Thinking about smallish pleco for 100g planted - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #16
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Guys be careful with Bristlenoses... I had a male that shredded swords that bad, I had to relocate it! It was probably his attempt on fighting algae, but he took the entire tissue off. Looked like laceplants afterwards. I bet it was an exception, or my bad luck... still... I might try another male later.
This is precisely why I don't have my 2 Ancistrus males any longer. They also rasped a little too much on my Cryptocorynes. So far, Chaetostoma thomasi (rubberlip-nose or whatever) have been plant-safe.
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #17
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks, Mike! Nice to know when you're missed! I'm afraid I've been too busy with my other hobby (pool) lately...
Well, I bought a snowball pleco yesterday- cute little guy. Hope he'll do okay, the clerk said he wouldn't eat plants, and I trust his knowledge pretty well. If I have any problems, though, I have a back-up plan. He can go in my 30 community grow out tank. It would be nice to get a mated pair and try to get them to breed...
MEMBER: #15 Eheim Pimps Club, Cory Addicts Anonymous, COAST, AGA.
550g pond= koi, comets/shubunkin, water lillies.
165g RES turtle pond in progress.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
30g= cories, platies, platy fry, ghost shrimp.
18g= platy fry
10g= baby RES tank- Turtlebuddy
30g= temp. adult RES tank- Myrtlemamma
20gL= temp. juv. RES tank- Tweak and Mertle
wonder woman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM   #18
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
This is precisely why I don't have my 2 Ancistrus males any longer. They also rasped a little too much on my Cryptocorynes. So far, Chaetostoma thomasi (rubberlip-nose or whatever) have been plant-safe.
James,
I've had a single rubber-lipped pleco in my 40g for about four months that does his job, but for some reason, in my 125g I've lost every rubber-lipped that I tried adding...four in total. One I found dead, but the other three just up and vanished. They're the only fish that I've had this happen to in this tank. All my otos and other plecos (2 pitbull and one bristlenose) are fine...go figure.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:50 PM   #19
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i've had a similar problem: my original rubber lipped dissapeared and now my second one seems to not be eating any algae. in fact he had been hanging out on the glass, acting like he was eating. now after a water change, he is on the floor of the tank not acting like much. he's still alive though.
isn't it wierd when fish just dissappear?
how is the snowball settling in?
kris

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 05:51 AM   #20
nightowl
Algae Grower

I had been thinking about getting a small pleco also. I've never had a pleco before. At planet catfishes site it says the snowball pleco should be in a tank with caves, some roots and no plants. I wonder if that means they will eat the plants. I hope not. How is yours doing so far?
Eheim #87
nightowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 02:33 PM   #21
mrk442
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have had great luck with my Rubber lip in my tank. I never used to see him and he seemed to be slowly wasting away. I added a small power head that creates current along the one side and part of the front of the tank "pretty strong really" and now he sits in the current all day and eats algae off the glass, rocks, and wood in that area its the only spot in the tank that he will eat or even go for that matter. He was wasting away now he is nice and plump and i get to see him all day
mrk442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #22
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (197/100%)

I also reccomend the rubberlipped or rubbernosed pleco. They don't get more than 3-4" and they have a cool plated armor look to them.

As for disappearing fish I added an upsidedown catfish to my 75 gallon tank 5 months ago and never saw him until the other day so you never know. Perhaps you have 4 plecos hiding out somewhere.
AaronT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 PM   #23
ksand
Planted Member

Default Snowball Pleco

I've kept a snowball for a little over a year now (picture ). It hasn't gotten any bigger than about 4", but it does get rowdy and can tear stuff up. It's a great fish, but shy, and should be given a hiding place. It definitely eats plants and rasps on wood, but I feed it regularly with sinking wafers and frozen bloodworms, and it keeps the damage to a minimum. Once I had sand in that tank, and I fed live blackworms. Some of the blackworms burrowed into the sand. Well, the next morning I found that it had excavated the entire front of the substrate, digging a trench the length of the tank. "Fancy Plecos" as they are called are great fish, I wish I could keep more of them. IMO the clown is the nicest-looking, especially against a black substrate. Oh, and it will get lighter in color if you have a lighter substrate.

PS... and mine would attach to the glass and eat some algae, but it was not very thorough.

Last edited by ksand; 12-08-2004 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Addendum
ksand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 11:48 PM   #24
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm worried about my little guy. Since I put him in the tank on Sunday, he has done nothing but hang on the glass (occasionally moving to a different part of the glass). He hasn't even made a move for any of the food (flakes and live blackworms) I've fed the fish in the tank. I'll keep an eye on him, and remove him at first sight of destruction, but for now, I'd just like to see him eat SOMETHING.
MEMBER: #15 Eheim Pimps Club, Cory Addicts Anonymous, COAST, AGA.
550g pond= koi, comets/shubunkin, water lillies.
165g RES turtle pond in progress.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
30g= cories, platies, platy fry, ghost shrimp.
18g= platy fry
10g= baby RES tank- Turtlebuddy
30g= temp. adult RES tank- Myrtlemamma
20gL= temp. juv. RES tank- Tweak and Mertle
wonder woman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 11:50 PM   #25
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk442
I have had great luck with my Rubber lip in my tank. I never used to see him and he seemed to be slowly wasting away. I added a small power head that creates current along the one side and part of the front of the tank "pretty strong really" and now he sits in the current all day and eats algae off the glass, rocks, and wood in that area its the only spot in the tank that he will eat or even go for that matter. He was wasting away now he is nice and plump and i get to see him all day
i'm a bit confused. i'm sure it's me: what is a powerhead? a motor? is that appropriate in a smaller tank? (30 gallon) does he eat anywhere else in your tank? i am imagining a tank with a line of algae that just stops, as if there were an electric fence...

kris

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 11:55 PM   #26
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Powerhead. They come in different sizes so you can find one appropriate for your particualr tank size.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:57 PM   #27
mrk442
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

not quite an electric fence but pretty close lol my oto's keep the rest pretty clean he just hangs out in the right front corner everything there is spotless

My tank is only a 40 gallon and i have about the smallest power head i could find in there i placed it inside of a small pot/jar with pieces broke out that way it is hidden it looks like this current is just flowing from the pot Its not massive flow it does not disrupt the surface at all but creates good current right in front of it and along the front for a little ways "maybe 5-10 inches"

Planing a 65g Tall done right from the start using Tom Barr's Non-Co2 Method now I just need to figure out the lighting!
mrk442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #28
Mori
Wannabe Guru

I got rubberlip to replace my dead CAE (since my clown pleco didn't eat algae) and he seems to be putting up a good effort. Very nice-looking fish, as well as cheap! He's only an inch long so he needs a little magcleaner help, but he acts like he's trying and that's what's important.
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.