First Planted Tank! Fluval 6G w/pictures!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
JEiffel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

First Planted Tank! Fluval 6G w/pictures!

Hey!

So quick summary!
About 2 weeks ago I noticed some really bright red cherry shrimp at the pet store, I couldn't resist. I bought two. I had always gotten ghost shrimp for my beta's 2.5g , but that's because it's all they ever had! Would you believe my surprise when I got home and found out that one of them had eggs!

After putting the two (Cherie and Peppermint) into beta-land, their lives were immediately very stressful. My beta (pirate) started nipping at them. I was not about to lose my two beautiful shrimp so I went to Walmart and picked up a temporary little cube to put the cherrys in while I figured out something else.

About a week in, the eggs hatched! What luck, right????? Now I have about 10-14 little baby shrimp and the two adults in this horribly small cube! I had to act fast. After a bit of research I decided to do something I've always been interested in...create my own planted tank! This is what I ordered off of Amazon:

- 6-gallon Fluval Edge w/ 21-LED light
- CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound substrate
- Fluval Mini Pressurized 20g-CO2 Kit
- API Leaf Zone Aquarium Plant Food
- Fluval Edge 25W Compact Heater

Everything came in today and tomorrow Ill be setting it all up!
For plants, I'm thinking some dwarf baby tears? Would that work as ground cover? I'm not sure what other plants to get, but tomorrow I'll see what they have at several different pet stores. Any suggestions?

Here are some pictures of the little ones:

This is the sad little box I placed them in for now.

This is the cube about a week after getting it (so pretty recent). I've been leaving on a very bright LED light on top of it every day to encourage algae, and as you can see, there's a LOT of it now! I know shrimp love to eat algae and it provides dissolved oxygen, so I've let it take over the cube. I hope I won't have so much in my planted tank x) (can you spot the babies??)

So! What do you guys think? Advice?

Last edited by JEiffel; 11-18-2014 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: title update
JEiffel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
DBridges
Algae Grower

I'm not sure what sort of lighting you'll get with the Edge, but I'm assuming it will be low to moderate, which isn't a bad thing. For shrimp tanks, I've always thought mosses were nice. Seems shrimp always like to hang out and graze in it. Anubias would be another good choice for a first plant. That big bag of Eco-Complete will probably be way more than you need, I'd imagine.

Cherry Shrimp breed fairly prolifically, so you'll be seeing more babies in the future, I'd imagine. Treat your shrimp tank like any other. Do water tests, water changes, and feed your shrimp. Certain blanched vegetables (cucumber, zucchini) may be eaten, but you can buy dry shrimp foods from brands like Hikari, etc.

Glad you got your shrimp away from the Betta!

David

Fluval G6 Fluval Pimp Club #046
DBridges is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
JEiffel
Algae Grower

Update!

I set up my tank!

So, I have quite a few plants in there. Some will be trial and error. I was silly and forgot to write down the names of them before I put them in. I know the little grasses are dwarf hairgrass, and on the right I have an anubias on lava rock with java moss. I'm hoping the java moss will spread onto the larger lava rock behind it.

HERE'S MY PROBLEM.
I placed 1 shrimp from my shrimp-cube into the tank yesterday and within a few hours it started turning white. I placed it back into the shrimp-cube to save its life.
How do I go about placing my shrimp into the tank without the shock killing them? (I checked the water parameters for the new tank and everything is basically perfect) However, the new tank is heated, and the shrimp-cube, was not. Also, will the guppies eat the baby shrimp if I put them in?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Shrimp like 74-76F but will tolerate 78F just fine. The Guppies will eat the baby shrimp.
DHG need either high light or med light and injected CO2. I have gotten some native hair grass to grow in a tank/w med light and Excel but it grew very slowly and worked better when I put individual pieces of Osmocote+ into the sub under it with my tweezers.
It's a great start. When the moss gets on the other rock you might want to keep it trimmed short as it will grow to be so thick it will die underneath if you don't.
You may want to investigate ferts for it. Eco provides none. But you do get some from fish food/waste. Enough for a few plants if the light is not high.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Radiation91
Algae Grower

The "sad little box" actually looked nice

As for the edge, nice scape but make sure you get a prefilter sponge to cover the intake pipe. Don't let your shrimp get sucked up there! Luckily, they're black so it will match your substrate and tank colour!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing how the scape develops in the next few months...
Radiation91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
JEiffel
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips!
I'll wait until my shrimp are a little bigger to put them in. but I'm still scared about the cherries dying from being transferred. They all look so happy in their algae kingdom box.

The one that started turning pale in my Fluvial tank that I returned to the algae box is doing well and seems to have recovered from the stress. I think he would have died if I left him in there.

