ua hua's 90 gal. High Tech. Brand new scape page 13 - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #136
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Its been awhile since I've updated anything on my journal so here's whats new. I finally got my new regulator all put together and tested. It was about a 4 month process as I have been really busy the last few months and I ordered the wrong power supply and I finally found one from Hong Kong and it took almost 2 months to get here. So here's some pictures of the new regulator that was built with the helpful advice of Bettatail and Oldpunk. Also a few crappy pictures of the tank in its current state. I really suck at taking pictures and some day will learn how to take a decent picture of my tank but until then these will have to do.

The part where the checkvalve is connected to is that a hose barb?
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #137
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
The part where the checkvalve is connected to is that a hose barb?
If your talking about where it connects to the elbow it's a tube adapter that reduces it to 1/8" I believe. I can't remember the part # off of the top of my head right now but I will try to see if I can find it. Try looking through this thread and it may be of some help until I can see if I can remember the part #.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-tube-fittings
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #138
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

I still haven't got my camera back from my sister so no new pictures until next week when I get it back. Everything is growing really well and some plants are almost annoying with their growth rate. I want to add some H. pinnatifida and Rotala wallichii in to the tank along with some Christmas moss. I haven't had R. wallichii in quite a few years and thought it was time to use it again.

I got rid of almost all the Elatine triandra even though I really liked the plant it became a pain to keep up on trimming. On top of that the "true" sagitaria sublata and E. tenellus red have almost completely filled in the foreground. I don't know about the tenellus either as it's sending runners all across the front of the tank and now starting to go along the sides and towards the back. I like the red color of the new growth but may end up just having the sag. for a foreground as it's a super slow grower and stays under 1 1/2". Also I have been seeing tiny tiny baby shrimp around the tank so I guess there is enough cover for them to breed and actually survive. That's it for now and will try to have some new pictures up by the middle of next week.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 01-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #139
FishStix
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
I'm not using MTS in this tank. The substrate is flourite and flourite black sand. I already had flourite in the tank but added a few more bags to get the slope in the back. I have some smaller lava rock under the base of the substrate that has been in there since I set this tank up several years ago. I have several different types of root tabs so should be good to go for a few months. I lost all of my two favorite plants while redoing this tank. All my elatine triandra and bylxa aubertii melted away to mush while in the holding tank. I also forgot to cover up the 5 gal bucket of anubias nana barteri that I was going to RAOK on here but all the leaves dried up and the by the next day when I noticed it was too late. I have some more plants to purchase and plant then I will post some pictures. The tank is still a little cloudy but I really am liking the new layout. Now just to finish planting and wait for it to grow in.
Looks great, are you still using the fluorite and fluorite black sand? I am thinking of just going with the fluorite black sand for my new tank.

Thanks
FishStix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #140
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
Looks great, are you still using the fluorite and fluorite black sand? I am thinking of just going with the fluorite black sand for my new tank.

Thanks
No, I'm no longer using Flourite in this tank. I switched the substrate to Aquasoil back in August.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 AM   #141
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
No, I'm no longer using Flourite in this tank. I switched the substrate to Aquasoil back in August.
Do you notice a big difference between Flourite and Aquasoil? Also, I really like the school of roselines. I was thinking of getting some but the price tag is hard to get over.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:41 AM   #142
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmustang1 View Post
Do you notice a big difference between Flourite and Aquasoil? Also, I really like the school of roselines. I was thinking of getting some but the price tag is hard to get over.
I do notice quite a bit of difference between the Flourite and Aquasoil. While it's true that you can still grow plants in Flourite if you have root tabs in the substrate. The biggest difference for me was the buffering of the Aquasoil. My kH was around 12 before Aquasoil and now it's around 5. I always had a hard time with Rotala macrandra and now it grows fine. I believe it does better in lower kH. I also find it easier to get plants to root in Aquasoil. Finer stem plants and plants that don't have a large root system always were hard to get started in Flourite.

As for the roselines, they are gone. I really did like the look of them but after awhile they acquired a taste for some of my plants. I put up with it for quite some time before they finally ate their last plant in my tank. Some plants were fine while others must have been tasty because they only ate certain stuff. I ended up selling all 8 for $30. Needless to say someone got a really good deal because I needed them gone.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 AM   #143
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

A little update on the tank. I finally got my camera back today and quickly took quite a few pictures but I can't post them right now because my laptop decided to crap out on me a week ago so right now all I have is an iPad. I have no clue how to get pictures from a sd card onto the iPad so I will have to wait until I can get to a computer and upload them to photobucket.

I added a FEW new plants to the tank yesterday. First of all I need to give a huge thank you to a friend of mine that i think is the most giving, funny, and just all around great guy Oleg(OVT). This is a person that knows the true meaning of RAOK is. Those of you that have dealt with him before I'm sure already know and those that haven't I need to tell you that this guy is an asset to this hobby. If I didn't live 2,000 miles from him I would definitely hang out with him and buy him a FEW adult beverages. And if I ever find out where he likes to go have dinner he will be getting a gift card in the mail. So with that being said Thanks again Oleg.

