ua hua's 90 gal. High Tech. Brand new scape page 13 - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #151
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Tuesday morning I woke up and checked on my tank as I always do. I looked under the stand and noticed a little puddle of water and couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. After taking out everything from under the stand I narrowed it down to my Eheim filter. I couldn't see any leaks from around the pump head and filter housing but after a closer look I could see a small dribble from the pump head where the power cord comes out. I had an extra o-ring for the pump head and filter housing and replaced it. I also put my canister filter in a plastic tub just in case the leak was still happening. I didn't see any more water dripping so I thought the leak was fixed.

Well tonight after doing my weekly maintenance I saw that the little channel where the power cord comes out had water in it again. It was a little baffling to see it was still leaking even after putting on a new o-ring so I decided to do a little searching and found that this is a common problem where the primer o-ring goes bad. The only problem now is that Eheim doesn't make a replacement o-ring for the primer button. They want you to buy a whole new pump head. I was about ready to put this filter to bed as I have had it for awhile and already have a wet/dry on the tank also. The plan has been to replace my current sump and Eheim 2126 with a bigger sump sometime in the future (which may have come sooner than planned).

So with a little more browsing I find this link from the NJAGC that shows step by step instructions with how to replace the o-ring and where to get it from. I ordered the parts needed and will see how this works when I receive them. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this using the Eheim Pro II models but if you have I would like to hear.

Even if this does fix the problem I at least have an excuse to get the ball rolling on the new sump setup.

http://www.njagc.net/wp/filtration-e...eries-filters/
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #152
Jalopy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

It's stuff like that that makes me wish I had a simple HOB. Tanks looks great. Love how clear the water is.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #153
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
It's stuff like that that makes me wish I had a simple HOB. Tanks looks great. Love how clear the water is.
It's frustrating when stuff like this happens but it's not the first time nor will it be the last. It has at least got me moving forward with this new sump idea.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #154
MB2
Algae Grower

Very beautiful and colorful tank, ua hua. Are those DW? They have a unique look!

Regarding filter leaks, if it was me, I would go for a bigger sump and don't have to touch the canister filter again. Life will be simpler a lot. I have a Mag 12 for my sump and do need to throttle down more than 50% as well to get the gentler flow I would like.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 AM   #155
Cardinal's Keeper
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)

Ua, I have changed that exact gasket on my thermofilter pro 2 twice over the 10+ plus years I have had it. I bought two though this last time just to have a back up, which I ended up needing as the first o-ring got pinched on the reinstall and leaked. One thing I found on the second try was that it was much easier to push the pump head out the bottom, install the o-ring and then slide back up while carefully avoiding the pinch point. Pushing it out the top and then back in made it bind and pinch the o-ring more. Use lots of gasket grease to.

Any questions feel free to hit me up.

The way the describe it in the link you posted is exactly the way that I found was best.
Cardinal's Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #156
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Very beautiful and colorful tank, ua hua. Are those DW? They have a unique look!

Regarding filter leaks, if it was me, I would go for a bigger sump and don't have to touch the canister filter again. Life will be simpler a lot. I have a Mag 12 for my sump and do need to throttle down more than 50% as well to get the gentler flow I would like.
I will definitely be getting a bigger sump and at that time I will get rid of the Eheim and my current wet/dry sump. For now I will try to make the repair on the Eheim until I decide on the final plan for the new sump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal's Keeper View Post
Ua, I have changed that exact gasket on my thermofilter pro 2 twice over the 10+ plus years I have had it. I bought two though this last time just to have a back up, which I ended up needing as the first o-ring got pinched on the reinstall and leaked. One thing I found on the second try was that it was much easier to push the pump head out the bottom, install the o-ring and then slide back up while carefully avoiding the pinch point. Pushing it out the top and then back in made it bind and pinch the o-ring more. Use lots of gasket grease to.

Any questions feel free to hit me up.

The way the describe it in the link you posted is exactly the way that I found was best.
Thanks for the tips. I should have the o-ring sometime this week and it should be a simple enough repair but if I need some help I will get in touch with you.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #157
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

I got the o-rings the other day and before doing my weekly maintenance this week I replaced the primer o-ring and a couple of other o-rings on the inside of the pump head. It works like new now and was a fairly easy repair. I'm still trying to decide on a new wet/dry filter for the tank and will replace my current wet/dry and Eheim. I was thinking about having a sump custom built but the quotes I have got are more than I'm willing to spend. So right now I'm looking at the ADHI wet/dry:

http://www.aquacave.com/ADHI-Wet-Dry...tats-P996.aspx

It's a not a cheap filter by any means but way cheaper than I have been quoted for a custom built one. I would like to hear what other brands of pre-built wet/dry or sumps others use. I have used an Eshopps and Amiracle brand filters but want something with more volume and interior room for pumps.

On another note I got some really nice Ludwigia brevipes from MB2 and I'm really liking it so far. The H. Brown was almost all but eliminated as it grows insanely fast. I still kept a few stems because the color is not like any other plant. I also planted a few stems of A. reineckii that MB2 sent. I'm hoping these plants grow well because they look really nice. If you haven't seen MB2's tank you need to take a look as its one of my top 5 tanks on this site.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=541881

I will try to get some updated pictures put up next week sometime.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #158
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

I got some new fish about a month and a half ago and tonight they got introduced into the tank. I snapped a couple of pics on my iPad. Everything is growing really well except my anubias are showing some signs of a deficiency. The new leaves are really curled. It's kind of puzzling because all the other plants are not showing any signs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	338121  

Old 06-27-2014, 04:31 AM   #159
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

It won't let me post more than one picture at a time so here's another tank shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	15
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	338129  

Old 06-27-2014, 04:46 AM   #160
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

wow you have gone through a lot with this tank.
what type of fish are those ones that kinda look like sae but have red on um?

very beautiful tank.
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 04:52 AM   #161
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

If your talking about the fish with the red noses, those are rummy nose tetras. The new fish are Madagscar rainbowfish. There is four of them for now but have plans to get at least 5-6 more. They look a lot different when they become mature. I also added another 10 orange Von rio tetras last month.

Edit: actually I just realized you were probably looking at older pictures and those fish were Roselines. They were rehomed after catching them munching on several plants. Very beautiful fish but I like my plants also.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #162
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

ok, yea I was looking at older pics. eating plants is a no-no so I guess im not going to own those in the feature. pretty fish tho.
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #163
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
I got some new fish about a month and a half ago and tonight they got introduced into the tank. I snapped a couple of pics on my iPad. Everything is growing really well except my anubias are showing some signs of a deficiency. The new leaves are really curled. It's kind of puzzling because all the other plants are not showing any signs.

Oo Madagascar rainbow fish! I had a couple before (last ones at lfs and wouldn't get any more in), the biggest one bullied the other to death so now I have a solo 5" Madagascar rainbowfish gal. I really want to get a school (8-9 minimum) of them for her, but they are usually so small when sold.. I think she could eat new/young ones now lol
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 AM   #164
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Last picture of this scape as I have plans to try something new after a year of this layout. I have new rocks and some new driftwood from Tom that I'm hoping to get sometime next week. I'm not quite sure of where this new scape will be going but I have some ideas. A year is a good run and time for a change.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	91
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	364362  

Old 09-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #165
zetvi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Keep us updated with whatever you up to ua hua, its sure been a successful tank! Very inspired and informative !
zetvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.