bluecheese's 55 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
bluecheese
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

bluecheese's 55 gallon

Hey yall, a buddy of mine gave me, GAVE ME! a 55 gallon tank. I figured I would start a journal to see how this goes, and get some feedback. Let me preface all of this by saying that I have no idea of what I'm doing. So if it looks like I'm about to poison my family or burn my house down, shoot me a pm.

Let's get this mutha humpin' party started!

I currently have a 29 long medium tech(?). I plan to move that tank over to the new one.

Here's a pic of the current set up:

This is the current 29 long.

When I first set this one up, I did some light reading on how planted tanks worked, bought some stuff, threw it into the tank, and prayed. I hope to have a better plan this time.

Anyway, its opening day of college football season, so my attention is going to be split between that and this tank. I'll post some pics of the new tank in a bit.

Last edited by bluecheese; 08-31-2013 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: .
bluecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looking good so far
Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
bluecheese
Planted Member

Ok, so I snapped some pics of the 55 gallon earlier

Just look at this funky son of a b

The guy I got this from likes the idea of having a fish tank, but hates the actual reality of having a tank. No maintenance was performed. The tank has some nasty old algae and hard water spots on the glass.

I removed the silly purple gravel, which smelled of fish and wet dog, and filled with a water/bleach mixture. How much bleach did I use? Not sure, I didn't pay attention, sue me.

Right now I'm draining the tank, and I'm gonna refill it with water/declorinator, drain again, and start working on the algae and hard water.

On a side note, college football is on, and the first game is Texas A&M vs. Rice. Way to start that season off with a marquee opponent Aggies. Manziel is benched for half a game? That's ok. I'm pretty sure Rice only plays half a game anyway.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
bluecheese
Planted Member

On my earlier side note: I just checked the score of the game and Rice is up 14-7. I may have to eat my words.... probably not though.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
bluecheese
Planted Member

I'm going to use a fluval 306 for filtration

I have a small power head (can't remember the brand name) that I'll be using to get some good flow in the tank.

I also just got a co2 regulator from Aquatek

Some may scoff at this cheap regulator, to them I say nay, I will prove this regulator is the bomb or die trying. I'm just hoping the regulator doesn't turn the co2 tank into some sort of missile.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

I have that same exact aquatek regulator. I've been using it for over a year now and have never had any issues. I have a 24oz. paintball tank setup. Looking forward to your setup!
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
bluecheese
Planted Member

Thanks for the reply. The aquatek had some good reviews, so I decided to roll the dice with it.

I still need to find a co2 tank. The local craigslist only has 20 pounders which would be too big to fit under the cabinet. And for some reason my local welding supply company doesnt sell em. So the search continues.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Nismostyle
Algae Grower

I've been using the aquatek regulator for over 2 years now with no issues as well. Can't beat it for the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Nismostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
bluecheese
Planted Member

Thats what I've been reading.

LSU won tonight, so I won't be in a depressed funk tomorrow.

I cleaned the tank earlier today. I'm gonna clean it again tomorrow for good measure.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Metalmike415

Use vinegar for your hard water stains and algae then rinse well. Vinegar work good.
Metalmike415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
bluecheese
Planted Member

Thats what I did. I smell like a pickle who's been drinking too much. Before I left the house I noticed some more hard water stains. Gonna take care of that tomorrow after I sleep tonights debauchery off.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
bluecheese
Planted Member

Alright, I slept off last night and headed to Home Depot for some supplies. I plan to make a Cerges style reactor to run inline with the Fluval 306. I have no idea what I'm doing, and it must show; an employee approached me and tried to help. I just wanted the conversation to end, and ran out of there as soon as an opening came. I may run to Lowe's later where the employees are more apathetic.

Anyway, some tank pics:

"Whats he doing?!?!" I hear you gasp.

That's right, I'm painting a background. Call the cops, I don't care.

A thousand coats of paint, and one sore pointer finger later, and I'm almost done.

bluecheese approves

On a side note, how do the homies paint so much on the sides of bridges? I just painted a small tank, and I'm icing my hand down. I suspect that there'll be a glut of gangsters with carpel tunnel in a couple of years clogging the health care system.

Last edited by bluecheese; 09-07-2013 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: .
bluecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Nice paint job. I am enjoying this thread very much!
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
bluecheese
Planted Member

Thanks for checking it out. I'm still putting come coats of paint on it. I bought two .97 cans of cheapo paint, and I'll be dammed if I don't use all of it.

I ran by Lowes, and was just as lost as I was in the Home Depot. Thankfully the employees pretended like I wasn't there. I may need to get my more mechanically inclined buddy to help me set up the plumbing.

I couple of weeks ago I drew up a schematic what I wanted the plumbing to look like. Prepare to be amazed

I got some input from another thread, and I may add a bypass to run before and after the reactor. Its important that I can put a drain on this thing as I'm lazy, and I like to prepare for my future laziness.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #15
bluecheese
Planted Member

I've got wood! (Incidentally, that is the same line I used when I first met my wife. 10 years of marriage later and she still things I'm an idiot.)

Got this from PlantBrain a couple of weeks ago. Its been soaking in a crawfish pot since.

I know what you're saying, "bluecheese, I can't wait to see that wood in the tank!"

Slow your roll, homey. I can't just go stuffing wood in there like its prom night. This tank's a lady, and I'm gonna make sweet love to her, Barry White style.

I really like that big log at the top of the picture, so it'll definitely be in there. Probably do some amorphous branch thing opposite the log. We'll see.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be in Baton Rouge for the LSU home opener and Sunday is the first Saints game, so I'll be busy (drunk) all weekend. I took this coming Wednesday off of work, so with any luck I'll be able to get the tank set up in the house and cycling by the end of next week.

So yall have a good weekend. Who dat and Geaux Tigers!