Discus Companions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-03-2004, 02:10 AM   #1
Spar
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Discus Companions

I will be getting some Discus soon (probably 6 2" ones) but already have a tank full of fish. Will someone with experience let me know which ones in the list below are absolute "No's"?

4 - YoYo Loaches (Need to get rid of them anyway when I go for Cardinals)
1 - Scarlet Pleco (L-forgot)
1 - Green Phantom Pleco (L-200)
1 - Ram
1 - Rainbow
1 - Zebra Danio
5 - Cory's (4 Orange-line and 1 Julius)
1 - Flying Fox
1 - Siamese Algea Eaters
1 - Neon
2 - Killies (not sure what kind, Yellow with Red Lining on fins)

It is a 50g planted tank (fairly heavily planted) with 2 large peices of Driftwood.
100g - Planted Tank (mainly Swords)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/cbporter52/
Spar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 02:19 AM   #2
igotworms
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

if u are planning on breeding these guys plecos should probly go because they can tend to eat the eggs. im not sure about the killes. the rams will do great with the discus andthe other guys should be fine if there not too agressive . some other good discus companions are cardal tetras and rummynose tetras. once again the plecos should go.

good luck with ur discus there great.
igotworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:21 AM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Ram, Corys, Neon and Killies are definite ok. Danio can be a little skittish and scare the Discus, but will probably be ok. Plenty of Discus owners keep SAE's, but also complain that the SAE's scarf down the food before the Discus can get at it.
I don't have any Discus I've been considering keeping them for a while now and have been doing quite a bit of research.
GulfCoastAquarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:44 AM   #4
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

the killie you are describing sounds like a golden wonder. google "golden wonder killie" and you should get plenty of info. in my experience they hang at the surface and would probably do just fine with discus. cardinals, rummies, and hatchets (stay away from marbles... way too delicate) make a great tank with several discus.

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
smellsfishy0
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

all those fish seem ok tankmates...........just need to stay away from fish that like to dart around cause it will spook discus easy.....in my 75g i have 4 discus 6 corycats 1 SAE a juvi albino bushynose pleco and a common pleco.....thinkin about a school of cardinals next....hth-----AndyM
Old 12-03-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong

The SAEs get troublesome as they get larger. They will nibble on anything-even the fins of the discus. You will see little white bite marks on their fins and the discus will be more skittish. I am about to remove my pack 8 sae's this weekend. They were fine until they got bigger and ate all the algae in the tank. Ive seen this happen with two different packs of SAE's.

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder
rayhwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:54 PM   #7
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

Ummm...discus get huge! I think 6 discus in a 50 gallon tank is too many. I'd stick with 2-3...4 max.
AaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:04 AM   #8
Spar
Wannabe Guru

I actually got 10 in there Red-Turquoise ones

dont worry though, my intentions are to only have 4 adults. At 2" each right now it isn't crowded. At times I dont even see any! Good little hiders!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
Laith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

6 discus in that tank is definately too many, at least when they get to be full grown adults.

I have 3 medium size discus that fit well in my 200l tank. Then the other day I saw a full grown pair at the lfs: huge! I mean you don't really imagine how big they are when someone says they're 20cm (8") long. But its easy to forget that they are 20cm *round* so we're actually talking diameter here !
Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

Having 10 discus and only keeping 4 adults won't work. 10 discus in a tank that small will not reach full adulthood because their growth will be stunted. You need to have as many discus in the tank as you want adults in the future. I'm not trying to tell you what to do here. I just don't want you to be disappointed later on when you're discus aren't what you planned.
AaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:19 PM   #11
Spar
Wannabe Guru

well, I only bought 6, and the other 4 came along as "hitch-hikers", so Im not really in the spot to complain. I am not growing them all out as adults and then sell them. I plan on gradually selling them off as they get a little bigger. 2" each is fine in there with 10 right now. Once they hit near 4" I will sell 4 or so. They need to get some color going first though.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:38 PM   #12
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

You are going to have a difficult time growing them out in that tank while maintaining water quality... If your intention is to sell them vs. keep them this is not an ideal setup.

For one, you'll need to feed them a diet very high in protein (Beef Heart, Bloodworm, brine shrimp) which will foul the water very quickly

Secondly, you're tank is pretty full already, so you'll need to do many, many water changes (50% every few days with your feeding regimine) to keep water quality where it should be for growing htem out for sale (otherwise they will have their growth stunted somewhat, may be out of proportion, etc)

Thirdly, those Yoyo's will become a problem and harass the discus when they get to around 3-4". I would choose between one or the other.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:08 AM   #13
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

You may find an issue with your flying fox and discus. When I first got my discus, the flying fox was very territorial and chased them out of all their hiding places. I wound up placing the flying fox in another tank for four months. When I set up my tank again, I left him out for quite some time before putting him back in and allowing the discus to settle in. Now they do fine, the discus know they are the boss. Also I have two killifish in with my discus and they do fine together. My SAE also leaves them alone. He lives in his own little world and ignores every one else in the tank.