Right now the Fluval is in chaos

I left for a day (two nights) and had a friend feed the guppies. For two little guppies she put in a LOAD of food. When I came back, one of them was having trouble swimming and his top fin was turning black. There was food littered on the bottom. I was very frustrated to say the least.

The Fluval is very difficult to clean, especially without knocking the plants around. My first solution was to ask a friend if I could borrow his corydora. The corydora is taking time to adjust and not cleaning much. So I just came back in with three ghost shrimp. Ugh.

I'm just imagining all the food in the filter....

So for this evening the status of my tank is a true resounding negative
Old 11-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
JEiffel
Algae Grower

So, I've returned the cory, and the three ghost shrimp seem fine. Hopefully the tank will be all cleaned up by morning.

I had a question though. The way guppy 1 died was strange. He was totally okay when I left, but 1 day later, his fins were blackened and he seemed to sink more head first. Do you think it's because he over ate? Maybe it damaged his swim bladder and he couldn't get enough oxygen? I don't know. It just seemed weird that he turned black around the edges. I put him in a separate bowl and he's just lying upside down moving his gills. I put two alka-seltzer in there because I read that its a good way to euthanize fish? Poor little dude.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
JEiffel
Algae Grower

Update - Day 4

Guppy 2 doesn't look too good. His fins are starting to turn lighter and darker in patches and he doesn't seem too interested in exploring. Theres still a little hope for recovery, but Im not sure.

The ghost shrimp seem fine, one had shed last night. And they're just starting to explore this morning. There's still food hanging around though, so hopefully they'll get to it before I have to try to do it myself :l

The tank is still clear and the plants all seem to be doing just fine.

Back in the cherry shrimp's algae box, life seems wonderful. It's like a resort for them. I'll almost hate to move them when the time comes. I counted 12 of the babies this morning, and they're growing strong. Here's a glimpse into their green world.
It's amazing what they can do in a little box with no filter or heater, and I soon as I try to put one in a real tank its game over. -_-

Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
JEiffel
Algae Grower

Update - Day 5

Guppy 2 went down under. It's sad, but my original plan was for this to be a shrimp tank, and so I guess thats what it will be.

I've successfully placed in my two bright red cherry shrimp. It's been over 12 hours and they seem at ease. The only problem is that the current of the filter seems to make it difficult for them to roam the center of the tank, so they're staying along the edges instead. Maybe once the plants in the back grow in, they can hold back some of the current?

The tall plants (the one on the right is wisteria, I believe) are putting out these reeeeeally long roots from mid-stem reaching down to the substrate. A little bizarre but interesting. They seem to be doing fine.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
vanish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Its pretty typical of wisteria to put out "air" roots.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
JEiffel
Algae Grower

Hm, well that makes sense because mine have plenty.

Okay soooo someone tell me...have I done something silly? I went out today to get a thermometer because I'm not sure if my tank heater is doing a proper job. While at the pet store I saw this cool looking sword fish. It's a Twinbar Solar Flare Swordtail. So I got one....

Now after doing a little bit of research I'm not sure if it was a good idea. Are my shrimp in danger? Should I return her?

There she is in her bag...
Old 11-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
dpod
Algae Grower

I think it would be better if the swordtail went back . 6 gallons is nowhere near enough room for it. If you want some livebearers in there look for endler's or perhaps guppies, but for swordtails you want something closer to 30 gallons as they're active and can grow to almost 3".

Also just fyi, if it has a sword, it's probably a male
Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
JEiffel
Algae Grower

Oh mannnnn. And I just let the little dude swim free. Getting him out of the Fluval will be a task. I'll take your word for it, I looked around on the internet too and swordtails seem to be a little more on the aggressive side of community fish as well.

If I were to get another one, I might consider trying the guppies again. Or how about a dwarf gourami? I think a lone gourami would look nice, no? Would it be alright in a 6 gallon with shrimp?
Old 11-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #14
JEiffel
Algae Grower

So I couldn't get the names of all my plants at first but I think I have it figured out now
Going from left to right:

- Anubias and Java Moss on a lava rock
- Hygrophyla corymbosa "stricta"
- Dwarf hair grass in the foreground
- Rotala Wallichii
- Wisteria
- Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae (micro-sword?)

What say ye with plant knowledge??
Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 AM   #15
JEiffel
Algae Grower

Okay!
Last update for today!
The fish? Gone. I returned her to Petco today (there was no "sword" on the tail, so it was a girl! (: )
I've also gone through the laborious task of transferring the wee little baby shrimp to the tank, it took at least an hour. They are all now in there. Lets hope most of them make it!

The tank is starting to show slight signs of clouding. Hopefully it won't get any worse... :/ Only time will tell...

So. Homework.

Tags
advice, fluval, journal, red cherry shrimp, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.