Newman's Shrimp Bowl - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
crimsonbull57
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

deffinately! Very inspiring, I think I may start my own!
crimsonbull57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

thanks. shrimp babies are growing and getting more red. unfortunately cyano is also growing. itching to syphon it all out but cant for fear of getting the babies. can only really clean up the bowl once the babies grow up to be adults.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

more cyano, but as always the babies prevent me from getting to most of it. babies are growing well now, there are at least 15 of them in there. plus the 4 adults.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #19
moonshinetheslacker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

This looks pretty cool, you're doing a good job man.
moonshinetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #20
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

thank you moon
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #21
Euroamg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice bowl tank.. I should get one sometime...
Euroamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #22
yoshii
Algae Grower

Hey Newman! It's yoshii from NR

I've been thinking about setting up a FW again..this time one with live plants, so I'm researching :P
Your little shrimp bowl is really neat, and those shrimp are very colorful!
yoshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #23
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Hello Yoshi,

Glad to see you here. Thanks, this bowl will eventually house crystal red shrimp if everything goes according to plan. But for now I will rear a few generations of cherry shrimp to test out the possibilities of this bowl =)

I got some free Shirakura shrimp food in the mail today (donated a photo of one of my corals to a seller, and he was kind enough to send me some food.) Received two packs of Ebi Dama (80g of regular food), one pack of Ebi Dama Special (30g of vegetable-based food) and one pack of Chi Ebi (20g of baby shrimp food.)
The baby shrimp and adults really like this type of food; i've never seen them gravitate to any other food quite like this shirakura stuff
Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #24
yoshii
Algae Grower

Cool They remind me of pistol shrimp lol

Will the shrimp eat just about anything? Like regular flake food or pellets or something?
yoshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #25
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

they're supposed to eat anything, and I've been feeding mine various pellet and flake foods for fish, but they never really respond well and dont swarm over them like they did when they found the shirakura food lol. i can tell they really like the ingredients in that one.

But the dwarf shrimp's foods are supposed to be blanched vegetables, algae disks, and other fish foods you can think of. vegetables are very important though. Plus the shrimp can survive for a long time in a tank (or bowl) just by eating various deposits, microfauna, algae, and even decaying plant material.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

So Update on the Shrimp bowl:

There are well over 20 shrimp in here now. I do not know at what point I will move some back to the 40 gal, but I'm thinking after the little guys grow up a bit more. Then one of the big females and a big male are going back, and I will let the little ones grow more yet, before i move some of them over to the 40 gal. The max number of shrimp I intend to leave in this tank for breeding is around 5.
However this is going to be very difficult because the female that gave birth last time has been berried for the last week again, and may give birth yet again, before these little ones make it to being juveniles...These things really like to over populate lol.
I am feeding them the shirakura foods, they are liking them very much.
I am now able to take care of the cyano during each water change by syphoning it out. Any shrimp babies that I syphon out are now very visible and easily transported back to the bowl. With this method I was able to somewhat clean up the cyano in the tank.
I have decided to do water changes on this tank twice weekly. Will likely move that to maybe more frequently in the future.
I could really use some Amazon frogbit in here to shade the plants, but I will only have access to the plant in late spring.
The baby shrimp are now visible on the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2536.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	26373  

Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #27
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

I moved out one male and one female adult out of the tank today. should make some space for the little ones.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #28
shoteh
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Wow looking nice so far. That bowl looks awefully close to the edge IMO. Also any more pix of the SW setup. I see some clowns.
Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more night and observe. This time with cucumber which is recommended. ~ CHUNTC
shoteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #29
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

yes the bowl is a bit close to the edge, but dont worry nobody but me ever goes near that corner of the room and the bowl is balanced well. Eventually it will be moved to another room to sit on a coffee table.

The clowns are living here right now:

Its kind of serving as my "frag tank with a scape" type of thing. it sits next to the shrimp bowl.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #30
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Doing water changes twice a week now. different angle of the bowl, all clean after a WC last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2541.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	26481