My water parameters, please advise
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-03-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
Rickster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

90 gallon tank
KH 9
PH 6.9, Controlled by pressurized co2 and Ph controller
Nitrates 12.5 MG/L
PO4 .25 MG/L
Temp 78
GH 12
40% weekly water changes, well water.
I set the tank up on 2/23. Plants are growing like crazy. Rotala indica is nice and red and has grown to the top and now 4 or 5 inches across the surface. Same for both the green and tropical sunset hygro. New growth on the tropical sunset is nice and red. Corkscrew val has sent out dozens of runners and baby plants are popping up everywhere. Same goes for the jungle val. My large swords are putting up three new leaves a week and each has sent up three shoots with baby plants all over them. All plants are pearling constantly. Kinda looks like a tank ful of alkaseltzer :shock: . So is there anything I should change, add, modify? Or should I just keep it as it is? Thanks
Eheimpimp#137
90 gallon tank with water and some fish. Plants died and tank overrun with algae. Lights nearly burst into flames last weekend. Needs lots of help
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

It sounds great, never monkey with success! 8)
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:24 PM   #3
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Things seem to be going pretty well. Looking at your parameters, I thought that the PO4 could be a little higher, perhaps 1mg/l. You want to keep the nitrate/phosphate ratio around 10/1 respectively.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Since things are going so well, I would definitely be very hesitant to change ANYthing. Marcel is definitely right - bringing your Nitrogen to phosphorus ratio closer to 10:1 by either lowering NO3 or raising PO4 will help with plant color and leaf shape slightly. You might get some more red out of the Rotala and Sunset Hygro, that's about it.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:29 PM   #5
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glad to see your swords are growing well, mine are doing nothing except staying small.... Dito, if it's all working out, keep it up and maybe bring your nitrates down a little bit and the PO4 up, a 10:1 ratio is good (now I sound like a broken record...), lol! Great job!

-Tim
SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
Rickster
Algae Grower

Here's a really crappy pic I took about 10 days ago. It's of the right side of the tank
Eheimpimp#137
90 gallon tank with water and some fish. Plants died and tank overrun with algae. Lights nearly burst into flames last weekend. Needs lots of help
Old 04-03-2003, 06:28 PM   #7
Rickster
Algae Grower

I'll take another shot(just as crappy) tonight from the same angle to see the difference.
Eheimpimp#137
Old 04-03-2003, 06:33 PM   #8
Rickster
Algae Grower

I'm going to start adding some phosphate. Should I get the triple phosphate from litemanu.com ?
Eheimpimp#137
Old 04-03-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

What's the matter? Too embarassed to buy some Fleet Enema from the drug store? haha!! Seriously, for two bucks you'll have enough to last a looong time. The only downside being the strange looks from the cashier. Adding 1 ml (about 20 drops from the dispenser it comes in) will raise the PO4 in your 90g by 0.4ppm

Oh and try turning off the flash on your camera when you take the picture. Even on auto, it should be able to take a pretty good shot.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:41 PM   #10
Rickster
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
What's the matter? Too embarassed to buy some Fleet Enema from the drug store? haha!! Seriously, for two bucks you'll have enough to last a looong time. The only downside being the strange looks from the cashier. Adding 1 ml (about 20 drops from the dispenser it comes in) will raise the PO4 in your 90g by 0.4ppm

Oh and try turning off the flash on your camera when you take the picture. Even on auto, it should be able to take a pretty good shot.
LOL. Yeah that's part of it. Hmmm, maybe I can send the wife out to get it. I mean how many times have I gone out to get her femme thingies :roll: . The photo, yeah but all I had at the time was some really slow speed film. The exposure without flash was about three seconds. So I figured what the heck a bad pic is better than no pic
Eheimpimp#137
Old 04-03-2003, 08:08 PM   #11
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could order Mono Potassium Phosphate from litemanu and use the dosing calculator (if you don't know it, it is http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm) to dose phosphate, that is probably what I am going to do, since I know how much I'm dosing....

-Tim
SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:37 PM   #12
Work In Progress
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Work In Progress Send a message via MSN to Work In Progress

Quote:
I mean how many times have I gone out to get her femme thingies
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :hehe:
Old 04-03-2003, 08:37 PM   #13
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I second the mono potassium phosphate idea. It's what I use. You also might want to get some potassium sulfate. It doesn't appear that you are dosing potassium.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:10 AM   #14
Rickster
Algae Grower

Oops. I forgot to mention that. I started dosing potassium on Wednesday. I used that web site calculator to figure my dosage
Eheimpimp#137
Old 04-04-2003, 03:00 PM   #15
Rickster
Algae Grower

Here is the new pic from the same angle and two weeks after the earlier one.
Eheimpimp#137