Bulbs for newbie
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
notsogreenthumb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bulbs for newbie

So several months back I purchased some Top Fin "assorted live plant bulbs" from petsmart. Only 1 out of 6 actually sprouted despite their "guarantee" to sprout in 30 days. I decided to try my luck with the bulbs again as I find that the one that DID sprout is doing very well far better than any of the the pre-grown plants sold dry with gel on their roots to start everytime I add one of these to my tank they dont really "take" and simply wilt and die after a few weeks yet the one that came from a bulb continues to go strong. Is there anything special I should know about getting bulbs to sprout or is it just luck? Its a small 5 gallon tank with only 1 betta it's lit with the basic overhead light that came with the tank. The onyl nutrients I have bene adding are in the form of API "root tabs" which have iron / phosphates / potassium in them. The bulbs are water lilly onion and aponogeton.
notsogreenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I can't help you on the bulbs but those "pre-grown" plants your speaking of in the gel are probably not true aquatic plants in the first place. Petsmart and Petco label them as such but they are bog plants mostly.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
timwag2001
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

those bulbs are hit or miss. i wouldnt waste your money. most of the plants that come in the gel do better in a pot next to your window. their leaves should not be submergred. they do sometimes sell anubias and i think some swords but just skip them all together. i would recommend getting plants from the swap and shop section in this forum. you're pretty much gauranteed to be happy. here is a list of non aquatic plants for you to learn to avoid. http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_...hp?category=11 and here is a great list of aquatic plants http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...finder/all.php
timwag2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
notsogreenthumb
Algae Grower

Thanks Timwag I have bought several Dracaena sanderiana and now I know why they die every time! I'll look into getting plants from a different source.

Edit: In general, is it better to bury the bulbs in the gravel or leave them on the surface so i can better observe if they do indeed sprout or not? I have heard if you leave dead bulbs in the tank you can get fungus infections which may kill my betta.
notsogreenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Porsche
Algae Grower

Bury the bulbs. I would use aquasoil not just any old gravel they are just rocks.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
lilaliend
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Newbie... just wanted to mention I've had pretty good luck w/ those bulbs actually. I recently picked two packs up at a local Petco. Didn't even know they existed. They were about $2.50 each, so I got 2 packs.

I have two tanks, a 75 gal & a 10 gal. Both have sand as the substrate and I have CO2 setup for both.

In just over a week (planted them last wed.) I now have 2 red lillies sprouting up, several stems from each that are about 1 in. long. There's 3 onion plants that have rooted well and are just barely sprouting leaves. Lastly, 2 mystery plants that have sprouted LONG thin stems/leaves that have seem to shot up overnight suddenly. About 6 inches.

So for $5, compared to just the price of 3 onion plants ($10-$12 each) and 2 lillies ($6-$8 each), already grown from my local tropics store, the bulbs are a HELL of alot cheaper. I don't even know what the 'mystery plants' are yet either. When they grow more I'm sure I'll be able to figure them out.
lilaliend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Re: Bulbs for newbie

The long stems are from the Aponogeton, they grow Crispus flowers.

Sorry I just saw this pop up, didn't even see the date.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote