish. Can't wait to see things progress
Thanks, I really love the roselines also but if they can't stop taking bites out of my stem plants they will be looking for a new home.

Now for a little update.

After a long weekend of cleaning my pond (pictures to come some time this week) and doing a long overdue project of painting the floor in the garage, adding new shelving and reorganizing all my crap in there, I managed to add some new plants to the tank late last night. I had to make the wife happy and finish all my honey do's before I could even think about working on the tank so needless to say it was a late night last night.

I added several different kinds of moss. Mini christmas moss, mini pellia, flame moss, fissidens tied to several rocks and a few pieces of wood. I also added L. arcuata, H. araguaia, and replaced the whole right side of my foreground with L. nova mini. I really like the elatine triandra but it grows like wild fire and want something that doesn't take so much maintenance. The et needs to be trimmed all the time or it piles on top of itself then starts to uproot. I may be replacing the rest of the et with monte carlo in the future.

I also changed my diffusion method, instead of running co2 using the dual venturi method through my reactor I decided to just run it into my needle wheel pump then use the reactor as a bubble collector after the needle wheel pump. I will see how this works for a few weeks but I have to admit after seeing it run this way for almost 24 hrs. the pearling is way more than I was seeing running it the other way.

Well that about sums up whats new with the tank and I will end with some more of my awesome photography skills as represented by these pictures.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #58
snausage
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

That's going to be a really stunning tank once it grows in a bit!!!
snausage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #59
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Rotala mexicana sp. Araguaia =??? Is it gone or still there? Add a few more lights and make that the carpet for the tank!!!

Is it possible that the rummies/Roselines are simply going through a "phase" similar to what my Rainbow cichlids when through? They ate and destroyed particular plants for about 2-3 months, and then were fine. No additional supplementation was provided, and i was even able to add in the exact same plants again without any nibbling and such. My guess would be "no," but it might be worth researching a little bit.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #60
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Looking Nice!

Have you tried offering Seaweed Sheets to your fish?

http://www.sfbb.com/Seaweed-Salad™-Green_46.php

I cut a 2" x4" pc. and place a vinyl coated paper clip on one end then stick the paper clip into the substrate. In seconds my Cherry Bartbs and SAE are on it with the Amano shrimp going at the scraps.

And my Orandas love the stuff

Last edited by DogFish; 06-04-2013 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: sp
DogFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.