Xalyx's 55 gallon high tech (56k) **UPDATE 2-22** - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-20-2010, 02:48 AM   #16
Xalyx
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
Alwaysgreat to see another 55g. Keep up the great work
Thanks. I was beginning to think no one liked 55gs
Xalyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Now that my internet is working somewhat and I have the day off, I am catching up with my favorites. How is the tank going with the addition of the two lights? I am really liking the stems on the right side of the tank. Are you keeping these 'test subjects' when you get more plants in? In my opinion, they are very, very lovely. You are really doing a good job with making the horrible depth of the 55 look great. Try sitting the camera on a flat surface or turning down the exposure. That helps me a lot. Any updates?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #18
Xalyx
Planted Member

Well I slowed down the updates because I wasnt really getting any feedback , so I some stages of the tank I didn't take pictures of sadly baw. With the addition of the two lights I had a lot of algae growth, so I turned them off and I'm only using 4. My centerpiece rocks that were white are now covered with a rusty brownish color because of that. I think it looks nice, but the downside to it is that my Cabamba stems on the right side look brown now because algae is all over them. Yes my lovely test subjects are staying, the only thing I took out was a lot of the java moss, but there's still some in there. I'll try and see if I still have a tripod for a flat surface picture, but for now this is what I have for updates

Flora list on 1st page updated.

Moonlight LEDs installed

6 pots of HC planted

This Ludiwa Repens has really grown, remember when these were just babies

Anubias golden and petite glued to rocks/driftwood

Flat surface picture My glass is too dirty >.<

Also planted Rotala Indica, Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba', Limnophila Hippuroides. No direct pictures of these because they looked badly shocked, I think the cuba has frost damage because I live in Chicago and it's freezing. I want to replant them because I kind of hid them in the back and I bunched them on a rush job.

Last edited by Xalyx; 12-04-2010 at 03:43 AM..
Old 12-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #19
Xalyx
Planted Member

Put in 15 red cherry shrimp today to deal with my algae problem. No pictures of them because my camera is only 8.1MP, I need to get a new one. They kind of little babies, maybe when they grow I could get some clear shots.

But not to disappoint, I have other pictures yay

Limnophila Hippuroides is dying. It arrived badly damaged from the cold. It's below freezing now in Chicago. They delayed it because of the Thanksgiving Holiday and waited to Monday to ship it because they didn't want my plants sitting in some truck. But that had it's own negative effects too, the weather suddenly dropped after Thanksgiving. I think only one stem is still alive and the rest are dead. I'm going to give them a chance but I think it's all going to die. Frost is a MFer.

The Rotala Indica is looking good though

HC is kind of growing. Ludwigia Repens looking great as always.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #20
SkyGrl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

cool. i like the way you approached this. nice variety of plants . i have a 8.2 mp camera and i was able to get some good pics with one of the settings... man you have to have alot of patience tho... those shrimp are FAST!

A my
Old 12-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #21
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

The flat surface picture is really clear. Gives me a good visual. Nice start up algae you have going there. I always hate out waiting this stage. You should journal despite the number of views or comments. In the beginning, I got a few comments, but I honestly have more views than comments. I am cool with that, since it's really just a way for me to keep record of the progress. I have an 8.0 and found feeding shrimp in the front with the macro setting helps get some decent shots. Plants are looking good with the exception of the dying limno. Sorry.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #22
Chafire
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Not sure about that moss...kinda looks like fissidens...I may be wrong.
SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
Chafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
Xalyx
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chafire View Post
Not sure about that moss...kinda looks like fissidens...I may be wrong.
Yes...... I have it listed as fissidens in my plant list. To be specific I have Taiwan moss and java moss on the centerpiece. And I have fissidens on the driftwood. Taiwan moss aka peacock moss looks like fissidens. You can't really tell that any of it is Java moss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
The flat surface picture is really clear. Gives me a good visual. Nice start up algae you have going there. I always hate out waiting this stage. You should journal despite the number of views or comments. In the beginning, I got a few comments, but I honestly have more views than comments. I am cool with that, since it's really just a way for me to keep record of the progress. I have an 8.0 and found feeding shrimp in the front with the macro setting helps get some decent shots. Plants are looking good with the exception of the dying limno. Sorry.
I have an old electric toothbrush that works underwater that I paid $10 for. My tank has never been so clean in a while. I didn't clean off so much that it looks unnatural but it looks great. I have some pieces of limo that are still alive and they're budding, I took them out of the ground and let them float, maybe they will survive. It's an amazingly beautiful plant if you haven't seen pictures of it you should google it. I might have an update today to show how my new amazing aquascaping toothbrush has changed my tank. But you may not be able to tell because I didn't really take pictures of how bad the algae got. On my centerpiece rock I had algae floating around it.

My new goal is to make my algae green, I forgot about this but I just remembered in the past I had tanks with brown algae and I enhanced my water quality and it turned green from doing more frequent water changes.

Shrimp under Moonlight LEDs makes for some interesting entertainment. lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

I used to have that plant but got sick of trimming it so much. Once it adjusted to my take, it took off. I hope you have success with it. Good luck growing the green algae. I am sure you'll be successful, lol. I've gotta get some LEDs.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
Xalyx
Planted Member

Default Upd. 12-21 New fish/shrimp and goodbye bucket brigade

No more Bucket Brigade!
Foster and Smiths Python No Spill Clean 'N Fill

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Octocinclus Catfish Qty 7

Almino Shrimp Qty 8

In the tank

Short Summary of whats happened so far....
A lot of my HC got burried in water changes. I didn't buy enough and I cut them pretty small. My algae is growing out the ass so that's the reason I bought these catfish and shrimp to take care of the problem a little. The Limno died off, I think it was damaged from bad shipping and the place I bought them from I won't be buying from again because Foster and Smith packages there stuff in an insulated box with heat packs overnight so that's just what I need for chicago weather. I wanted to see where this algae is going before I started buying more plants because my plants look really ugly with algae all over them.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #26
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Congrats on the python water changer. Life is so much simpler with those, huh? Where did you get your otos? They look fantastically healthy. How is the algae? Have you thought about lowering the light duration any from a 12 hour cycle?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #27
Xalyx
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Congrats on the python water changer. Life is so much simpler with those, huh? Where did you get your otos? They look fantastically healthy. How is the algae? Have you thought about lowering the light duration any from a 12 hour cycle?
I think they're necessary to scape, bucket brigade kind of completely destroyed my hc. Got them from Foster and Smith. Algae is painful. I'm on a 10 hour cycle now.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #28
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

I can't live without mine. I get the suction going to drain the water and then I turn off the faucet to save water. Takes a little longer, but worth it to me. I think you'll have great luck with the fish and shrimp helping with the algae, especially now that you are lowering your light duration.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #29
Xalyx
Planted Member

Some new pictures of my tank taken today. I'll update plant list later.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #30
Xalyx
Planted Member

Here are some updated pictures. I added a powerhead to increase surface agitation. I think my brown algae stage is over, which I am very thankful for, I was starting to feel disgusted with my tank :[my water is amazingly clear now. I think my brown algae cleared up because I started dosing nutrifying bacteria as well as the added plants. I haven't added any new plants since my last update. I did add new plants in my last update though and my Flora list is still out of date. I have to find some time to update it.

These pictures were taken with a 12MP camera, a good step above my usual 8MP (it shows ;o)

Tags
aquascape, fiftyfive, gallon, high tech planted tank, xalyx