After adding the plants and doing weekly maintenance I noticed my hose from my overflow was dripping water on top of my sump. Apparently there is a pin hole in the hose right next to where it attaches to the sump inlet so I placed an order for a new hose and while I was ordering it I decided to get a new return pump. I was wanting to get another koralia pump to help add some flow now that its grown in fairly thick and keep the co2 flowing well but decided I didn't want another pump in the tank. So now I will be using a Mag drive 9.5 for a return pump instead of the Mag drive 7 that I'm using now. This should help out quite a bit with the flow.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 AM   #144
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Well I got my new overflow hose and pump yesterday and after my weekly maintenance today I installed the new hose and return pump. I also replaced all the return plumbing to the tank. I was not expecting the Mag 9.5 to be so much more powerful than the Mag 7 but its almost too much for my current setup. The overflow box I have is rated at 800 gph and the Mag 9.5 is rated at 740 gph at 3' of head which is where I'm at but my overflow box can't keep up. It's not that big of a deal because for now I have it throttled down with a ball valve but I have planned on replacing my sump for a bigger one in the near future so I can eliminate my Eheim Pro 2. I have been talking to some of my buddies from my days in reefing and kicking around some ideas of a design that will work for my tank. I will either try to design something myself or will have Lifereef build me something after I come up with a design that I'm happy with. I have a few ideas of what I want to do but I'm still in the planning stages. I will also be getting a new overflow box that will be able to handle the added flow. I still haven't had a chance to put any of the new pictures I took on to Photobucket yet so maybe I will get time this weekend.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #145
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Some new pictures of the tank.

Pictures from about 2 weeks ago.

And some of the tank tonight

Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #146
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Gorgeous. Splendid. Rich. Inspiring.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #147
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Wow man everything looks beautiful!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #148
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I had to come back and look again. This tank is a really great example of how to deal with plant collectoritis. You've got lots of different species in there - too many by almost anyone's advice - yet the harmony and balance in that last picture is exquisite. They work together beautifully.

I do not envy you trying to keep this balance what with CO2 and all those stem plants, but let's acknowledge this much: you have grown many different plant species - some quite difficult - into a balanced and serene scape of riveting beauty. Love the textures and colors.

It is really very Dutch, but with a spare and more open feel that gives it a more angular and less overstuffed vibe that I like.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 03-14-2014 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: ..
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #149
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Wow man everything looks beautiful!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I had to come back and look again. This tank is a really great example of how to deal with plant collectoritis. You've got lots of different species in there - too many by almost anyone's advice - yet the harmony and balance in that last picture is exquisite. They work together beautifully.

I do not envy you trying to keep this balance what with CO2 and all those stem plants, but let's acknowledge this much: you have grown many different plant species - some quite difficult - into a balanced and serene scape of riveting beauty. Love the textures and colors.

It is really very Dutch, but with a spare and more open feel that gives it a more angular and less overstuffed vibe that I like.
I appreciate your kind words but this tank and myself still have a long ways to go. While its true that I'm not fully cured of my collectoritis I have tamed it down considerably from the past. The Dutch style scapes are what drew me into this side of the hobby and I'm trying my best to create something similar. While its not a Plantbrain tank I have been happy with the results thus far. I'm still learning the trimming and shaping techniques which makes a huge difference in what a tank like this looks like. I spent the first few years in this hobby just growing plants and learning the growth rates and habits of certain types with no regards to actually aqua scaping a tank. The last few pictures I posted are after it has grown in after a week or two and I will try to post some pictures of what it looks like after I trimmed again this week. It takes a lot of work to maintain a heavily dominated stem tank and I have a whole new respect for those that create Dutch style tanks or hybrid style such as Toms tank and manage to keep them so well manicured and polished looking. Maybe I should take up Bonsai to help learn some of these techniques and styles.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:03 AM   #150
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Another little non picture update. Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself in this thread but that's ok I do that in my everyday life also. At least I'm hoping that someone that's lurking or just reading through the thread can get a little information from my rambling.

I changed my return pump to a Mag 9.5 a few weeks ago but had to throttle it back almost half way as my overflow wasn't keeping up. I thought it was strange that a pump rated at 740 gph at the head height it's running at was overpowering a overflow box that's rated at 800 gph. I was thinking of solutions so that I could run my pump without having to throttle it back. I was going to split the return to two lines(which I still may) but didn't think it would make any difference as I would still be getting the same volume of water in my tank whether it was from 1 line or 2. After doing my weekly maintenance last night and cleaning my s/s mesh that I have on the overflow box to help keep the shrimp out which it does but some still end up in the overflow box by climbing over the mesh. I decided to leave it off for awhile and run my return pump full power. It worked perfectly. The mesh was slowly down the flow quite a lot and now I have some major water movement going on throughout the entire tank. I can only hope that this added flow helps move the co2 around especially when the tank gets overgrown between heavy trimmings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.