CO2 and misc. in Boston
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 11-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

CO2 and misc. in Boston

Hey guys,

I was going to move my pressurized CO2 system from MI to here over thanksgiving. Since I cannot take it into the plane while it is full, I will obviously empty it, yet then would need to refill the tank. Where, around here, is there a shop and station where I can get the tank refilled? Does Skipton's doe it? I have yet to go there and check.

Thank you very much, and if anyone else has any ideas for getting plants around here or other scaping material (where I don't have to pay the shipping) please let me know.

Simon
Hobbes1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

I actually live in Rhode Island but I frequently visit Boston as I love that city and would love to live there some day. I can tell you straight up that your going to have a hard time finding even a half decent lfs that has a quality supply of plants and plant related materials. There are a few stores up there but nothing to write home about. Almost all of them are S/W heavy and have very few F/W products. I personally use this forum almost exclusively to find what I need. It's easy and by far cheaper (even with shipping charges). Everything in Boston is REALLY expensive ! As far as C02 goes look for a welding shop via google. That's how I get my C02 filled. We do have Air gas up here but since you have your own tank I'd recommend the welding shops. Air gas won't just fill your tank. They'll want to swap it out for one of their own old rusty steel tanks. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
zavikan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Framingham has tropical isle. They have around 10 tanks or so of plants. Decent selection that rotates new stuff in frequently. They have everything you could possibly need if there were any emergencies though. Good selection of fish too.

They are on the high end of expensive though (understatement).

As far as filling a co2 tank... Airgas here in Worcester is willing to fill a tank (not exchange) so just ask. I also take mine to a fire extinguisher place...they won't fill while I wait, but for $15 they fill mine, and I get a rental for a week so I can drop it off and pick it up at my convenience!

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
zavikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
timwag2001
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
Framingham has tropical isle. They have around 10 tanks or so of plants. Decent selection that rotates new stuff in frequently. They have everything you could possibly need if there were any emergencies though. Good selection of fish too. They are on the high end of expensive though (understatement). As far as filling a co2 tank... Airgas here in Worcester is willing to fill a tank (not exchange) so just ask. I also take mine to a fire extinguisher place...they won't fill while I wait but for $15 they fill mine and I get a rental for a week so I can drop it off and pick it up at my convenience!
tropic isle has an ok selection of plants. the best out of any lfs that i've ever visited. owners are very rude but their employees are pretty nice and knowlegeable. but like zavican said very expensive. their fish prices arent too bad but if it doesnt grow or swim they mark up the prices quite a bit. as far as co2. i dont know anyone in boston but there is a good place in southboro called maine oxy/spec-air in southboro. probably about 45 minutes away depending on where in boston you are. super nice people
timwag2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
ObjectAgnosia
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

When I was in Tropic Isle last week I overheard one of the employees talk about CO2 refills at their location. They had a pretty good selsction of FW fish and a decent selection of plants. For plants I still prefer Lovely Pets in Quincy center.
ObjectAgnosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
timwag2001
Planted Tank Guru

looking at their prices for co2 products i can only imagine how much their mark up on a refill would be.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

Does anyone know a source for a rimless 20gal tank around Boston?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #8
timwag2001
Planted Tank Guru

have you talked to spikeit?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

yea, however I don't get a response after the initial "yes you can have it"; I would love to get my hands on his setup, but he seems to be an elusive fella
Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

does anyone know of a local source for Mr. aqua tanks around Boston?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
discusmaniac
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

southboro maineoxy refills my 20 lb co2 tank for just 15$ plus tax. No one can beat that in MA.
discusmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote