Just me?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Just me?

Is it just me, or does it feel nothing like Winter? I mean, I remember when it used to snow on Halloween and early October last year or so. It only snowed once so far and not much maybe even less than 1 inch, and a couple rain and wind storms.

It's a little bit chilly yes, but I remember it being colder and more snow... not that I enjoy the cold and the snow, but the weather just seems a little off to me this year. And supposedly it's gonna get WARMER this week? What?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Cboss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Yeah, it has been a VERY warm and dry summer and fall in Colorado. I like the warmer temps, but we need some rain/snow so that Boulder will quit catching on fire.
Cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
CannaBrain
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's been nice, I think. We never have falls that long, nice change. I heard this winter is supposed to be like this. Mountains should get hammered, but everywhere else I heard will be mostly dry, windy. Guess we'll see!
CannaBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I think we are in an El nina cycle, which usually means a calm winter for us.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Oh I see, it feels kinda weird though. But I don't really like to drive in the snow and ice, so I guess that is good thing xD
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
LilGreenPuffer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to LilGreenPuffer Send a message via Skype™ to LilGreenPuffer

Global warming is FAIL... We're having mid-fall weather over here. I'm wearing a light jacket today.
LilGreenPuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Well, it finally snowed!! I don't know how I managed, but I went to King Soopers to get some ingredients for meal of the week and I skid my car 5x twhen stopping for lights, and fish tailed twice to turn onto another street! Well surely, I can't be that bad of driver I had skidding problems last year so this year I drive even more slow (10-15 below posted) and break extremely early, but I guess I still have this problem. I still blame my brakes...

In fact... I hope I don't get a ticket cuz I ran a yellow light at a camera intersection and I was only half way through the turn when the arrows turned yellow. Normally I don't run yellow lights, but I was really scared of skidding so I had to go for it. T_T
Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
decoman
Planted Member

in Chicago all the snow melted and its 50 degrees alredy
decoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

We've had two real snowstorms here in central NC so far, which is already above average for the total winter (the last white Christmas here was something like 65 years ago).

And here I am with a compact, rear-wheel drive pickup. When I lived outside Boston, I used to keep 400lbs of sand in the back during the 11 1/2 winter months. And nobody here knows how to drive in the snow. So, when the flakes start falling, I resolve to stay home for the duration.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
boringname
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Its 65 degrees here in my L.A. apartment and I'm shivering so it feels like winter here. I'm going to have to wear socks to bed tonight.
boringname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 AM   #11
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
We've had two real snowstorms here in central NC so far, which is already above average for the total winter (the last white Christmas here was something like 65 years ago).

And here I am with a compact, rear-wheel drive pickup. When I lived outside Boston, I used to keep 400lbs of sand in the back during the 11 1/2 winter months. And nobody here knows how to drive in the snow. So, when the flakes start falling, I resolve to stay home for the duration.
Yea, a friend of mine also tells me to put bags of sand in my trunk. I driving a 2003 Subaru LEgacy Wagon. I dunno, I stop at the lights EARLY, and compress the brakes lightly until all the way down to slow to a stop. The brake pedal vibrates really weak and the car is sliding and I push down even harder and maybe 3-5 secs after that the car comes to stop at an angle like this: /

I don't know what is at fault, might be me. I drive 10-15 below posted speed limit and I brake extremely early to try to prevent the skid. I think I really annoy the drivers behind me because I do this, but I'm scared half to death every time I do skid! Sometimes it does help especially at places where the road is 'clean'. But sometimes I am close to the light that I either have to decide to run the yellow or try to stop. I try to stop at the yellow and this problem always comes up if I'm really close to the point of no return. Problem is the guy next to me was even driving faster than me and he manage to stop without a problem.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

For acceleration, you want as much weight over the drive wheels as possible. For braking, you want weight toward the front, rather than the back. So if braking is your issue, extra weight in the trunk is the wrong place for it.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
mightyoak
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Well surely, I can't be that bad of driver I had skidding problems last year so this year I drive even more slow (10-15 below posted) and break extremely early, but I guess I still have this problem. I still blame my brakes...

T_T
Drove to Denver and back yesterday down I-25 and you would not believe how many cars were wiped out on the side of the road. At one point I glanced in my rear view mirror an saw a truck spinning in circles right behind me. Watched two others spin out going about 50 mph coming the other way. It was well below freezing so it was not the snow but the ice that was getting everyone. You can't be that bad of a driver....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
and compress the brakes lightly until all the way down to slow to a stop. The brake pedal vibrates really weak and the car is sliding and I push down even harder and maybe 3-5 secs after that the car comes to stop at an angle like this: / T_T
Anti lock brakes?
try not to push the brakes so hard. If the wheels lock up you will slide on ice so you have to brake slow and easy. If you are sliding do not push harder on the brakes and start slowing down even sooner than you are.

maybe go out to an empty parking lot today and skid around awhile to get to know what the car is doing when you slam on the brakes vs braking slowly and steadily. Spin out, slide, stomp on the brakes, etc. I have had three different Subarus and they are great in the snow 4 wheel drive or not!
mightyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
Kdblove_99
Algae Grower

Starting to finally feel like winter.. Time to bring out the Stouts!!
Kdblove_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdblove_99 View Post
Starting to finally feel like winter.. Time to bring out the Stouts!!
Winter brews are my favorite beers. Not to be confused with "holiday" brews.