Newbie Needs Help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
fischman
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Newbie Needs Help

Hello all, I've been reading on here for a couple days and have been preparing to setup my first serious tank.

My Goals:

26 Gallon Tank
Plants that work in low to mid light, but I'd like to avoid CO2 atleast until I'm comfortable with having a tank up and running.
Haven't decided on the fish yet, however I have some Danio's and Tiger Barbs that will likely be moved to this tank. I would like shrimp and snails as well along with some other fish to be determined at a later date.

My Question:

The tank I got came with a flourescent 18watt bulb. I'm looking around at options for lighting and have found a few I'm curious about.

1)Deleted

Would 28watts of T5 light be enough, since it would put me right over 1 watt/gallon?

2)Deleted

If not, would this be too much? (2x24watt)

Any other suggestions? I have the Aqueon bowfront tank and this is the first time adding anything extra to a tank other than filters and bubblers and the such. I'm trying to read all I can, but I have the tank sitting here and wanted to finish getting the basics so I can begin setting it up.

Thanks for all of the help!

Edit: It appears I don't have the post count to post the links. The 2 lights are: 1) Coralife Aqualite double Strip (2 x 14watt) and 2) Nova Extreme 24" (2 x 24watt). Both use T5 bulbs.
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Welcome to TFH!

If you don't want to set up CO2 for this tank just yet, then don't go with a T5HO fixture. One of the T5NO fixtures (the Coralife) should work very well for you, though. That's the same fixture I'm running over my own 29gal low tech and I'm quite happy with it.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
fischman
Planted Member

Thanks for the recommendation, another question. If I were to get a 1 x 24watt T5HO how much brighter would that be then the 2 x 14watt T5NO, if at all. I really want to prepare for the future and am considering doing a DIY C02 kit and then migrating to the full Pressurized kit. If I got a 2 x 24watt T5HO could I remove one light or will it not work that way? Thanks for all of the help!

Josh
Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

The T5HO fixture would be good if you've got pressurized CO2, but unfortunately most of them won't run with just one bulb.

You could always get 2 of the T5NO fixtures (they're very slim so 2 would actually fit OK), and run the 2nd one once you've got CO2 going. I think they'd end up pretty close to the same price as a T5HO fixture anyways?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
fischman
Planted Member

Wow, thanks for the great and fast reply! I was actually just thinking about that as another option and it looks like it would be cheaper and using timers I could do a gradual on and off in the morning and evening. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
Huzzah
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischman View Post
Wow, thanks for the great and fast reply! I was actually just thinking about that as another option and it looks like it would be cheaper and using timers I could do a gradual on and off in the morning and evening. Thanks again!
I haven't set it up yet & I'm waiting for some input on whether it would put my 36 gallon tank at "High Light", but I have 2 of the Coralife Dual T5 fixtures and all the reading I did certainly made it sound like a good investment. I've been running one of them on my tank for quite a while now & have been very happy with it.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
fischman
Planted Member

Well, I received my Coralife T5NO fixture today. I do have one final question. Right now the way I have it setup is with both the Coralife 28Watts(14 x 2) and my stock flourescent, T8 15watt (8000K) both on top of the tank. The mixture of the colors of the bulbs looks really nice in the tank. How is the extra 15 watts of T8 light affecting my lighting? Does this put me solidly in the Medium light range. A total of 28watts T5NO and 15 Watts of T8 for a total of 43 Watts on a 27gallon Bowfront. The tank is 20" deep if that means anything. This gives me 1.59 Watts per gallon but I've read the T5NO is equivelant to more than 1 watt of T8. Thanks for the help!

BTW, I've now decided to run a DIY CO2 for a bit until I can afford a nice pressurized system. Everything I've read says that it'll help me in a low/mid light tank with growing more plants. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

How about a picture?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischman View Post
Right now the way I have it setup is with both the Coralife 28Watts(14 x 2) and my stock flourescent, T8 15watt (8000K) both on top of the tank. This gives me 1.59 Watts per gallon but I've read the T5NO is equivelant to more than 1 watt of T8.
The WPG rule is based on T12 bulbs. A 28W T5NO produces about the same light output as a 32W T8
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote